Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
"It's actually pretty rare to come across a deer in the woods," Murray said "And if you fly into space, and you go and visit planets, most of them will be dead, they will be rocks. What we want to do is, 90 percent of the time that will probably be true in our game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Shame its a ps3 exclusive, will it ever come out on pc?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

concerned mom posted:

Shame its a ps3 exclusive, will it ever come out on pc?

Disappointed, was expecting the first line of the OP to be "on PC"

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
these blatant pc games that are console exclusives will just die a sad lonely death like a tepid dwarf planet shuddering in the black morass that is space

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Holy poo poo

That sounds incredibly boring

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
no mans sky is minecraft without the ability to build anything

why is anyone excited about it

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Every person will get a unique boring experience.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What it needs is to be a huge clustered MMO so if you find one of those needle in a haystack planets you can mine the poo poo out of it then defend it from other armchair fatlords

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Uh that deer in the woods thing is bullshit?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
We already had this game and it was called Mass Effect!

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

care

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

why is anyone excited about it

It shows stuff about resources in the trailer but I've never played that aspie game so I'm not positive if that's what you mean

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Seconding the deer in the woods thing. If you have ever been in real wilderness left to thrive outside of human intervention that poo poo is packed with wildlife. I literally can't walk 20 feet without seeing a deer and I don't even live in the woods.

Basically what he is saying is that going outside is more fun than his video game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Deer are awful. I would start hunting just to shoot them in the gently caress ING face

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
a kangaroo literally jumped into a metal pole outside my office and killed itself, it was pretty sad but also kinda funny in a morbid way. It was jumping along full pelt and all we heard was just *thwack* then theres this massive dead roo in a pool of blood, still twitching.

The best part though was, we threw a tarp over it and called property services to come get it, they roll up, step over the pool of blood and around this still twitching tarp, and the first thing the guy asks is "alright - so where's this roo then?"

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Start citizen should buy them out and make a super game

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

abigserve posted:

a kangaroo literally jumped into a metal pole outside my office and killed itself, it was pretty sad but also kinda funny in a morbid way. It was jumping along full pelt and all we heard was just *thwack* then theres this massive dead roo in a pool of blood, still twitching.

The best part though was, we threw a tarp over it and called property services to come get it, they roll up, step over the pool of blood and around this still twitching tarp, and the first thing the guy asks is "alright - so where's this roo then?"

Was driving along at night in a metropolitan suburb and heard a thud and yes, a roo had been startled nibbling some grass behind parked cars and it decided to headbutt my car door at full tilt. The roo in this story is indie games I guess.

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA

Pirate Jet posted:

Heh, one of the developers actually make a Minecraft reference in one of the latest videos that was posted today: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-the-biggest-game-world-ever-created/1100-6420892/

No Man's Sky will be Sony's PS4 premiere stoner game.
i won't lie i'll prob get it :weed:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
a 2 man game dev team promising poo poo that hasn't even been tried outside of some concepts from large companies? o man i hope i can preorder before every copy ever is sold out because video game jesus has arisen

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
what do you even do in this game? is it just flying around or is there an actual point?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

abigserve posted:

lmao

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chuck Tanner posted:

what do you even do in this game? is it just flying around or is there an actual point?

live a space life because you're real one is poo poo

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chuck Tanner posted:

no point, you get to explore ugly planets which are all the same with randomly generated stuff you've already seen before.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
This isn't as funny without the legions of loyal spergs spending thousands of dollars on ships that don't exist.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
so from reading people's descriptions, is this just Noctis v2 with higher screen resolutions?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

why do people keep thinking procedural generation is this super cool thing that allows for infinite replayability instead of what it really is, a lazy way to create a bunch of boring lovely content

veilo
Jul 17, 2010

Never posts

babypolis posted:

why do people keep thinking procedural generation is this super cool thing that allows for infinite replayability instead of what it really is, a lazy way to create a bunch of boring lovely content

It can be done right eg diablow/payday2/minecraft - but in each instance where it is done correctly, it takes more work than just placing everything manually - mainly because you still have to have solid content to place in the first place.

So developers have the following options:
a) place everything manually - huge amount of work/effort/resources
b) good procedural generation - even more work/effort/resources
c) do procedural generation shittily - easy way out

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Joust posted:

Every person will get a unique boring experience.

basically every game with procedurally generated levels

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most planets in space are just rocks or gas giants so yeah this is pretty accurate.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR010PQkJVc

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

90 percent of the time it's boring every time

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It could be good

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
im making a feminist rastafarian version of dis game called no woman no sky

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I can understand the general public being morons that poo poo themselves over the 30 second concept video this game exists as but the enthusiast press reaction to this game around E3 has taught me that 10-20 year industry veterans haven't learned a drat thing about managing expectations in their 10-20 covering vidja games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

100,000,000,000 km wide

1mm deep

• Locked thread