Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Lotus Brony posted:

Here in Colorado we used to have Blue Laws, no alcohol sales on Sundays up to about ten (?) years ago or so. Then politicians discovered that they could make a lot of sweet, sweet extra money from taxes on days people have off and don't have to work. The suck part is not being able to buy anything stronger than beer at any store due to liquor store lobbying. The up part is that liquor stores are often nicely stocked with just about anything you want, and due to competition, some are 24 hour operations now.

And it's Colorado. Why drink when you can go buy pot 24/7? Don't see that in CA.

weed is better in CA

both California and Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Lotus Brony posted:

Here in Colorado we used to have Blue Laws, no alcohol sales on Sundays up to about ten (?) years ago or so. Then politicians discovered that they could make a lot of sweet, sweet extra money from taxes on days people have off and don't have to work. The suck part is not being able to buy anything stronger than beer at any store due to liquor store lobbying. The up part is that liquor stores are often nicely stocked with just about anything you want, and due to competition, some are 24 hour operations now.

And it's Colorado. Why drink when you can go buy pot 24/7? Don't see that in CA.
Washington used to be liquor in state liquor stores only and everyone whined and got it changed to private stores and basically all the happened was everything got 20% more expensive but was easier to find. I thought it was a pretty lovely trade off personally.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Cold and Ugly posted:

Is it really? I guess i've noticed that it's more expensive in Washington and Texas, I just thought that was because of the state liquor store monopoly. So like, I pay about $17 for a fifth of Stoli, and about $15 for a 12 pack of Stella. What do those cost where you live?

20+ for the stoli and easily 17 for the Stella. Neither includes sales tax. Thanks Virginia!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Oh, yeah, hang on, will somebody explain to me why the gently caress everywhere I went in the US, the prices on the tag were WITHOUT sales tax included? I mean what the gently caress, I ask the price of something and they say "oh it's 200" then I say "okay I buy it" and after that it's "ok it's 220". Back home we add the sales tax into the price tag, it's more logical that way.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pochoclo posted:

Oh, yeah, hang on, will somebody explain to me why the gently caress everywhere I went in the US, the prices on the tag were WITHOUT sales tax included? I mean what the gently caress, I ask the price of something and they say "oh it's 200" then I say "okay I buy it" and after that it's "ok it's 220". Back home we add the sales tax into the price tag, it's more logical that way.

It's because different places have different tax rates

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

PCOS Bill posted:

It's because different places have different tax rates

So? That changes nothing. You include the different tax into the price tag. I'm talking supermarkets and other brick-and-mortar stores, not ebay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pochoclo posted:

So? That changes nothing. You include the different tax into the price tag. I'm talking supermarkets and other brick-and-mortar stores, not ebay.

It is so you can be mad about sales tax every time you shop. If it was included in the price you'd never see it and never think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pochoclo posted:

The stores would have to do too much math in order to still have prices that make people buy an item... Cause they sure aren't going to change the price of an item from $9.99 to $10.36 because people wouldn't buy it as much.

• Locked thread