Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

I would accept your resignation on the spot, as you clearly have some anger issues to work out. I guess on the internet is as good a place as any.

EDIT: If you're going to take the time to quote me, you might want to stop for a moment and read what you're quoting. You seem to have some issues with reading comprehension.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Expecting people to report what they did yesterday and what they are going to do today is the very definition of micromanagement. It stems from a mix of lack of trust in underlings ("is he actually working, or is he slacking?") and a desire to be aware of what said underlings are up to in case someone higher up asks. The manager covers his/her own butt, and this costs the team (15 x 4 x n / 60) hours every week, where n is the number of people who are forced the attend the standups every morning. And that doesn't even take into account the time it takes for people to get back fully into whatever they were working on before the meeting.

I think your math is wrong. First off, your equation comes out to 60 x n / 60 which = n, and that's not the case. A 15 minute meeting every morning =1.25 hr/week of meetings with a full team which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sarcasmatron posted:

I would accept your resignation on the spot, as you clearly have some anger issues to work out. I guess on the internet is as good a place as any.

You sound like a high quality guy.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think your math is wrong. First off, your equation comes out to 60 x n / 60 which = n, and that's not the case. A 15 minute meeting every morning =1.25 hr/week of meetings with a full team which seems pretty reasonable to me.

15 minute standups four days of the week, followed by a 30 minute weekly meeting. I don't have an issue with the latter, but daily standups come down to 1 hour per week per team member (15 mins * 4). If you have ten people on the team, congratulations, you're wasting 10 hours of employee time (15 * 4 * 10 / 60) per week on a meeting that would be completely redundant in any environment where the manager has set the culture and expectations correctly.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have run scrum projects before that require quick daily meetings on progress and issues, and it wasn't at all micromanagement, and I am a believer in the weekly team meeting in addition to quality 1:1 time.

I think what's get lost here is the nuance between the kind of work, kind of people, and size of the team. Running a construction site and managing a sales team, and software development are all different even if the fundamentals of management and leadership apply.

I kind of wish a manager in retail or fast food would chime in here since it's a different perspective.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I don't know about the rest, but I had a good laugh picturing him sitting there for 25 minutes in silence waiting for his employee to make awkward 1 sided small talk about random things.

Seriously, that's like an episode of the office.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Droo posted:

I don't know about the rest, but I had a good laugh picturing him sitting there for 25 minutes in silence waiting for his employee to make awkward 1 sided small talk about random things.

Seriously, that's like an episode of the office.
In my managerial past, I've had great success with scheduled one-on-one meetings. It was clear to my team that they were optional. Most of the time, we'd only spend five or ten minutes catching up and bullshitting, they'd vent about something that was making their life difficult, and they'd be out the door, not hanging around like hostages until the timer runs out. I would use this time to remind them of their accomplishments for the week. It was a valuable gesture because it communicated that, even though I have an open-door policy the other 39.5 hours of the week, I am allocating this block of time to you, everyone in the department knows this time is yours, and there will be no outside interruptions or distractions.

enraged_camel posted:

15 minute standups four days of the week, followed by a 30 minute weekly meeting. I don't have an issue with the latter, but daily standups come down to 1 hour per week per team member (15 mins * 4). If you have ten people on the team, congratulations, you're wasting 10 hours of employee time (15 * 4 * 10 / 60) per week on a meeting that would be completely redundant in any environment where the manager has set the culture and expectations correctly.
I'm digging this completely unfounded and unresearched assumption that time spent is time wasted.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 28, 2014

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Misogynist posted:

I'm digging this completely unfounded and unresearched assumption that time spent is time wasted.

Yeah. If that single daily meeting replaces hours of lovely chain emails, they're completely worth it.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Misogynist posted:

Clarification on one-to-one meetings...

Precisely this.

I've never had someone who works for me complain about the fact that they get up to 30 minutes of my undivided attention to assist them in whatever they needed assistance with. They never reschedule, and everyone on the team respects everyone else's 1-1 time.

Blorange posted:

Yeah. If that single daily meeting replaces hours of lovely chain emails, they're completely worth it.

Properly managed face-to-face meetings also greatly reduce all of the passive-aggressive weirdness that tends to arise whenever schedules, budgets, and deliverables are brought up in an email. On new projects, I will review communications protocols:

- Team communications protocol.
- Management escalation protocol.
- Executive escalation protocol.
- Risk notification protocol.
- Email etiquette

Is all of this incredibly prescriptive? Yes. My current engagement is at a Fortune 100 company. We have 13 Project Managers and 4 Program Managers managing over $100 MM in project budget: 54 active projects right now, and our client's busiest time of year (NFL season) just started. I've worked with some complex systems and complex business processes in the past, but not this complex.

Spending 5-10 minutes during the project kick-off meeting reviewing communications protocols and getting the team to formally acknowledge receipt and understanding of said protocols saves a lot of time and money later on in the project when a Business Analyst is being non-responsive and the email gets escalated to their manager in 24 hours because we don't have the time and the money to spend on figuring out why someone isn't doing their job. PTO, Training, or they don't like working with someone else on the team? Don't care. Need to move things forward.

From some of the earlier comments, apparently a few people are unclear on the concept of the 15 minute stand up. 15 minutes means not to exceed 15 minutes. If the meeting takes 5 minutes, then it's a 5 minute meeting.

A nice side effect of this, is that I almost never have trouble getting people to attend my meetings, and if someone is double-booked, they'll generally take mine first.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 28, 2014

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Ultimate Mango posted:

I kind of wish a manager in retail or fast food would chime in here since it's a different perspective.

I have managed at a couple of restaurants, a retail toy store, and currently manage a production kitchen.

It's kind of funny reading this thread because management strategies can vary wildly between industries. Most of ya'll seem to be managing with a scalpel, whereas most food service management is done with a rocket launcher.

Since labor cost is such a major issue a manager is expected not only to keep the crew in line, but also be as productive as a normal member of the team. This means that instead of ever having a sit down meeting with anyone you have to carry on a conversation with the entire back of house and half of the front of house at once. Most of the time you are running around putting your fingers in holes in the dykes, and chewing people out for not doing prep, moving too slow, keeping their station lovely, or some other minor fuckup. I would have a sit down conversation with someone only as a last resort before I fire them. Also, unlike many other industries, drinking with your crew is pretty much mandatory.

Scheduling, ordering, and dealing with food and labor costs is also usually much more of a priority that dealing with employees.

One of the frustrating things about managing min wage workers is that there's a lot of idiots, and if you fire them then you are going to have interview 10 more idiots. Most fast food places have pretty strict idiot-resistant procedures in place, but for the mom and pop places that I worked at there was no such thing. It's hard being the only person in an organization that doesn't consider it a "throwaway job". I've had so send people home for coming in high, drunk, with no shoes, with a girl/boy friend who thinks it's cool to hang out all day until their SO's shift is over.

I don't miss that industry a bit.

There's an awesome thread in GWS if anyone is interested in the restaurant industry. Quite a few managers post there.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Sarcasmatron posted:

I will review communications protocols:

Food service industry communication protocols:

- Team communications protocol. Do not scream curse words at your team members in front of customers.
- Management escalation protocol. Do not physically threaten managment.
- Executive escalation protocol. If you try to talk to the owner he will likely pretend you don't exist and later chew me out over it.
- Risk notification protocol. For the love of god please Do not try to hide the fact that you are sick. I will not be mad unless your patient zero rear end gets the entire restaurant norovirus.
- Email etiquette You own a computer? Good for you! How come you are working here and not webcamming yourself farting on cakes for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Leroy Diplowski posted:

It's kind of funny reading this thread because management strategies can vary wildly between industries. Most of ya'll seem to be managing with a scalpel, whereas most food service management is done with a rocket launcher.

Managing construction projects was management by sledge hammer - especially out-of-town projects.

Do not miss that a bit, other than 2x my current base pay in completion/performance bonuses.

• Locked thread