Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Effectronica posted:

Well OK, let me put this in local parlance: I regularly trot out allusions to old sci-fi, the Pali Canon, etc. in my daily life, and fly off the handle when people misinterpret them or are plain ignorant of them.

You should try not posting in TG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

Well I know that these people are a tiny fraction of the actual body. It just frustrates me a lot that these crazy people are always trotted out by other crazy people as a way to make themselves seem sane by comparison. I just recently found a word for it on RationalWiki, nutpicking, and it pretty much sums up this crap.

Yea it sucks but my point is those people doing it aren't usually genuine in being all 'yea man this totally ruined social justice for me' because that person is usually a clearly powerless, loving insane, person, it's more that they confirmed pre-existing biases the person in question had and thus became the perfect 'oh yea see this is why basic support for minorities is dumb' totems to hold up.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Bigup DJ posted:

gently caress off. This is more "There is no way out and you are irredeemable" moral crusader bullshit.

Sorry I care about my friends being harassed and the biggest game in this hobby legitimizing their harassers, I guess.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Asymmetrikon posted:

You should try not posting in TG.

I don't think that you should focus on driving people out for not knowing the particular context like you're doing with SunAndSpring. If that makes me incompatible with you, well, I don't care about you, sorry.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Effectronica posted:

I don't think that you should focus on driving people out for not knowing the particular context like you're doing with SunAndSpring. If that makes me incompatible with you, well, I don't care about you, sorry.

The particular context would be easy to find if you cared enough to do even 10 minutes of research.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

The particular context would be easy to find if you cared enough to do even 10 minutes of research.

Wrong. The particular context, as in the thing which provoked all this, is that you do not care for people thinking negatively about anyone that waves the banner of justice on high. Because SunAndSpring, (or for that matter, me) did not say anything about Mike Mearls being actually a really great guy who picked heroic figures to endorse.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Sorry I care about my friends being harassed and the biggest game in this hobby legitimizing their harassers, I guess.

Well poo poo, who could have seen this coming. Pissing all over someone on an internet forum has nothing to do with stopping your friends being harassed and don't pretend otherwise. Defending your attempt to drive this guy out by invoking social justice is a poo poo thing to do.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Bigup DJ posted:

Well poo poo, who could have seen this coming. Pissing all over someone on an internet forum has nothing to do with stopping your friends being harassed and don't pretend otherwise.

Is this the part where it is posted that Zak did, in fact, harass people to poo poo and that it's really lovely to stand up for him? Yes, it is!

Zak did, in fact, harass people to poo poo over their gender and their opinions on elfgames. Calling him out and anyone who endorses him is the right thing to do. Stop being deliberately disingenuous.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Well poo poo, who could have seen this coming. Pissing all over someone on an internet forum has nothing to do with stopping your friends being harassed and don't pretend otherwise. Defending your attempt to drive this guy out by invoking social justice is a poo poo thing to do.

The thing is, the mindset that there are THOSE CRAZIES undermining the movement enables that harassment. Because guess where victims of harassment get lumped? Harassers are often people with connections, friends, and a lot of clout, so the idea that there are people SO DUMB AND CRAZY DESTROYING THE MOVEMENT gives them a shield- "I didn't do anything, they're just those drat SJWs!" Zak and his ilk use that literally every day. So frankly, telling people who bring that poo poo up to gently caress off is pretty mild.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So hey any good RPGs that capture that whole 'Arabian nights' thing? I know like, AD&D had a not-Arabia thing and there's Fire and something from the people who did Legend of the Five Rings, but is there anything more?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, I'm finding all this talk interesting, if a bit heated, so I'm not trying to change the subject. Keep on keepin' on. But I'd also like to get some conversation going about traps.I saw it get started up a couple pages back but then die off. A few of you have heard that I'm back to work on SBBQ and intending to publish it soon. Ferrinus is doing art for me and he's got a really cool cartoony style that's a great fit for the rather un-serious tone of the game, and I've got another goon lined up to do layout and editing if I can afford to pay her. So I'm excited about that. But on my to-do list is include a bunch of sample traps. And I can't for the life of me think of good ones! I've got the hidden pit, the room filling with water/poison gas, the trash compactor from star wars, everything in the Indiana Jones movies ... and then I'm out of ideas. When I google around for ideas everything seems ridiculously contrived like some insane rube goldberg contraption. Simple Save or Ouch traps are okay, but a bit boring - they only serve to either give the trap-finder something to do, or to wear down party resources. How do I make traps more interesting without getting into "insane wizard with too much time on her hands" territory?

Fake edit: Here's the first piece Ferrinus made.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So hey any good RPGs that capture that whole 'Arabian nights' thing? I know like, AD&D had a not-Arabia thing and there's Fire and something from the people who did Legend of the Five Rings, but is there anything more?

Not only did AD&D do Not-Arabia (Al-Qadim), they did actual Middle East in the Crusaders book of their historicals line. I remember them being pretty un-groggy, calling out attempts to poo poo on characters and players in the name of "realism."

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you like storygames, maybe 1001 Nights. Located here: http://nightskygames.com/welcome/game/1001Nights

I can't speak to it personally, but it could theoretically be exactly what you're looking for?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I would also love to know about more options in this area.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

K Prime posted:

The thing is, the mindset that there are THOSE CRAZIES undermining the movement enables that harassment. Because guess where victims of harassment get lumped? Harassers are often people with connections, friends, and a lot of clout, so the idea that there are people SO DUMB AND CRAZY DESTROYING THE MOVEMENT gives them a shield- "I didn't do anything, they're just those drat SJWs!" Zak and his ilk use that literally every day. So frankly, telling people who bring that poo poo up to gently caress off is pretty mild.

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Saying that someone who thinks that all tomboyish characters in fiction are trans women is bad is not enabling harassment in any real sense. Or someone that demands furries be treated as on par with LGBT people.

Traveller posted:

Is this the part where it is posted that Zak did, in fact, harass people to poo poo and that it's really lovely to stand up for him? Yes, it is!

Zak did, in fact, harass people to poo poo over their gender and their opinions on elfgames. Calling him out and anyone who endorses him is the right thing to do. Stop being deliberately disingenuous.

This has not happened in the last few pages, at all. You are delusional.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sometimes things are OK. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2014/07/dungeons-dragons-saved-my-life.html

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SJ Games Warriors

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think the best traps should have some level of challenge to them beyond 'see this tripwire? You shouldn't trip it or you'll probably get a spike in the butt'. Like, to bring Indiana Jones back up, the best moments from his 'navigate the traps to get to the treasure' stuff involve some thinking or make a challenge. The rolling ball makes him have to sprint through an ancient temple, the darts are on special triggers he has to know the meaning of to avoid, the 'penitent man shall pass' stuff ties in with the theme of the treasure in general.

A good trap should, in some ways, be a puzzle, and most importantly feel 'organic' to the dungeon. If it's some elaborate kobold tunnels run by a dragon there should be poo poo fitting the dragon's element and things that go with the underground and all, a chamber that floods with (insert element here) unless you properly recreate a diorama of some great moment of pride in the dragon's life, or a tunnel that collapses just enough to crush anyone not properly groveling on the ground and crawling to the dragon's chamber or something.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Saying that someone who thinks that all tomboyish characters in fiction are trans women is bad is not enabling harassment in any real sense. Or someone that demands furries be treated as on par with LGBT people.

No, but the idiotic focus on them does. The vast majority of people wasting their time getting unduly mad at randos teenagers on tumblr are the same bigots that make people miserable, sorry. The venn diagram is a circle. People who actually give a poo poo are busy, so only the assholes have time to spend mocking I_HATE_CISSIES or whoever.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, sometimes people do the same bad poo poo the racist, sexist, etc. people do: doxxing, harassing people, saying slurs against that group, and so on. It sends a bad message and lets the bad people play the victim. I'm sorry that I worded that post badly. I just don't like it when people sink to the level of the bad guys to fight them. I know these people aren't the entirety of the social justice community, but they do make everyone in it look worse for wear and become fuel in the fire for jerks to discredit the movement.

Did you just not read all of the post you quoted or what? Because Winson explicitly mentioned this and how stupid it is.

Effectronica posted:

I don't know why you think passive-aggressiveness is a good thing to practice, on the internet or anywhere.

That isn't passive-aggressive. It's just regular aggressive.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Tales of the Caliphate Nights is a 3rd Party True20 supplement which does a dang good job of weaving in the genre's tropes while teaching players about the Golden Age of Islam.

It's a very cool book, and while True20 suffers from some D20isms, it's not as rules-heavy and is more streamlined than 3.5. I haven't run True20 much, but the book makes for some fine reading. I might do a Fatal & Friends on it sometime.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

K Prime posted:

No, but the idiotic focus on them does. The vast majority of people wasting their time getting unduly mad at randos teenagers on tumblr are the same bigots that make people miserable, sorry. The venn diagram is a circle. People who actually give a poo poo are busy, so only the assholes have time to spend mocking I_HATE_CISSIES or whoever.

Okay, so we're circling around the central problem of people reading entire volumes into simple statements that reverse the meaning of what was said outright.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

This is sort of tangential but it ties into the "room filling with water thing," but I'd like to see something where a trap, or really just a big "event," takes place over the length of a dungeon. So for example, the entire dungeon filling with water and you're going through several rooms, or a cavern complex that's collapsing and you have to escape, or ruins high in the sky that are destabilizing and falling to the surface below and you have to jump to the next stable location (which in turn becomes destablized, etc).
I'm not sure how I would do it, but it would be cool for the game to have a way to represent this kind of pressure that was fairly unique and specific, instead of being a generalized abstract skill challenge sort of deal, a system that was first designed and presented as "escape from the self-destructing lair" even if it could easily be used for, say, a chase or any other time limit scenario.

In terms of traps, perhaps a focus on improvised natural wilderness traps? Rolling logs, short poisoned spike pits, logs swinging in on vines, snares, deadfall logs (or rocks), etc etc, maybe presented as openers for an ambush?
Also, maybe a way to represent an area oversaturated with traps, where swinging scythe things are right next to jets of flame are right next to spikes shooting up from the floor are right next to snake pits, all of which are down just ten feet of hallway, and massive parts of the dungeon are similarly dense, where it becomes more about reflexes and endurance than approaching traps on an individual basis.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so we're circling around the central problem of people reading entire volumes into simple statements that reverse the meaning of what was said outright.

No we are circling around the bit where you seem to think that because a thing does not personally annoy you it is not an annoying or stupid thing to say. Other people are allowed to be angry at things you personally don't get or find annoying. They are even allowed to be angry to the point where they ask the other person to go away! The other person does not have any obligation to listen!

K Prime fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 19, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Libertad! posted:

Tales of the Caliphate Nights is a 3rd Party True20 supplement which does a dang good job of weaving in the genre's tropes while teaching players about the Golden Age of Islam.

It's a very cool book, and while True20 suffers from some D20isms, it's not as rules-heavy and is more streamlined than 3.5. I haven't run True20 much, but the book makes for some fine reading. I might do a Fatal & Friends on it sometime.

This is basically exactly what I was hoping for, my group can handle a few "welp that's D20" things if it's less clunky than some of the worst in the field.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't recommend In a Wicked Age enough. The conflict system is a bit fiddly but the game is built around rotating GMs and recurring characters and is explicitly built for telling the kind of mythical-political story I think you're looking for.

e: Play around with the four oracles a little bit and you'll know whether IAWA is right for what you want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
OK I have given it some thought, and while I dig on open dialogue and all I suspect this one has come about as far as it is going to go without circling downwards. Since the subject to hand has drifted well afield of TG stuff and pretty much everyone involved has staked their stakes about as deep as it goes, this chat thread is gettin a gritty reboot in the form of me closing this one. Whoever wants to post it can feel free to do so. PM me or yell at me on IRC if you wanna as far as closing this goes, but this race seems run.

• Locked thread