Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.
Hi Goons,

I have been having crashing issues with Dota 2 since upgrading my RAM from 2gb total (1gb sticks) to 4gb total (2gb sticks). I'm not sure if RAM is the issue, since the game was just patched. However, when I looked at my system information, I noticed that:

Total Physical Memory is 3.37 GB
Available Physical Memory is 919 MB

This seems like a big problem to me. What could be the cause of it? Or is it not a problem at all? I don't know anything about computer hardware, and when I purchased the RAM I just looked up my computer on crucial.com, went to Newegg.com, and purchased an approximate match for what crucial.com suggested. Maybe I should have just ponied up the extra $30 to get the crucial.com memory kit.

Thanks for your help with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Install a 64bit os

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.

Don Lapre posted:

Install a 64bit os

It's true that I am using Vista 32-bit. However, shouldn't I be able to access about 3gb of the memory?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Your ram is just being used, cached, or reserved when you look at system info. Even using 1 browser with 3 tabs I'm "using" 3 gb of ram, out of 4 on this laptop. A lot of that will free up if something really needs the ram.

The problem here is what don larpe said. Use a 64 bit OS

You are "seeing" 3 gb of ram according to what you posted. Probably crashing because you're using trying to use half a stick of ram, and its some memory extension workaround thing too that might add even more flakiness. woops I thought 32 bit could only recognize 2gb, was confusing memory limit extensions (3gb) with capacity. Still, 64 bit lol

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 7, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

goatmouth posted:

It's true that I am using Vista 32-bit. However, shouldn't I be able to access about 3gb of the memory?

Your video card's ram is included in the pool you have available. Also install a 64 bit OS.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Available memory is your total memory minus the amount in use. Use the task manager to figure out what is consuming the most memory.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hifi posted:

Available memory is your total memory minus the amount in use. Use the task manager to figure out what is consuming the most memory.

Hes probably referring to usable memory in system control panel.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Factor Mystic posted:

Your video card's ram is included in the pool you have available. Also install a 64 bit OS.

This is a common but untrue myth, video RAM is not directly addressable and does not cut into available RAM directly. There is some amount of RAM used up by all hardware device mappings including the video card, but this is a fixed amount tied to the specific chipset you're using and won't change when you change the amount of video card RAM you use. Can be anywhere from 500MB to 1GB on most machines nowadays.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Also to all those saying just install a 64 bit os, that won't always fix the problem because I also have the same issue.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
It sometimes depends on your motherboard & BIOS too. I've had a machine from 2007 that would only read ~3 Gb of memory even after installing 64-bit Windows 7 until a BIOS update.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wargames posted:

Also to all those saying just install a 64 bit os, that won't always fix the problem because I also have the same issue.

Check your bios for a memory remap option.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We had the same problem with some dumb HP laptops at work. 4GB of ram, less than 1GB usable. Our solution? send the laptops back and get lenovos because HP support told us to use the reinstall disc to revert to the factory image.

Thanks buddy, good advice on my $1500 enterprise laptop.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

wargames posted:

I've seen that happen with faulty DIMMs. Sometimes reseating the DIMM helps, other times it just keeps happening and what's going on is that the memory is detected but it never is actually used.

Tim-may!!!
Jun 22, 2002
I think this blog post may help shed light on what is going on:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/04/13/memory-management-dude-where-s-my-ram.aspx

And like other respondents have said, Available memory is what you have left of the total amount after various Windows processes use memory.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Does your CPU/Mobo have an integrated GPU? Have you tried disabling it in the BIOS? Sometimes they will reserve system memory even though nothing in the OS is reporting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Does your CPU/Mobo have an integrated GPU? Have you tried disabling it in the BIOS? Sometimes they will reserve system memory even though nothing in the OS is reporting it.

It does not, but I am pretty sure it the faulty dimms or my MB is hosed.

• Locked thread