Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

ughuhguhguhg holy poo poo who cares

lol this is where all fat hate threads inevitably end up going, cooking and budget advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Action Tortoise posted:

they take criticisms of being fat and conflate it as criticisms of them because they're fat.

holy poo poo, it's like gamers.txt

Don't judge me because I am eating myself to death!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

indigi posted:

I'm all for a moderate amount of fat shaming just cause I'm for a moderate amount of shaming in general for everyone who makes weird/dumb decisions, but is it really so hard to have a little empathy and compassion?

I've lost ~100lbs but still have a decent amount to go, and it's loving hard as poo poo. I've been stalled for months now cause I just started antidepressants and it's really loving with my metabolism. sometimes I can only stick to my diet by leaving all my money and credit cards at home. it's insane and really embarrassing and I think a certain amount of ridicule or down-talking is deserved but honestly, it's not like I don't know. and it took me almost a decade of aborted attempts to finally find a way that worked and even that hasn't been working recently. just cause you have a certain level of self-discipline and control w/r/t eating doesn't mean everyone else does as well but is just ignoring it.

i wouldn't go around actually "shaming" a fat person in real life because i've been there (and back again) and i know it's hard to lose weight and it loving sucks being fat, but if you are 400 lbs and publicly posting about "fat acceptance" on the internet i'll happily mock you on the internet.

like, i'm a human being with empathy so i'm not going around saying "you're fat and should feel bad" to every fat person i see

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Torka posted:

right, cool, but we've been pushing the personal responsibility angle for 30 years and regardless of how true it is it hasn't worked, in fact the problem's gotten a lot worse

so what's our next step?

Teaching cooking, nutrition, smart shopping, household budgeting and time management from elementary school IMO. It's really sad that people aren't learning how to cook from their parents and are therefore considering fast food easy and economical.

I have a mint green polka dot bra like that Amber Sarah person only mine is much much smaller. I kinda don't want to wear it any more.

E: oh while I was typing this six other people said exactly the same thing lol

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 2, 2014

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys just got in from doing tonight's fitness class. Do I have unrealistic body expectations? No mods no masters

Edit: like any product in history the consumer is lazy and stupid. the only way to get people slim is to regulate the food industry and stop letting them make literally the cheapest food possible. It'll probably save us money in the long run even.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Widestancer posted:

I'm genuinely curious, since I spent most of my time growing up outside the US: when did this whole not taking care of yourself stop being taught from the top down as a thing? If it ever even started?

I learned the food pyramid as a kid and there was always gym class, but gym gets cut from a lot of schools anymore. They didn't really go into fat and calories until middle school. Nutritional information labels have only become standard since 1990, so a lot of people were never taught how to read them (and have never taught their kids how to read them.)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Widestancer posted:

I'm genuinely curious, since I spent most of my time growing up outside the US: when did this whole not taking care of yourself stop being taught from the top down as a thing? If it ever even started?
It's parents' responsibility too. As a kid, white rice with Diana Sauce was an acceptable snack. Big bowls of ice cream were acceptable desserts and drinking non-diet soda was better than diet soda because artificial sweeteners "give you cancer." My parents grew up relatively poor (my dad much more so) and so there was always an ethos of clean your plate, quantity over quality, etc. It was like feast or famine but the famine never came. That's how I was raised and why I got fat, and why I couldn't reverse the damage until I was old enough to do research, buy my own groceries and make my own meals.

For schooling, I remember learning about the food pyramid in grade three or four and that's pretty much it. We had "health" class in High School but that was almost exclusively sexual health.

I'm in Canada btw.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Torka posted:

lol this is where all fat hate threads inevitably end up going, cooking and budget advice

the life cycle of a gbs thread:
-call the op a fag
-some jokes
-page three: the funny page
-page 7: the joke stops
-page 7 a few posts down: serious discussion of topic without irony
-page 10,000: there was never a joke, there was always arguing, disagreement is heresy

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

limeincoke posted:

Beans, rice, and chicken are literally some of the cheapest foods out there and are incredibly easy to prepare, so I don't understand idiots saying it's too expensive to eat healthy.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
My diet is utter dogshit and I'm still amazingly fit and sexy. Basically I'm awesome and fat people are repugnant

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Also I would argue that if you have children or plan to, then you absolutely owe health to your children.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
go post in this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609285

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

the life cycle of a gbs thread:
-call the op a fag
-some jokes
-page three: the funny page
-page 7: the joke stops
-page 7 a few posts down: serious discussion of topic without irony
-page 10,000: there was never a joke, there was always arguing, disagreement is heresy

in b4 gas

tric bypass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

concerned mom posted:

in b4 gas

tric bypass

lol

• Locked thread