Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RAGE HOLE posted:

Apparently Star Wars was entirely saved by its editing, done in large part by George Lucas's wife. She divorced him in 1983 and her last movie was Return of the Jedi. Which might explain a lot about how the rest of George Lucas's career went when it came to his own projects.

it's hard to say it was "entirely saved" by its editing, because a movie doesn't really exist before it's edited into something. it's not like george lucas stitched every bit of raw footage together and tried to pass it off as a rough cut. what really happened is he started off with a lovely editor who didn't know what he was doing, who he then fired and replaced with his wife and two other editors. marcia lucas did a lot, perhaps most importantly reordering the death star battle to make it more suspenseful. but george lucas himself was, by all accounts, also heavily involved in the editing, which a lot of people on the internet (maybe intentionally) overlook these days. basically marcia lucas deserves a LOT of credit, and modern official accounts tend not to give her her full due because of the divorce and estrangement, but that doesn't mean she did literally everything and paul hirsch, richard chew, and george lucas did nothing. not that you were trying to say that, but a lot of nerds with an axe to grind like to imply that.

so yeah, it WAS saved by editing, but so is every movie. it's just that star wars also happened to be butchered by editing before it was saved by editing, thanks to an incompetent original editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Maybe the show is more about character building, relationships, and life?

Just because hes a comedian doesnt mean everything has to be knee slapping hilarious.

I thought the story arc with the Hungarian chick was really sweet and it led into something nicer. :3:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Louis CK must've been watching cartoons with his kids and thought, "Why don't shows for adults have little lessons in them?"

im cool with the morals, he had that in the funny stuff too, but the drama kind of overwhelmed the comedy this season.

that said there is still some amazing stuff. the scene with his daughter and the violin was amazing. the younger daughter is great

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

im cool with the morals, he had that in the funny stuff too, but the drama kind of overwhelmed the comedy this season.

that said there is still some amazing stuff. the scene with his daughter and the violin was amazing. the younger daughter is great

I prefer the Violin scene when shes playing very nicely and then Louie comes in and yells at her.

"ITS NOT TIME FOR THAT NOW! DO YOUR HOMEWORK!"

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Benedick Cuckold posted:

it's hard to say it was "entirely saved" by its editing, because a movie doesn't really exist before it's edited into something. it's not like george lucas stitched every bit of raw footage together and tried to pass it off as a rough cut. what really happened is he started off with a lovely editor who didn't know what he was doing, who he then fired and replaced with his wife and two other editors. marcia lucas did a lot, perhaps most importantly reordering the death star battle to make it more suspenseful. but george lucas himself was, by all accounts, also heavily involved in the editing, which a lot of people on the internet (maybe intentionally) overlook these days. basically marcia lucas deserves a LOT of credit, and modern official accounts tend not to give her her full due because of the divorce and estrangement, but that doesn't mean she did literally everything and paul hirsch, richard chew, and george lucas did nothing. not that you were trying to say that, but a lot of nerds with an axe to grind like to imply that.

so yeah, it WAS saved by editing, but so is every movie. it's just that star wars also happened to be butchered by editing before it was saved by editing, thanks to an incompetent original editor.

That is fair enough, and I don't mean to take away from the other editors. My main point was just that it is an important and underappreciated job that has a big impact on how well a story works.

Blah blah here is a dog and a wallaby kissing.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
"hello i enjoy television comgedy 'louis"
-people you don't enjoy talking to at parties

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

"hello i enjoy television comgedy 'louis"
-people you don't enjoy talking to at parties

which, y'know, guilty

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher
That episode where he catches his daughter smoking weed went on forever. I was drunk and it was like 3 AM and I was like holy poo poo this is longer than 30 minutes wtf. Louie CK is really loving funny though and if you will yourself into not liking him because of internet people or whatever I don't know what can be done for you.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It was good in the last season when he tried to rape his friend and that made her fall in love with him and they lived happily ever after.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
Louie totally jumped the shark man who needs Louie when we have comedy shows like the one with the real funny nerd guy who yells Bazooper or the one where Charlie Sheen plays a walking corpse man gently caress that fat ginger Louie

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Tortuga posted:

It was good in the last season when he tried to rape his friend and that made her fall in love with him and they lived happily ever after.

You're loving stupid, dog.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Palpatine MD posted:

Louie totally jumped the shark man who needs Louie when we have comedy shows like the one with the real funny nerd guy who yells Bazooper or the one where Charlie Sheen plays a walking corpse man gently caress that fat ginger Louie

Bazinga.

Also, I wish it was the mid oughts again and I could watch Reno 911 w/out knowing the jokes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Where did he ever say he was trying to make a funny show? I'm not trying to goon hard here but I've watched a lot of interviews and listened to every podcast LCK has ever been on and he just always talks about how he wants his show to be different from what he thinks TV has become and he really wants it to evoke how he thinks life really feels (sometimes so funny its ridiculous, sometimes so sad it is funny, sometimes so funny that it is sad, sometimes its just lovely and boring).

If you tune in to Louis for a guaranteed 30 mins of laughs (more like 20 minutes of set-up, 2 minutes of stand-up and some fantastic punchlines) then you are maybe missing the point?

Some people are really just into Sad Bastard Media. people are straight up listening to Modest Mouse and Radiohead, watching movies like "Love, Liza" and "Push Me" (lovely humans with lovely lives get poo poo on, learn nothing, credits roll). The scene in S2 or S3 where Louie and the TV/Film exec is talking him up and he pitches the idea of a guy who sucks and is sad and poo poo just keeps happening to him and the exec just bails halfway through the pitch to a different table in the same restaurant is almost certainly a real story from his career.

I can't fault you for watching a show that has historically been very funny and then being mad when it isn't funny, but you really cannot be mad at something for it not being what you wanted.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I liked it when it was a comedy show, whatever he's been doing this season sucks poo poo

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

yeah art that examines the human condition is great but when I want that I'll look to dostoyevsky or something not louis loving ck

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i didnt finish the season yet i dont think but i really liked the drug dealer guy

also i think that episode is sposed to take place in my town which is p baller

also who did you piss off to get that title

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

psyopmonkey posted:

The show Louie is really good.

Season 3 is my favorite.

Louie talk ITT.

get the gently caress out already

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
what the hell

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Where did he ever say he was trying to make a funny show? I'm not trying to goon hard here but I've watched a lot of interviews and listened to every podcast LCK has ever been on and he just always talks about how he wants his show to be different from what he thinks TV has become and he really wants it to evoke how he thinks life really feels (sometimes so funny its ridiculous, sometimes so sad it is funny, sometimes so funny that it is sad, sometimes its just lovely and boring).

If you tune in to Louis for a guaranteed 30 mins of laughs (more like 20 minutes of set-up, 2 minutes of stand-up and some fantastic punchlines) then you are maybe missing the point?

Some people are really just into Sad Bastard Media. people are straight up listening to Modest Mouse and Radiohead, watching movies like "Love, Liza" and "Push Me" (lovely humans with lovely lives get poo poo on, learn nothing, credits roll). The scene in S2 or S3 where Louie and the TV/Film exec is talking him up and he pitches the idea of a guy who sucks and is sad and poo poo just keeps happening to him and the exec just bails halfway through the pitch to a different table in the same restaurant is almost certainly a real story from his career.

I can't fault you for watching a show that has historically been very funny and then being mad when it isn't funny, but you really cannot be mad at something for it not being what you wanted.

except every season of the show before the latest one WAS pretty much straight intelligent comedy with occasional poignant moments. that worked and was good. he reversed the formula and it was not as good.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
its basically a different show now but whether its good or not is subjective, i think its still good however.

tbh i never was a huge fan of it to begin with though. one thing that i will say is that its kind of depressing to watch a show about such a miserable goony failure

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

louis ck is not a comedian. hes philosopher. walking around like a modern day socrates not giving a shot how he looks, looking at the way things hav turned out and going like "wow, hosed up"

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

this is the only bit of this show I have ever seen.

is it supposed to be a comedy because I dont see any humor just tragedy

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

psyopmonkey posted:

Maybe the show is more about character building, relationships, and life?

Just because hes a comedian doesnt mean everything has to be knee slapping hilarious.

I thought the story arc with the Hungarian chick was really sweet and it led into something nicer. :3:

He's got a fat girl moaning about being fat lol, im sorry its not good.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raip posted:

this is the only bit of this show I have ever seen.

is it supposed to be a comedy because I dont see any humor just tragedy

watch the third season its p good. that scene is not indicative of it at all

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

louis ck: iiiiiiiiiiiii.... am really fat. [laughter] and its not OK to be this fat [laughter]. Its gotten to the point where like ..... i dont even care anymore. [laughter] im just going with it [laughter] and it's not OK to come up to me and tell me, that im fat [laughter]. thats actually rude, what youre doing. [laugheter]. you're a human being telling a nother human being, that hes eatne too much. thats basically it. [laughter] the suns gonna explode one day.... [laughter].... and you're telling me that im fat. [laughter] great.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ponce de Le0n posted:

He's got a fat girl moaning about being fat lol, im sorry its not good.

actually when you put it that way it sounds a lot funnier than it actually was in the show

it was still a thought provoking scene though bc that tublord nailed it when she was complaining about how a guy would gently caress her but not hold her hand

its sad but true but if youre a fat female youre probably going to be valued less as a person

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
I used to watch Louie and I liked it but then some ugly, fat internet women (the same internet women who complained about the fat episode) said I shouldn't watch it anymore because Louie is a rapist and it's triggering so I don't watch it any more but that's because the season finished.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

life is.... beautiful and dark and weird. you know. relationships. human connection. people getting born, dying. having kids. loneliness.

but then theres those pockets of joy where you meet some person who doesnt speak english and you celebrate life together and acknowledge a shared humanity thats beyond language.

its a bizarre universe.

*jazz plays*

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

Fetus Tree posted:

actually when you put it that way it sounds a lot funnier than it actually was in the show

it was still a thought provoking scene though bc that tublord nailed it when she was complaining about how a guy would gently caress her but not hold her hand

its sad but true but if youre a fat female youre probably going to be valued less as a person

Does this mean that when you're defending your favourite pedophiles, you're more likely to defend the ones that gently caress skinny kids?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kirk Johnson posted:

Does this mean that when you're defending your favourite pedophiles, you're more likely to defend the ones that gently caress skinny kids?

if SA keeps it up, at this rate, i wont have any pedophiles left to defend :(

Kirk Johnson posted:

I used to watch Louie and I liked it but then some ugly, fat internet women (the same internet women who complained about the fat episode) said I shouldn't watch it anymore because Louie is a rapist and it's triggering so I don't watch it any more but that's because the season finished.

also if it makes you feel better, some goon linked a tumblr or something where another fat girl on the internet was saying that its also rape to exclude the possibility of a woman being raped in a tv show so theres always that

rape by omission or some poo poo

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Fetus Tree posted:

If only there were a ton of different ways to change this with dedicated routines and lifestyle choices to prevent being fat.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Fetus Tree posted:

i didnt finish the season yet i dont think but i really liked the drug dealer guy

also i think that episode is sposed to take place in my town which is p baller

also who did you piss off to get that title

he's a really insufferable tranny who craves endless attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He's a big rapey mexican, and that is funny in itself

• Locked thread