Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
My wife has decided that she wanted to do a 10-day vegan cleanse/fast. As a wonderful husband, I stupidly agreed immediately to join her. We are both Texas meat lovers and have no experience with this thing. She's got a recipe book where they are trying to recreate all my favorite foods but with veggies. :|

To make matters worse, I hate beans. I know, I know, but it's true. I'm not picky about much eke, but that's a sticking point.

So, I'm three days in and can't see how I'm going to make it, I'm coming to GWS for help. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/02/tips-for-vegans-eating-veganism.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/vegan-recipes-mains-soups-salads-breakfasts-sandwiches-appetizers.html

http://www.lbveg.com/freebook.php

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
so by vegan cleanse/fast pasta with loads of cheese is out?

If I was in your situation I would subsist off of huge salads, those can be good with the right combinations.

also portabellas I've done as meat substitute before, that can be good.

Potatos are filling.

Edit:
Also, tip for cooking veggie saute, season with sugar, salt, pepper, & oil then cook.
Works really good with carrots, broccoli (what the hell is broccoli anyways?), cauliflower, celery, etc ect ect.
Use cast iron if you can.

Allantois fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 1, 2014

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Dr. Pangloss posted:

She's got a recipe book where they are trying to recreate all my favorite foods but with veggies. :|

Don't try to do that, it never tastes anything like the original dish, and it is usually terrible. It's always better to just actually eat a roasted vegetable, or a dish that is designed to be made of vegetables, rather than doing weird poo poo to vegetables in order to try to make them taste like a meat somehow.

Also, just make a bunch of different salads involving avocados.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This might be a good time to have another look at beans. Different beans have different flavours and textures. Eat a chick pea.

That said, it's a good time for produce, grab every vegetable that looks good, chop them up, eat them.

Cold pasta salad is a nice thing for the summer, and with America Day coming up. Cook a pasta (a little less than sometimes) - chop up a bunch of vegetables, and put them into a colander you can put into a pot. Put water in the pot. Heat it. Dip the colander into the pot. Put the vegetables into the pasta in bowl. Dress it with chopped herbs and olive oil and vinegar/lemon juice. Let it sit for a bit to remember Jesus. Eat it.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks so much! Agree on not making things that are supposed to be other dishes. It just makes me hate it for not being that other dish. Brown rice is not a pizza crust and cauliflower florets isn't cheese...

Forgot to mention that bread is out, too. :(

I've been eating lots of roasted and steamed veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peas, green beans.

Definitely need to make some hummus, though I guess I'm looking at carrots to eat it with instead of pita chips.

After finishing day three I think I'm confident I'll "make it", but I need to be more thoughtful about t. Great ideas here, totally forgot about mushrooms, which I love and are a "meaty" vegetable. And avacados. I think I could live off those.

Well, I know what I'm getting at the store tomorrow!

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
What is she hoping to cleanse?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Bob_McBob posted:

~~*^~ToXinS!~~^$~ of course

Duuuuuuhhhhhhhh

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Bob_McBob posted:

Hahaha.

She has felt convicted that she's too obsessed with food and too reliant on easy food that's not good for us. She also thinks I'm food-obsessed, although I think I'm just particular about how food is made and that it's not much harder to make good food than bad food, so why not make good food?

So, I think a large part of this is to force herself to eat stuff that she knows she doesn't like or wouldn't eat regularly, to prove to herself that she can and that some of it might actually be good. I'm coming to realize its more psychological than physical, although she's happy with any physical benefits that it might bring.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
Try some soup recipes

also Guacamole is really good with carrots.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

mushrooms, which I love and are a "meaty" vegetable.
Actually, they're not, they're a fungus, neither plant nor animal. :eng101:

I almost always eat meat, but pumpkin soup and cauliflower soup are both great, though I would generally eat them with bread.

Pasta with a bunch of stuff thrown through it rather than a proper sauce is good too. Pasta sauces without meat always strike me as missing the vital ingredient, but if I take some pasta and mix it with some combination of olives, capers, peas, corn, capsicum, garlic, green beans and sun-dried tomatoes then that's quite acceptable.

Also good is potatoes cooked up with kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, garlic, herbs, pepper and tobasco sauce.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Pangloss posted:

My wife has decided that she wanted to do a 10-day vegan cleanse/fast.
This can only get worse. Been there, done that.

Start with salads. Mixed greens, tomato, radish, peppers, craisins, nuts, seeds, salad boosters, make your own dressing out of vinegar and olive oil

Try a curry.

Grill/roast all the vegetables and fruits you can. they're loving delicious. Peppers, onions, portabellas (again not vegetables), carrots, squash, turnips, brussels sprouts, asparagus.

Sweet potato fries!

Snack on olives and artichokes stuffed grape leaves. The greeks ate like kings.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I actually went vegetarian a month or so ago and have some decent recipes to share. This is one I've made twice so far and it came out great both times:

Vegan Gumbo

1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Oil - Yes, this roux is heavy as hell.
2 lbs fresh okra
16 oz corn
16 oz purple Hull Peas
16 oz mirepoix
~2 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbsp dry parsley (or several sprigs fresh)
1 1/2 tbsp Cajun seasoning (I use Slap Yo Mama, but you can use something a bit more mild)
4 quarts of vegetable broth (You can use a bit less and add water to get the consistency right)
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp File powder

For the vegetables, I strongly recommend using fresh if possible, though it's critical to use fresh okra. Frozen okra has a terrible stringy texture and just falls apart after a bit of boiling. You can also add additional veggies of your choice, but stick with stuff that has a fairly neutral flavor like kale or turnips.

Step 1: Make the roux. You'll find a ton of tips on how to make roux properly on the internet and I'm from New York so I'm sure you'll be able to work it out on your own. Just stay at the stove and constantly stir the oil and flour at a medium high heat until red. It should be about as dark as hot chocolate. Make sure you have all your veggies prepped ahead of time.

Step 2: Add the mirepoix and parsley to your roux. Mix it around real good until translucent (really, you can't tell when they're covered in roux so I just guesstimate 2-3 minutes). Then, add the garlic and the okra and mix until everything is covered.

Step 3: Add about 3/4 of the broth, stir to make sure the roux at the bottom isn't stuck to the pot, then bring to a boil.

Step 4: Add the rest of the ingredients and the rest of the broth. If this is looking too "chunky" feel free to add some more water or broth to thin it to your preferred consistency. Bring back up to a boil and then bring down to a simmer for about an hour. Add additional salt to taste; serve with rice of your choice.

If you're in Texas you should be able to get most of these ingredients fresh fairly easily. It depends on where in the state you are.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 1, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The POT BEANS thread has some tasty ideas.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Why the hell did nobody call me? There's a vegan thread on these here forums. Also, if you're curious about Indian vegan cooking, let me know. I'm your guy. Also, if you want to soup, let me know. I've got your back.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

Why the hell did nobody call me? There's a vegan thread on these here forums. Also, if you're curious about Indian vegan cooking, let me know. I'm your guy. Also, if you want to soup, let me know. I've got your back.
I think the vegan thread is archived now.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

How about delicious Gazpacho soup?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Allantois posted:

Guacamole is really good with carrots.

Hummus, too!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Roast one or two eggplants for 45 minutes or so. Scrape out the flesh and put it into a bowl, then dice up 1/2 a tomato for each eggplant. Use your hands to mash the eggplant and the tomato together, breaking up some of the stringy fibers of the eggplant. Add salt to taste and set the bowl aside.

Your spice mixture is a teaspoon or so each of: cumin powder, chile powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder. Mix this up and keep it ready.

Next you'll need to cut up about 1/2 a medium onion per eggplant, a bunch of garlic, and as many fresh chiles as you want. I like slicing the onion into half rings, but chopping it or whatever is ok too.

Now heat up a bunch of oil in a skillet or wok until it's pretty hot. Add a healthy sprinkle of cumin seeds and fry them for a short time, then add the garlic and chiles. Fry this for a minute, then add the onions. Keep frying until the onions get soft and translucent, then add the spice mixture. keep stirring while you fry the spices for about a minute, then add the eggplant/tomato mixture. Fry everything together for a minute or two, then turn off the heat and stir in some chopped fresh cilantro.

I like to serve it with plain rice.

It's completely vegan as long as you use a vegetable oil for frying, and it tastes really good. You won't be missing meat at all.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Steamed french beans with garlic

Roasted broccoli with lemon zest, pinenuts, olive oil and grated parmesan (just as good without if you are going vegan)

Roasted sprouts are good too

shades and a soda
Feb 2, 2008

I tried out various vegan recipes for a time just out of curiosity and despite not liking most of them I came across a simple snack you might consider: tofurky lettuce wraps.

I'm a bit iffy about tofurky but it's not that bad wrapped in a lettuce leaves with any other assorted veggies or your choice. I add a little bean sprouts, cucumber, tomato, some spicy mustard, or sometimes I'll just add a dab of siracha and jalapeno slices. It's no Phillipe's French dip roast beef sandwich that's been left out in the California sun and fused to the concrete, but in addition to both looking like a black woman's vagina, the tofurky has a similar taste and smell.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Good lord. This is becoming everything the vegan thread wasn't. If your recipe relies on something that is better identified by its brand name than by what kind of food it actually is, I'm not saying it's a terrible recipe, but there are probably better ways to cook vegetables. Nobody has ever referred to a vegetable by a brand name and there's no reason to gently caress that up.

This is a good (free) cookbook about how to think about cooking vegetables. It's a nice sort of "palette cleanser," so to speak, for someone who has grown up (as many of us have) thinking about meals as "something you do to a piece of meat to make it taste better." Once you're out of the habit of having a piece of meat (or a piece of tofurkey...) at the center of your meals, being a vegetarian/vegan becomes much easier.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

shades and a soda posted:

I tried out various vegan recipes for a time just out of curiosity and despite not liking most of them I came across a simple snack you might consider: tofurky lettuce wraps.

I'm a bit iffy about tofurky but it's not that bad wrapped in a lettuce leaves with any other assorted veggies or your choice. I add a little bean sprouts, cucumber, tomato, some spicy mustard, or sometimes I'll just add a dab of siracha and jalapeno slices.
if you're just making vegetables into meat replacements, why bother going vegan?

e:
:gb2fyad:

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 8, 2014

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
It's the end of the 10 days!!!

So, I survived and actually enjoyed some meals, which I was not expecting. I'm actually really glad that I did this.

Some of my favorite meals were:
Grilled portabellas
Avacado, roasted corn and tomato salad
Roasted poblano pepper stuffed with veggie mexican rice

These are in addition to the stuff that I already loved, like roasted cauliflower, steamed broccoli, hummus, curry, and roasted potatoes.

That said, tomorrow will start with eggs and sausage, lunch with a burger and dinner will be sausage and pepper pizza. Tomorrow will be a good day.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MeramJert posted:

Roast one or two eggplants for 45 minutes or so. Scrape out the flesh and put it into a bowl, then dice up 1/2 a tomato for each eggplant. Use your hands to mash the eggplant and the tomato together, breaking up some of the stringy fibers of the eggplant. Add salt to taste and set the bowl aside.

Your spice mixture is a teaspoon or so each of: cumin powder, chile powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder. Mix this up and keep it ready.

Next you'll need to cut up about 1/2 a medium onion per eggplant, a bunch of garlic, and as many fresh chiles as you want. I like slicing the onion into half rings, but chopping it or whatever is ok too.

Now heat up a bunch of oil in a skillet or wok until it's pretty hot. Add a healthy sprinkle of cumin seeds and fry them for a short time, then add the garlic and chiles. Fry this for a minute, then add the onions. Keep frying until the onions get soft and translucent, then add the spice mixture. keep stirring while you fry the spices for about a minute, then add the eggplant/tomato mixture. Fry everything together for a minute or two, then turn off the heat and stir in some chopped fresh cilantro.

I like to serve it with plain rice.

It's completely vegan as long as you use a vegetable oil for frying, and it tastes really good. You won't be missing meat at all.

Thanks for this, I have already made preparations to make it tomorrow.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

dino. posted:

This man knows what he is about. His cookbook is a staple in my kitchen.

Listen closely to him and follow his advice.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This man knows what he is about. His cookbook is a staple in my kitchen.

Listen closely to him and follow his advice.

dino. is never wrong.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Dino's veggie stuff is always point on, and mushrooms should be your friend if you're going veggie. Portabellos are fantastic.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pandaK posted:

Thanks for this, I have already made preparations to make it tomorrow.

Did you try it?

legasaurusrex
Jun 12, 2014

I used to be pretty terrible with eating veggies, I would do a pantry/fridge rehaul every once in awhile and go buy a ton of healthy stuff that I wound up not eating/going bad. My boyfriend at the time also did not want to try eating healthier so I had to still get all the crap food he wanted to eat. Instead of just completely changing everything I tried one dish at a time, slowly changing out recipes or finding new recipes that I liked (Pinterest helped a lot with recipes) Since I started doing that and giving myself time to adjust instead of slamming myself with a ton of new stuff at once I have kept up with eating better. I wouldn't recommend swapping your favorite dishes with healthy alternatives, you will probably just think the unhealthy version is more delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MeramJert posted:

Did you try it?

Yeah the first time I don't know what was up with the spices but I used way too much. Maybe because I used smaller Japanese eggplants for that one, but the whole thing just tasted of spices. Tried a second time with larger eggplants and less spice and it came out amazing.

• Locked thread