Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Terra Tech is on Kickstarter at the moment and to be honest it looks like they could use some help to hit their goal, they're about 1/3 of the way in both time and funding. I've been playing the hell out of their free demo for the last week, so figured I should make a thread.

The full game will be an RTS that lets you design and build your own units, but for now the demo is a sandbox vehicle builder with some enemy AIs in there for combat. You get a bunch of functional lego-like blocks... wheels, guns, drills and various mining equipment, wings, rockets etc. Other vehicles come at you, and once you blow them up you can salvage their left over parts in game to make yourself bigger, stronger, faster. There's also racing, plane and rocket building challenge modes.

Creations get distributed similar to the way Spore did it (they embed the ship data in a png snapshot with steganography) but instead of setting up a massive backend server and ruining everything like EA did, they just use twitter to post and load other player's creations. Anyway, I got a bit OCD on he demo this week and created about 50 ships.

Here's a few to give you an idea what you can make.

This is my basic startup truck to skip the really early stage where you have two bricks and a single machine gun... the game spawns enemies to match your current ship value. I call it the Suburban Assault Vehicle, soccer mums of the post apocalyptic future will probably drive these.

This ballista looking thing is tilted so that all the weapons are pitched up by about 30 degrees giving the cannons more range, and also firing mortars straight up which is great for murdering the really tall builds people make that try to get out of normal mortar height range.

This compact plane has single wings but double engines so it is faster, but less maneuverable. It takes some skill to complete the checkpoint challenge.

Download the free sandbox demo for PC here : http://www.indiedb.com/games/terratech/downloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread