Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked GGO. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Endorph posted:

I liked GGO. :smith:

I did as well though it obviously could've been better.

I think SAO & Kirito is enjoyable more if your okay with the idea that sometimes the protagonist can be awesome without putting a lot of work to get there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
GGO is actually kind of decent, it's just that the adaption was aggressively boring.

Caliber was animated so I guess I'm okay with SAO II.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think SAO & Kirito is enjoyable more if your okay with the idea that sometimes the protagonist can be awesome without putting a lot of work to get there.
He did put in a lot of work, it just mostly happened offscreen as poopsocking his VR sword skills before anyone else started plus keeping up with it, as well as studying mechatronics with a very focused bent to allow Yui to interact with the real world. There wasn't much point in spending screentime on either of those.

JDG1980
Dec 27, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

GGO is actually kind of decent, it's just that the adaption was aggressively boring.

It wasn't a terrible story, it just dragged on forever. It should have been about half the number of episodes that they gave it.

I would also have preferred to see a bigger role for Asuna in that arc, and a less godlike Kirito. (For example, in that "Untouchable" mini-game, did they really have to say he's the only one who ever won? Why not say that only a handful of the best players can do it, and it's been a few weeks since the last jackpot? That would still establish Kirito's skills without going way over the top.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
That jack pot also made no sense, it should've had a pre-set pay out of some large amount of currency, if it starts zero no one is going to try it.

Paracelsus posted:

He did put in a lot of work, it just mostly happened offscreen as poopsocking his VR sword skills before anyone else started plus keeping up with it, as well as studying mechatronics with a very focused bent to allow Yui to interact with the real world. There wasn't much point in spending screentime on either of those.

Well yeah, but that's part of the point, a lot of justifying material is 'off screen' or internal dialogue that got cut; so to the audience you just sort have to be 'okay' with that to really enjoy it.

Its partly why I'm digging the novels so much, its more in depth and less telling and more showing.

JDG1980
Dec 27, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well yeah, but that's part of the point, a lot of justifying material is 'off screen' or internal dialogue that got cut; so to the audience you just sort have to be 'okay' with that to really enjoy it.

Its partly why I'm digging the novels so much, its more in depth and less telling and more showing.

I think the anime did a pretty good job of establishing Kirito's technical interests and skills. Remember, in the very first episode, he knew enough about the technology of the NerveGear to figure out how Kayaba was able to make players' avatars match their real-world appearance (and to realize that he wasn't bluffing with his death threats). Throughout the second season, a large portion of his real-world scenes show him tinkering around with a laptop or some sort of electronics, and it often specifically states he's working on VR-related stuff to help Yui. I'm not really sure that adding additional cut-scenes with technobabble would have made this more clear; it would just have broken up the action and bored many viewers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It fits a bit oddly with the bit in the interviews about Kirito's IQ being average, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Silver2195 posted:

It fits a bit oddly with the bit in the interviews about Kirito's IQ being average, though.
Wasn't the question about IQ, but the in-character answer about his middle school test scores?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My room would have been dusty too if I was even a little bit invested in the characters. Still the best arc though, just because it tried to explore some interesting implications of speculative VR technology. Makes the first season retroactively worse by comparison.

Huragok posted:

All I could think about through the all-the-faeries/dying-moments scene was "how would goons crash this touching moment?"

I also came to post a variation of this.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rexides posted:

I also came to post a variation of this.

Wearing inappropriate items. It's an Asian MMO, there's bound to be various referential outfits out there, as well as just normal silly outfits.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

You can have an average IQ and be really loving good at your chosen field of interest.

Kirito in the novels I wouldn't say was bland, he's not exactly the most interesting and original character, but he at least has way more asides, and jokes, when the author inner monologues him.

Edit: Holy poo poo

http://kotaku.com/ffxiv-community-holds-massive-vigil-for-a-dying-player-1673823454

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 21, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Something like that happened in WoW too.

Only they held it in a PVP zone (because it was the dead person's favorite zone) and posted about it beforehand on the forums, so a massive guild rolled up and destroyed them all. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On the other hand I can imagine that being exactly what that player would have wanted.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

Something like that happened in WoW too.

Only they held it in a PVP zone (because it was the dead person's favorite zone) and posted about it beforehand on the forums, so a massive guild rolled up and destroyed them all. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewP1zfm_Yqg

If I recall the event properly the person didn't actually die either and it was all for attention.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I did as well though it obviously could've been better.

I kinda like the show most when theres more gamey/VR stuff going on, but that usually gets pushed out of the way when the stakes ramp up and its some life/death situation going on :shrug:.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Which is liked more: SAO or Log Horizon?

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Hagop posted:

Prepare your self for for 11 years of Kirito vs a TREEEEE!!!!!!!!

Nalin posted:

I don't even know if Alicization has been finished yet. It is a very, very long arc.

I think, despite the length, they could easily fit Alicization into a 25 episodes series. A lot of the text is spent describing long, drawn out battles. When it comes to action, you can spend 2 pages describing something that could be shown visually in 2 seconds.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My only sorta question is how Akiho Kayaba in some way contributed to the medical full dive tech wasn't somehow a massive revelation warranting a follow up plotline or the possibility of Yuuki living on as an AI. They reacted with the entirely appropriate *GASP!?* and then inexplicable picnic scene where they don't bring it up again.

Nalin posted:

I don't remember enough of the next arc to comment on the Kayaba revelation, but I do know that the entire picnic scene was anime-original. The novel ended on that revelation, but it wasn't so much as a cliffhanger. The tone seemed more like a, "Wow, there are still things we don't know. What does the future hold?" type of a moment.

I'm more surprised that they were surprised. "You mean to tell me that the guy who invented full dive technology when no one else in the world was even close to a similar breakthrough also invented medical full dive technology which is basically the same thing? I'm shocked."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Which is liked more: SAO or Log Horizon?

SAO at it's peak, Stuff like Caliber, Mothers Rosario specific arcs/chapters in SAO is better than just about anything Log Horizon IMO. However on the whole I would probably go with Log Horizon. As that is on the whole far more gamey and mechanics based. Which is what I come to my stupid mmo animes for.

Also Yeah, Isn't Alicezation like 4-5 loving books? They should just condense that down into a 26 episode season.

I still can't get over just how loving Metal Gear the backdrop to Alicization is. It's like if you mixed the arsenal gear portion of MGS2, with the Brains in tubes portion of MGR:Revengance.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 22, 2014

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I couldn't even get into Log Horizon at all. Those first 2 episode are so bad it knocked it out of the running. You're dump into a fight, but nothing is happening. What I am guessing is the main character is having a really long internal dialogue that tells us nothing. Its there to set the show up, but it didn't set anything up at all. Maybe it gets better? I don't know, I gave up one it at the end of episode 2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
LH is mostly character drama and world building. SAO is mostly about Kirito being the bestest sword fighter ever while onlookers swoon. They aren't terribly similar aside from the 'living in a game' thing, and even then that isn't really what LH is about. I'd say that SAO is easily more popular, because the (rarely fulfilled) promise of awesome sword fights is innately more accessible than exposition about economics.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SAO is a sci-fi focused on technology's influence on humans and society. LH is a fantasy focused on political and economical struggles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

nielsm posted:

SAO is a sci-fi focused on technology's influence on humans and society.

Ahahaha, nope. This is the first arc to include any benefits to vrmmo technology beyond having sword fights and meeting waifus. Apparently one of those benefits is that it allows physically disabled people to also engage in sword fights.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ahahaha, nope. This is the first arc to include any benefits to vrmmo technology beyond having sword fights and meeting waifus. Apparently one of those benefits is that it allows physically disabled people to also engage in sword fights.

You know, this arc did make me wonder what would happen if you used the VRMMO technology on a comatose person. Would they wake up in the game? Or would they just be comatose, but now in the game?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Read the novels, they are very much about the difference between real and VR and the blurring between the two.

Kayaba wanted to create a perfect virtual world that mimicked reality, Rapey McDio dude wanted to essentially treat players minds like reprogrammable robots and modify real humans, Death Gun was hosed from SAO and wanted to simulate that world again, with Sinon playing as therapy to get over real trauma in her life.

Mothers Rosario is obvious, as is Alizcization.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

nielsm posted:

SAO is a sci-fi focused on technology's influence on humans and society. LH is a fantasy focused on political and economical struggles.

It's basically the author's Thing He Writes About. I mean, Accel World is basically the same, only with augmented reality sharing the spotlight with virtual reality.

It's also consistently better than SAO, since he wrote it later. When we are getting a second season?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Einander posted:

It's basically the author's Thing He Writes About. I mean, Accel World is basically the same, only with augmented reality sharing the spotlight with virtual reality.

It's also consistently better than SAO, since he wrote it later. When we are getting a second season?

When Ascii Media Works and Warner pay for one.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Einander posted:

I don't know, SAO has its ups and downs, but AW was just bad. I think I watched like half of it before giving up. All I remember is that the MC is a weird super irritating pig man, and their was a dude on a bike who was way to cool for the bit role he got.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hiroyuki grows on you, in general he's a breath of fresh air in that he isn't some sort of generic athletic hero guy but has deep issues and insecurities while being somewhat pudgy; he's relate-able for a lot of geeks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The bigger issue with AW is how Snow Black is just intolerably mysterious.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I think her name actually is or close to snow black, think about it. Her mother Asuna's family name is Yuuki, perhaps she opted to keep her families last name when she married Kirito. Then her first name could be Kuro, meaning black in Japanese. So Yuuki Kuro, and then she just decided to call herself Kuro Yuki Hime, or Princess Snow Black.

The really mysterious bit for me is that she supposedly has a sister, which we know nothing about.

edit: Like we know who her parents are from the light novels, and even a bunch of other stuff, but yeah guess I gotta agree pretty mysterious.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 24, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In the light novels, we know who her sister is, which is a pretty loving huge spoiler and for that reason I won't write it here (but you can easily look it up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm thinking that BlitzBlast is referring to the fact that she's an infuriating chuuni.

• Locked thread