Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Welp, guess that's what I get for taking an Ariel & Co podcast at face value, as they talked about it back in April or May like this was some new Diaz revelation

Speaking of MMA journalism, Chuck Mindenhall has a great piece up on MMA Fighting about Afflication. I cross-posted it in the MMA Journalism thread and it's a long read, but very interesting: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/31/5953653/fifty-two-weeks-and-a-few-extra-zeroes-the-rise-and-fall-of

I thought this set the scene nicely:

quote:

The ring was a 30 x 30 simulacrum of the Pride ring, with a fighting surface of 28 x 28; most of the production was in homage to Pride Fighting Championships. M-1 Global and Vadim Finkelstein, who represented Fedor and his brother Alexander, co-promoted with Affliction. Donald Trump, the bangs-swept business magnate, was a stakeholder, too. His likeness was everywhere in the lead-up. Around the fascia ring at "The Pond" the words circled in bright electric blue….Trump…M-1 Global…Affliction…Trump…M-1 Global…Affliction.

If that unlikely cast coming together in the same room weren’t enough, the "Huntington Bad Boy" himself, Tito Ortiz, was in attendance. He, too, was given a swatch of that red carpet just a few days later.

Together this collective of movers, shakers and pariahs put together the first Affliction show on July 19, 2008, and it was a club that took its taboo-sounding theme -- "Banned" -- very literally. The UFC had shut out Affliction from sponsoring fighters in January after a contract dispute with its heavyweight champion, Randy Couture. That acrimony had extended to his associates. Affliction had launched the "Xtreme Couture" clothing line in 2006.

Couture, whom people fantasized would one day fight Fedor in the biggest MMA bout the galaxy had yet known, became the catalyst for a new promotion and a bunch of outsized paydays.

"Couture really couldn’t do anything for us," Affliction’s then vice president Tom Atencio says. "But he is absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, the reason we, No. 1, got banned from the UFC, and No. 2, that we put a fight on. So if you want to say he’s pivotal, yeah, Randy was absolutely pivotal."

A mega-card was concocted out of spite, in other words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Nick Diaz hates fighting and violence so much he gets into brawls on national television and hospital wards.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Man. I wish I was able to watch the beginning days of the UFC (I was like 2 at the time) because today I listened to the Steve Austin podcast featuring Ken Shamrock and I never knew how awesome and tough he was.

- Ken kicked the poo poo out of everybody in the gym even though they all outweighed him by like 100 pounds.

- Ken was by far the toughest guy in the UFC 1 tournament and nobody in the tournament was even on his level.

- Had the Gracie's known how tough and awesome Ken was he wouldn't have been allowed in the tournament.

- The Gracie's hosed with the tournament card several times. They even set up the fights so that Royce would get 2 fights to rest before the Semi- finals and Ken would have to fight twice in a row or something.

- During the UFC 1 fight they made Ken take off his shoes because they were so worried he'd gently caress Royce up. But they let Royce keep on his Gi, which was a dangerous weapon.

- Ken was kicking the poo poo out of Royce and almost tapped him but he slipped because he didn't have his wrestling shoes on. This allowed Royce to sink in a choke using the dangerous Gi.

- Ken, confused to as if he was training or fighting (he seriously says this) tapped out to the choke even though it didn't hurt because he thought like in training, he'd be able to just get up and keep going. After tapping and standing up, Royce, who usually would have no problem just taking down a guy and submitting him again, begged and pleaded with the ref to call the fight because Ken tapped. Ken admitted to tapping because he's honorable as gently caress.

- After getting lucky against Ken Royce ducked him every chance he could.

- Finally, after getting to fight Royce again at UFC 5, Ken beat the ever living poo poo out of him and the only thing that saved Royce was the time limit the Gracie's insisted on putting into place because they knew Ken was going to kill Royce if there wasn't one. The fight went down in the books as a draw but Ken said if a ref was there the fight would've been stopped on several occasions.

- He's the reason the UFC is as big as it is today.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

Man. I wish I was able to watch the beginning days of the UFC (I was like 2 at the time) because today I listened to the Steve Austin podcast featuring Ken Shamrock and I never knew how awesome and tough he was.

- Ken kicked the poo poo out of everybody in the gym even though they all outweighed him by like 100 pounds.

- Ken was by far the toughest guy in the UFC 1 tournament and nobody in the tournament was even on his level.

- Had the Gracie's known how tough and awesome Ken was he wouldn't have been allowed in the tournament.

- The Gracie's hosed with the tournament card several times. They even set up the fights so that Royce would get 2 fights to rest before the Semi- finals and Ken would have to fight twice in a row or something.

- During the UFC 1 fight they made Ken take off his shoes because they were so worried he'd gently caress Royce up. But they let Royce keep on his Gi, which was a dangerous weapon.

- Ken was kicking the poo poo out of Royce and almost tapped him but he slipped because he didn't have his wrestling shoes on. This allowed Royce to sink in a choke using the dangerous Gi.

- Ken, confused to as if he was training or fighting (he seriously says this) tapped out to the choke even though it didn't hurt because he thought like in training, he'd be able to just get up and keep going. After tapping and standing up, Royce, who usually would have no problem just taking down a guy and submitting him again, begged and pleaded with the ref to call the fight because Ken tapped. Ken admitted to tapping because he's honorable as gently caress.

- Finally, after getting to fight Royce again at UFC 5, Ken beat the ever living poo poo out of him and the only thing that saved Royce was the time limit the Gracie's insisted on putting into place because they knew Ken was going to kill Royce if there wasn't one. The fight went down in the books as a draw but Ken said if a ref was there the fight would've been stopped on several occasions.

Sometimes it feels like Ken and Royce are in an ongoing contest of who can tarnish their legacy more.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Ken's ego is truly special. In a sport where everyone understands that ego is part of the drive, with fans who are totally forgiving of it, he goes out of his way to make everyone hate him instead of just taking the credit he rightly deserves as one of the best fighters ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ken Shamrock was going to have a scrap in Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium, but it was cancelled.

Anyone who has an event scheduled at the Keepmoat is beyond hope.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ty1990 posted:

I bought the early UFC guys being suck, tournament fuckery and being too dumb to understand rules. But him saving the UFC and not mentioning the TUF guys was a load of poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ken Shamrock once got after me on twitter for kind of making fun of Jon Jones, complete with "What have you ever done with YOUR life!?!?". Someone was saying that he "made it" after scoring the Nike sponsorship or some other sponsorship and I said something like "What? Crashing his Bentley into a pole isn't made enough for you?", to which Ken took offense I guess.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ken did admit to tapping though. I thought he was good dude as a kid because of that. People are complicated.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ken's match prior to Royce featured his opponent tapping out and not being able to continue, so the whole "tapped out to the choke even though it didn't hurt because he thought like in training, he'd be able to just get up and keep going" makes absolutely zero sense on it's face.

Both of the Shamrock's are about the carniest motherfuckers in mma and you should never assume anything they say is anything other than a line designed to lead them into their next paycheck.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

-Atom- posted:

Nick Diaz hates fighting and violence so much he gets into brawls on national television and hospital wards.
I have no problem believing that he doesn't like fighting and simultaneously has really poor impulse control. The same part of his brain makes him jump people in hospitals and skip press conferences.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Ty1990 posted:

- Ken can bench press an elephant

- After getting abducted by aliens, Ken put them in a keylock and forced them to implant advanced bionics, giving Ken x-ray vision and retractable claws

- All three loses against Tito were stopped early. Ken was letting Tito hit him to break his hands. Had the refs not been there, Ken would have come back and made Tito tap to strikes.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ty1990 posted:

These two points are somewhat related. Ken rematched Royce at UFC 5 after a long and painful negotiation process. Royce hemmed and hawed until his demands for special rules were met (that coincidentally bolstered his fighting style): one 30 minute round with 5 minutes of optional overtime, and absolutely zero referee interference because he considered referees to be anathema to the spirit of vale tudo or whatever. So as soon as the match started Ken took him down, and Royce wrapped him up in such a way that Ken couldn't mount any offense and Royce wouldn't attempt any subs. Gracie basically pulled Ken on top of him and stayed that way for 30 minutes.

After UFC 7, they started incorporating judges once time limits were reached.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 31, 2014

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Josh Barnett has a point, gently caress blue decks.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Josh Barnett has a point, gently caress blue decks.

At 10:45 is the first time I've ever seen Josh genuinely laugh.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Anderson Silva is the blue deck of MMA. Lots of loving around, making you pissed off and then all of a sudden you are dead and you aren't sure what happened.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
That man outgrappled Nogueira in his prime. MMA owns.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Anderson Silva is the blue deck of MMA. Lots of loving around, making you pissed off and then all of a sudden you are dead and you aren't sure what happened.

Jake Shields is the blue deck of MMA: You try as hard as you can to do things, and then nothing happens and you lose.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Both the Diaz brothers are weird. Me and MP have pointed out when this stuff comes up that they don't really view themselves as professional athletes or whatever. Nate specifically said there's guys who consider themselves to be UFC fighters. Where he thinks of himself as a martial artist who fights in the UFC. I'm pretty sure he even mentioned if he had his choice he'd just teach BJJ.

I think their whole attitude is kind of, well if I have to fight to make a living gently caress everyone else because they're only here to hurt me, I don't want to be friends, I just want to go in there, fight and go home.

They've probably left a lot of money on the table because they're unwilling to "play the game" but I honestly don't think either of them would give a poo poo if they never fought in the UFC again. It's just where they can get the best pay day.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

BlindSite posted:

Both the Diaz brothers are weird. Me and MP have pointed out when this stuff comes up that they don't really view themselves as professional athletes or whatever. Nate specifically said there's guys who consider themselves to be UFC fighters. Where he thinks of himself as a martial artist who fights in the UFC. I'm pretty sure he even mentioned if he had his choice he'd just teach BJJ.

I think their whole attitude is kind of, well if I have to fight to make a living gently caress everyone else because they're only here to hurt me, I don't want to be friends, I just want to go in there, fight and go home.

They've probably left a lot of money on the table because they're unwilling to "play the game" but I honestly don't think either of them would give a poo poo if they never fought in the UFC again. It's just where they can get the best pay day.

I like the Diaz bros, they are cool dudes and I respect this poo poo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

BlindSite posted:

which would be fine except they spend half their time bitching about innocuous things like rankings and marketing which wouldn't matter to them at all if they really did only care about representing martial arts and making money. They even watch UFC fights in their free time when nobody is forcing them. So I think they care more about fighting in UFC than they lead on.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I would think a lot more highly of the Diaz brothers if any of this was actually true.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

reminder that warmachine has the best twitter feed of all MMA fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
On that note...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654566

• Locked thread