Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Fun game classic game, scooped it up with Steam wallet cash without a second thought. Unfortunately my last file ended by not saving for like 3 years before going ashore and my ship bugged out and was stuck in the woods or something.

re: the whole extremely long voyage and morale thing, I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure in an unmodded game you can get a permanent crew of some description just by being loving loaded. Not sure what it is to keep them happy, but at least 1000 per crewman and they will never desert.

Aging is a bitch too, what's the best career-extending profession, surgeon to make life longer, navigator to make trips shorter, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Most of the GameFAQs documents also say that crews can be kept permanently happy with enough money, and I've done it myself in isolated circumstances while playing the game. It's very difficult, but if you're basically willing to shoot the poo poo out of anything that will give you a net rep increase (at least one more power happy than unhappy), it is possible. Essentially what I did to do it is to do a big clockwise circle around the Main. Start near St. Kitts or some place in the minor Carribean islands, sail south to South America, ride the winds all the way west, and turn north as you start to hit the Yucatan Peninsula. Then use what's now modern day Cuba and Haiti as bigass wind breaks from the trade winds and curl around their southern sides. Northern side if you're feeling bold, there's more natives and pirates up there to poo poo on, but the winds can be pretty rough if you're trying to go east.

As far as what will get you the most time playing, that's dependent on your play style. Some people haunt the same area of the Carribean for long periods at a time, basically focusing on pleasing one power, mastering them out, then moving on. For those folks, skill at Medicine will be best since you'll be using up a lot of time in port. Others like me prefer to just be out on the sea as long as humanly possible, stopping at a port only when you're sure you can accomplish like 3-4 needed things there. I never stop at port unless I know I'm getting a rank upgrade, getting a quest, and buying an item - minimum. Preferably I'd also like to recruit guys and upgrade my boat while I'm in town too. Navigation is better there, since you're doing a lot of sailing.

Better way to phrase it is that if you're looking at being on the sea as a journey, take Medicine. If you look at being on the sea as being in your back yard, in your house, take Navigation.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 1, 2014

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
How did people sail east in the Caribbean in real life?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tomanton posted:

Fun game classic game, scooped it up with Steam wallet cash without a second thought. Unfortunately my last file ended by not saving for like 3 years before going ashore and my ship bugged out and was stuck in the woods or something.

re: the whole extremely long voyage and morale thing, I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure in an unmodded game you can get a permanent crew of some description just by being loving loaded. Not sure what it is to keep them happy, but at least 1000 per crewman and they will never desert.

Aging is a bitch too, what's the best career-extending profession, surgeon to make life longer, navigator to make trips shorter, what?

I always choose Fencing. Don't wounds sustained in fights decrease your lifespan? An extra 3 or 4 years isn't that big of a deal compared to delaying the effects of aging on your fencing speed.
Fencing is pretty much a must at higher difficulties, because the swordfighting minigame gets ridiculous

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sam. posted:

How did people sail east in the Caribbean in real life?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_into_the_wind

I don't know what rigging sit-ups they had to use but I'm sure they figured something out. I don't recall ever reading about oars being used.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

canyoneer posted:

I always choose Fencing. Don't wounds sustained in fights decrease your lifespan? An extra 3 or 4 years isn't that big of a deal compared to delaying the effects of aging on your fencing speed.
Fencing is pretty much a must at higher difficulties, because the swordfighting minigame gets ridiculous

i always just picked navigation because i get sick and tired of spending years to move eastward

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
wish i could just drag my boat over panama and keep going west because gently caress east

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I'm having issue trying to get this game going. The error I'm getting is telling me that it's failing to initialize DirectX. Obviously I have DirectX, but for some reason I'm still getting the error.

I've tried running in windowed and safe mode. I've tried compatibility modes. I've tried creating my own config file for it (as one has not been created). No dice.

Can someone copy the contents of their config file and post it? I've got a feeling the stuff I've got in the one I mocked up doesn't contain everything I need.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was on the right track, found the config file I needed online, and fixed an 8 year-old issue all by my onesies. Details are posted in the discussion forum for the game on Steam, if anyone else is having the issue.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
http://www.greenmangaming.com/

Pirates! is on sale for $2.49 at Green Man Gaming. If anyone is on the fence about this game, you're almost assured to get $2.49 worth of entertainment out of it.

• Locked thread