Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The answer is always both, and if it fails the market data will say Nobody Likes [Franchise] rather than Nobody Liked [Tangent Spinoff], Make New Mainstream Entry Instead.

It's why people get upset when companies do this (:goonsay: petulant whining not included), because it's often hard to get across that you DO want more, just more like the original.

Your feints should be able to pivot into real attacks at a moments notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This is a horror game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2747780/Dishwashing_Simulator/

It's had more tension just playing it for about an hour than a lot of horror games out there. I haven't even seen an enemy yet or died.

Also you get to wash dishes.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Has anyone played https://store.steampowered.com/app/2006140/Withering_Rooms/

It looks really neat but i wanna get a outside view from the steam reviews, and i have seen absolutely no news of it anywhere besides the blurb in the new games thread. Anyone here got a take? I think it looks really neat based on the trailers...

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Okay i went out and bought it. so far im having a great time.

the game reminds me of the coma 2 with a lot more player agency and a gothic sheen. the combat is a fittingly slower paced than the usual metroidvania, but the thing that really draws me in is the variety the player has. you have a array of craftable spells that grant a heap of buffs and abilities- damage bolts, summonable allies, and hp restoratives/shields. in addition you have a bundle of usual material world supplies, distractions, and weapons that you can toss and craft. the game has strong clock tower vibes, with the player being able to distract and hide tougher stalker type enemies, but they too can be felled with your weapons and spells if you dedicate yourself to combat and the ability to set up traps and distractions feels like a great way to get started on a tougher enemy. you can even put a little english on your combat- the strong windup attack carries you forward a bit, but if you swing the other direction at the last moment you lose the momentum, letting you not carry the attack past the enemy in front of you. the roguelike design of the game seems really appropriate- you can die and the game will shuffle rooms around floors and rez the enemies, but your plot progression items and major equipment are all saved so death doesnt feel too stinging, and you permanently up your stats with enemy drops.

the game has a haunting mechanic where spells and enemies fill up a curse-o-meter, and as that jacks up you see the environment go from regular turn of the century spooky to silent hill meets castelvania style. getting cursed also gives you some benefits, however i wont spoil anything there. the game's mood is well set by the soundtrack, with some rooms being silent besides the creak of wood under footsteps, and others cranking up the weird reverb and screams and you enter weirder areas (although i particular loved a unusually goofy tune that plays for one of the characters).

im not terribly far in yet- i beat the first boss, and am getting into the next biome area (helpfully, the game tells you what items would be useful in the area im venturing into via a little shopping list). its been a great time so far, and my brief foray into the next area started with some terrified running and flailing. ive avoided any mention of the plot, but suffice to say its weird- if the great opening doesnt catch your eye, id be surprised.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Got the AITD collectors edition because I'm such a fanboy of the original PC game. Was simultaneously my first horror game, my first introduction to lovecraft style horror, and first legitimate PC gaming experience (other than playing Doom at 5 FPS). I like the statues that came with the collectors edition, they go fairly well with my OG PC box and feelies. Haven't started it yet as I finished up my Rebirth plat literally last night after playing the game straight for over a month, and I still need to finish Separate Ways DLC.

However I'm really looking forward to it despite middling reviews. From what I've skimmed it goes hard on lore/texts (as did the OG), has crappy combat (as did the OG), and people are baffled by the end game boss (as it's the same one as the OG). What could I not love?

Arkage fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 8, 2024

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Hibbloes posted:

the game reminds me of the coma 2 with a lot more player agency and a gothic sheen. the combat is a fittingly slower paced than the usual metroidvania, but the thing that really draws me in is the variety the player has. you have a array of craftable spells that grant a heap of buffs and abilities- damage bolts, summonable allies, and hp restoratives/shields. in addition you have a bundle of usual material world supplies, distractions, and weapons that you can toss and craft. the game has strong clock tower vibes, with the player being able to distract and hide tougher stalker type enemies, but they too can be felled with your weapons and spells if you dedicate yourself to combat and the ability to set up traps and distractions feels like a great way to get started on a tougher enemy. you can even put a little english on your combat- the strong windup attack carries you forward a bit, but if you swing the other direction at the last moment you lose the momentum, letting you not carry the attack past the enemy in front of you. the roguelike design of the game seems really appropriate- you can die and the game will shuffle rooms around floors and rez the enemies, but your plot progression items and major equipment are all saved so death doesnt feel too stinging, and you permanently up your stats with enemy drops.

the game has a haunting mechanic where spells and enemies fill up a curse-o-meter, and as that jacks up you see the environment go from regular turn of the century spooky to silent hill meets castelvania style. getting cursed also gives you some benefits, however i wont spoil anything there. the game's mood is well set by the soundtrack, with some rooms being silent besides the creak of wood under footsteps, and others cranking up the weird reverb and screams and you enter weirder areas (although i particular loved a unusually goofy tune that plays for one of the characters).

im not terribly far in yet- i beat the first boss, and am getting into the next biome area (helpfully, the game tells you what items would be useful in the area im venturing into via a little shopping list). its been a great time so far, and my brief foray into the next area started with some terrified running and flailing. ive avoided any mention of the plot, but suffice to say its weird- if the great opening doesnt catch your eye, id be surprised.

The game is also really big for these types of games, I'm about 18 hours in and I still have at least two biomes that I know of that I can explore, plus some other spoilery stuff I can do

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hibbloes posted:

Is it jumpscare heavy at all or more unsettling/creepy?

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

ImpAtom posted:

Is it jumpscare heavy at all or more unsettling/creepy?

id say more gloomy and horror themed than outright scary or creepy. there's definitely a few that could be classified jump scares but since theres a curse world essentially you always know theres gonna be things messing with you environmentally in that version. a character actually addresses the issue of the design of the "horror house" in what i thought was a neat conversation as well. on a gameplay level you tend to have lots of options available and the difficulty seems to be more along the lines of being overwhelmed by a combat encounter, either through being outmatched or having more company than you thought, versus a "weighing of the resources" type of tension.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Hibbloes posted:

Has anyone played https://store.steampowered.com/app/2006140/Withering_Rooms/

It looks really neat but i wanna get a outside view from the steam reviews, and i have seen absolutely no news of it anywhere besides the blurb in the new games thread. Anyone here got a take? I think it looks really neat based on the trailers...

It’s great but it does the survival horror thing where it throws some pretty insane encounters at you towards the end of the game that can get frustrating. I will say I haven’t actually died outside of a boss room yet, which means I haven’t experienced any of the roguelike elements and can’t comment on those. Resources are fairly abundant and it’s not that hard to keep yourself alive, even there are an overwhelming number of things coming at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just played the new content on Lethal Company and oh boy there is nothing quite like strolling through a graveyard of mechs and then having three of them immediately activate and start firing rockets at you. Jesus christ I thought I was going to have a heart attack, I don't think I've ever been so jumpscared.

My friend later said "I just switched to you when you got inside the building and all I heard was whimpering"