Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
gratz on the star??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"i almost don't want a raise since it might put me in a high tax bracket"
- something my idiot brother said

drat

i think my dad tried to make this argument once :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

haha you're a moderator now, lol at you

he has to build a terrible addition on his house now

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

needs more parallax and big contextless words

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"i almost don't want a raise since it might put me in a high tax bracket"
- something my idiot brother said

a prev coworker who said this also said that he couldnt get a job at the post office because he was a white guy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
how much do the people who say this make anyway

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fits my needs posted:

not much

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

$45K, give or take.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

$45K, give or take.

that is actually spot on, in my experience

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fits my needs posted:

in '05 my dude was makin 24, same as me

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
jfc i'm gonna start making $41.9k at my first real job. what kind of idiot fuckers don't want to make more money? have the rich seriously convinced some poors that they are rich too even though they're literally living in poverty?

Jonny 290 posted:

in '05 my dude was makin 24, same as me

that's like 30k now. was he a 30k millionaire?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fits my needs posted:

have the rich seriously convinced some poors that they are rich too even though they're literally living in poverty

yes and it's pretty hosed up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fits my needs posted:

jfc i'm gonna start making $41.9k at my first real job. what kind of idiot fuckers don't want to make more money? have the rich seriously convinced some poors that they are rich too even though they're literally living in poverty?

these people are genuinely financially illiterate and believe that when you go into a higher tax bracket, that new rate applies to your entire income, not just the percentage above the line.

if you're filing as the head of a household the rate for 26-48k roughly is 15% and 48-73k is 25%. so to these people's understanding, if you are making 47,999 a year you take home 85% of 47,999, but if you make 48,001 you take home 75% of 48,001. obviously that is idiotic, but instead of questioning whether they have the math right, they just go run with it. this ignorance is what leads them to be SUPER MAD about taxation in general ("the tax code MAKES NO SENSE!"), and mad specfically about taxation on the rich ("until they bring the taxes down I LITERALLY CAN'T MAKE MORE MONEY") and why they want a flat tax ("if EVERYONE PAYS 8% it's FAIR TO EVERYONE!!!")

so it's basically just stupidity. not that the wealthy don't take advantage of this to get people on their side about tax law, of course.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basic tax concepts are another thing that needs to be taught in my imaginary high school class about the gambler's fallacy and confirmation bias and opportunity costs and all that poo poo. i don't think any high schoolers get that at all these days. when i was in high school you were either in the college math (trig, basic algebra, etc), the university math (calculus, linear algebra, statistics, etc) or the workplace math (make a poster about how to write a check). absolutely nothing about interest rates, taxation, any of that stuff that's useful to know to not ruin your life getting scammed by rich bankers

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 10, 2014

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Americans are bad at math you say

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

uncurable mlady posted:

america rules. no matter what bad opinion you have, you can find someone else to agree with you on it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

also posts

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

basic tax concepts are another thing that needs to be taught in my imaginary high school class about the gambler's fallacy and confirmation bias and opportunity costs and all that poo poo. i don't think any high schoolers get that at all these days. when i was in high school you were either in the college math (trig, basic algebra, etc), the university math (calculus, linear algebra, statistics, etc) or the workplace math (make a poster about how to write a check). absolutely nothing about interest rates, taxation, any of that stuff that's useful to know to not ruin your life getting scammed by rich bankers

You can't make as much money from financially-literate people, so of course it isn't taught in high school.

Apr 7, 2003

My high school in Piss Dumpster, PA learned you either Industrial Arts, Home Economics, or a typing class if you weren't on a college track. Most people weren't on a college track.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

My high school in Piss Dumpster, PA learned you either Industrial Arts, Home Economics, or a typing class if you weren't on a college track. Most people weren't on a college track.

these classes should be required all four years of high school

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
how did you escape poverty tori? and how did you prevent yourself from turning into libertarian/self-made/boot strapping conservative? i dunno sometimes it feels like the people who are able to escape poverty through a mix of determination and luck turn into bigger assholes then the rich.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what' mostly sad about that is that those are now jokes of classes, not that they exist. every student should be required to take home ec to learn how to do laundry, cook food, make a budget, pay bills, and do all the other stuff that human adults need to do but i guess are just expected to figure out on their own sometime between age 12 and 30 or never. and industrial arts should show people that skill with your hands is something to be proud of, give people suggetsions about opportunities other than/better than yet another ba in sociology or business, or at least teach everyone how to operate a screwdriver and poo poo.

and if you can't touch type in tyool 2014 you might as well be unable to write so lol

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

fits my needs posted:

how did you escape poverty tori? and how did you prevent yourself from turning into libertarian/self-made/boot strapping conservative? i dunno sometimes it feels like the people who are able to escape poverty through a mix of determination and luck turn into bigger assholes then the rich.

the kind of determination it takes to bootstrap yourself out of your lifestyle is usually a result of some traumatic experience or an obsession that is borderline psychopathy

but that is a dumb opinion of me because there's plenty of hard workers who modestly lifted themselves out without turning into crazy rich assholes

Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

I dropped out of high school when I turned 16 in 1996, got a job doing telecom construction poo poo from literally the guy across the street from where I grew up and was making $60K in 1998-1999 and thought I was hot poo poo, moved to Pittsburgh and made $725 a week doing the same thing but it was local and I didn't have to travel so I thought I was really hot poo poo despite making laughable money.

Then I lost that job and went jobless for a year (2003) looking for the "perfect" job and was forced to take a call center job paying minimum wage that I kept until 2008.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

You can't make as much money from financially-literate people, so of course it isn't taught in high school.

a nice guy who admitted to enjoying weed (but don't do it kids) taught my high school personal finance class and he schooled us on everything from the s&p to how inflation is calculated (they use a basket) and lectured about all of the many stock market crashes

he was a cool person and then he got cancer and died a couple years later

Apr 7, 2003

I grew up incredibly poor because my father was a selfish rear end in a top hat who made $300 a week for most of my childhood and had eight kids anyway;, and when he had any money he pissed it away on toys for himself. I didn't have a bed to sleep on when I was 12, but you can bet your rear end I had an Amiga 500 and a IBM PC.

When he turned 38, he got a "real job" with the state prison system making $55k a year but I had mostly grown up at that point. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor four years later and died soon after.

Apr 7, 2003

Mido posted:

the kind of determination it takes to bootstrap yourself out of your lifestyle is usually a result of some traumatic experience or an obsession that is borderline psychopathy

This is actually way true because leaving my old socioeconomic condition involved abandoning every friend I'd made at that point, and my girlfriend and her kids.

If I'd have felt bad about doing that I'd still be poor.

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

and my girlfriend and her kids.

i had to do that... im terrified of running in to them again though

Apr 7, 2003

idiotbitch posted:

i had to do that... im terrified of running in to them again though

If I'd have stayed with her things would have gotten a lot worse and I'd still be poor as poo poo.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

"It's not really about asking for a raise, but knowing and having faith that the system will give you the right raise," Nadella told a confounded (and predominantly female) audience at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing on Thursday.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/microsoft-ceo-tells-women-not-to-ask-for-a-raise-at-wom-1644473757/+laceydonohue

lol yeah just work really hard and don't say anything and then someone high up will be "wow let's give you a bigger check" good luck w/ that women it hasn't worked since world war 2 and i don't think it's gonna work now

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

If I'd have stayed with her things would have gotten a lot worse and I'd still be poor as poo poo.

that is sad

i don't really understand your choice there and so can't criticize but uh

yeah

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

i felt like i was the scumbag for leaving her, but then i realized it was the actual father who was the scumbag. and that i was dumb all along

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ok, gents i think that's about enough.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

someone make the new one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

try to make it be funny this time too, for fucks sake

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

try to make it be funny this time too, for fucks sake

i meant try to make it funny too, this time

i definitely did NOT mean to imply this one was funny, or that the next one should be like it

• Locked thread