Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
i love jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

a digital orc posted:

congrats, you morons turned an inri thread into an actual religious debate

that requires a powerful kind of stupid.

that's what's happened the last 5 times he's posted this exact same thread lmao

i had to keep the train rolling

frenchpastry
Nov 29, 2013

Just me here on the jokes forum, I don't post about jokes though. I post about my life.

Ignoarints posted:

really dont need to believe in bullshit to not be miserable dude or maybe you do ionno sounds like a genetic defect

for the moment it is possible in the same solely practical manner to give a general answer touching what in actual human history keeps men sane. Mysticism keeps men sane. As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery you create morbidity. The ordinary man has always been sane because the ordinary man has always been a mystic. He has permitted the twilight. He has always had one foot in earth and the other in fairyland. He has always left himself free to doubt his gods; but (unlike the agnostic of to-day) free also to believe in them. He has always cared more for truth than for consistency. If he saw two truths that seemed to contradict each other, he would take the two truths and the contradiction along with them. His spiritual sight is stereoscopic, like his physical sight: he sees two different pictures at once and yet sees all the better for that. Thus he has always believed that there was such a thing as fate, but such a thing as free will also. Thus he believed that children were indeed the kingdom of heaven, but nevertheless ought to be obedient to the kingdom of earth. He admired youth because it was young and age because it was not. It is exactly this balance of apparent contradictions that has been the whole buoyancy of the healthy man.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Roki B posted:

HAIL SATAN HAIL CAT DRUGS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pls do not use my avatar of love as a weapon of hate, thnks

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
My catholic sister is marrying a wiccan on November 1st. I don't give a poo poo what he or anybody make believes, he is a cool guy and they are happy. They haven't told my dad yet though.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Hayburner posted:

i love jesus

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Jesus is a really cool guy and everyone likes him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Everything I know about God I learned from LSD

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
free Roki B

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
God empowers me.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

no way that dude misappropriated my beautiful av

ima sue

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Lets have a "make fun of religious people" party!

How many Religious people does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None, because religion is all they need to brighten their lives!

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

frenchpastry posted:

for the moment it is possible in the same solely practical manner to give a general answer touching what in actual human history keeps men sane. Mysticism keeps men sane. As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery you create morbidity. The ordinary man has always been sane because the ordinary man has always been a mystic. He has permitted the twilight. He has always had one foot in earth and the other in fairyland. He has always left himself free to doubt his gods; but (unlike the agnostic of to-day) free also to believe in them. He has always cared more for truth than for consistency. If he saw two truths that seemed to contradict each other, he would take the two truths and the contradiction along with them. His spiritual sight is stereoscopic, like his physical sight: he sees two different pictures at once and yet sees all the better for that. Thus he has always believed that there was such a thing as fate, but such a thing as free will also. Thus he believed that children were indeed the kingdom of heaven, but nevertheless ought to be obedient to the kingdom of earth. He admired youth because it was young and age because it was not. It is exactly this balance of apparent contradictions that has been the whole buoyancy of the healthy man.

Chesterton, right? He's a total bro, even if his novels were a bit predictable and ranty.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

God provides perspective for me, and my place in life.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Why do some religious people not like gay people?
Because homosexuality isnt part of their moral framework and they dont want to change!

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

GK Chesterson owns. Orthodoxy owns.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm aware of Clement of Alexandria, but you're trying to codify Christianity into a uniform mass that simply doesn't exist. While early Christianity had little to do with damnation and the like, the religion has become heavily defined by it in the general belief. Even if you adhere to an older/outdated/outlier Christian belief (and you can't deny that the Eastern Orthodoxy developed very different from what become the Catholic Church and the Holy Roman Empire), the concept of damnation versus salvation is pretty fundamental to Christianity.

That is why you are "saved" when you become Christian.

EDIT: Also the orthodoxy of early Christianity wasn't codified until 3 centuries or so after Jesus's alleged death, and ostracized dozens of smaller tribal christian traditions and eradicated even more Gospels.

"You can't speak of Christianity as if it were some sort of monolithic entity!

Now let me explain how all of Christianity has moved on from this thing as a monolithic entity."

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
You speak of pee pee as thouh it was doo dee ga ga fucky rear end

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

doo dee ga ga fucky rear end

how'd you find out my real name?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I.N.R.I posted:

You speak of pee pee as thouh it was doo dee ga ga fucky rear end

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

The Droid posted:

is this what that smash mouth song was about all along?

It's a Neil Diamond song poseur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
im religulous aslo

• Locked thread