Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unfair
Oct 6, 2012

(Continued from previous thread)

Description
The Walking Dead is a five-part game series set in the same universe as Robert Kirkman’s award-winning comic book series. Play as Lee Everett, a convicted criminal, who has been given a second chance at life in a world devastated by the undead. With corpses returning to life and survivors stopping at nothing to maintain their own safety, protecting an orphaned girl named Clementine may offer him redemption in a world gone to hell.

Style
I'm going into this semi-blind (with a bit of editing to preserve quality), and picking the worst possible choices. This is not intended to be serious, and from what I've seen so far may be somewhat story-breaking - since it seems to want to force you to play as a good person. We'll see where it takes us.

Feedback/Suggestions/Participation
There won't be any voting on moral choices, as I mention in the video we're going for the most unpopular outcomes possible. Feedback is always welcome, it's how I improve and doing this somewhat blind is definitely a departure from my normal LP style.

Spoilers
Don't spoil anything we haven't seen, and keep the discussion relatively game-centric. I don't care much about TV series spoilers, but be respectful of people who may want to watch that in their own time.

This is my favorite game, and you're ruining it
Yes. Check out YouTube for the lovingly crafted longplay you desire.

Where are the subtitles?
They scroll rapidly, word-by-word as the characters talk. As much as I don't respect some of the choices the designers made, they did a good job with the atmosphere and the subtitles severely mar that aesthetic. Since the voice acting is nice and clear anyway I'm leaving them off.

Episodes

Part 1 - Meeting Clementine
YouTube Polsy

Part 2 - Life on the Farm
YouTube Polsy

Part 3 - Macon Store
YouTube Polsy

Part 4 - Motor Inn
YouTube Polsy

Part 5 - Brother
YouTube Polsy

Part 6 - Starved For Help
YouTube Polsy

Part 7 - St John Dairy
YouTube Polsy

Part 8 - Dinner Time
YouTube Polsy

Part 9 - Meat Locker
YouTube Polsy

Part 10 - Long Road Ahead
YouTube Polsy

Part 11 - Argument on the Road
YouTube Polsy

Part 12 - Train Wreck
YouTube Polsy

Part 13 - Stop The Train!
YouTube Polsy

Part 14 - We're a Team
YouTube Polsy

Part 15 - Bonus: Alternate scenes
YouTube Polsy

Part 16 - Around Every Corner
YouTube Polsy

Part 17 - Looking for a Boat
YouTube Polsy

Part 18 - Sewer Zombies
YouTube Polsy

Part 19 - Crawford, Georgia's Last City
YouTube Polsy

Part 20 - Crawford's Destruction
YouTube Polsy

Part 21 - For Whom The Bell Tolls
YouTube Polsy

unfair fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Part 16 - Around Every Corner
YouTube Polsy

Finally got the fourth chapter recorded (this thread is a continuation of the old thread that got archived while I was being lazy).

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

drat, can't believe Ben's surprised at being treated like that. He's been pretty terrible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ben, you just abandoned a little girl while Lee was looking at you, and you apparently don't think there was anything wrong with that.

You were a business major, weren't you?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Yeah, I feel like we've been trying to get rid of Ben for ages now. He just won't leave!

---

Part 17 - Looking for a Boat
YouTube Polsy

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Part 18 - Sewer Zombies
YouTube Polsy

I think I fixed the weird clicking it was doing on some of the ducking in the last episode, as well as remembering to remove the loading screens (hurray!).

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Is that the first time you've been killed purely by a bad conversation answer? I feel like it hasn't happened that directly before.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Polsy posted:

Is that the first time you've been killed purely by a bad conversation answer? I feel like it hasn't happened that directly before.

It can happen in the cannibal farmhouse, if you threaten to kill the mother when she's holding Katjaa hostage - but can't remember if that made the final cut for the LP. I try a lot of stuff in the background and ditch it when it's not significantly different from normal deaths/dialogue.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is great to watch, I remember playing up till the farm and getting stuck at some point, then losing the save.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, my first impression on seeing the shed was "it's a boat", but then I talked myself out of it.

I wonder how they're going to get it to the street?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We've now seen the greatest bullshit zombie power; they're perpetual motion machines. The immunity to injury can be excused for graphic design, drama sense and teleporting can be excused for story telling, but there's no drat reason in your gritty, mature zombie story to include flat-out magic.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Part 19 - Crawford, Georgia's Last City
YouTube Polsy

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hhhhhuh. I suppose eventually we'll meet a small number of hostile survivors, but I was actually kind of looking forward to Lee and his group interacting with people who generally outnumber them.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
unfair, are you OK? You usually put out a great number of videos and it's been few and far in between lately. No pressure, just genuinely concerned.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

bodz5150 posted:

unfair, are you OK? You usually put out a great number of videos and it's been few and far in between lately. No pressure, just genuinely concerned.

Yeah, just a confluence of different things. I should have another one of these out this weekend some time - we have two episodes left for this chapter (plus maybe a bonus one with alternate scenes, TBD).

---

I usually don't talk about life stuff just because it seems like most people just want content, not non-SA jibber jabber - but here's the long version of what's been going on:

In 2013 I did half as many game reviews as the previous year (88 vs 200), due to the amount of LPs I produced and an increase in review quality. This year I'm at already at 75 even with occasionally extreme production times - so that's good. On top of that I was doing some home renovation this summer - which killed my schedule for about a month - and had issues with two hard drives immediately after which took a lot of time to sort out.

I probably won't pick up more than two LPs at once from here on out though, because each one is a pretty big time dedication. I think even these Walking Dead episodes with pretty sparse commentary take 2 hours each, including recording time, cleaning up audio, editing out loading screens, etc. On the extreme other end - World of Warcraft probably takes like 8 hours per episode, which is why I don't do those often. I am planning to finish up Riddick and Infested Planet, but I didn't want to revive the threads without enough guaranteed time to finish them.

Probably more information than you wanted, but yeah I'm okay, thanks for asking.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Part 20 - Crawford's Destruction
YouTube Polsy

Thanks Ben.

DirtyPatty
May 30, 2011
This LP inspired me to get the game. It's pretty good but some of the quick time events can be pretty annoying. Sadly, no matter what I did I couldn't get Ben killed and save Carley. Seems like a lot of the choices lead to the same end pretty much. It does seem to branch a bit more when you get to the final chapters though. I hope you go back to making the awful choices, seems like you are getting nicer. I just can't bring myself to be an rear end in a top hat and I want to see what happens.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

DirtyPatty posted:

This LP inspired me to get the game. It's pretty good but some of the quick time events can be pretty annoying. Sadly, no matter what I did I couldn't get Ben killed and save Carley. Seems like a lot of the choices lead to the same end pretty much. It does seem to branch a bit more when you get to the final chapters though. I hope you go back to making the awful choices, seems like you are getting nicer. I just can't bring myself to be an rear end in a top hat and I want to see what happens.

Yeah you can't save certain people - I've tried to show off most of the major plot differences. At the end of the next episode we get a tally of who likes us and who doesn't - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
My favorite part is where Molly gives Lee the car battery and the motions make it look like he put it into his back pants pocket.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ben! What the hell, man.

...I wonder if he's suicidal.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Part 21 - For Whom The Bell Tolls
YouTube Polsy

Chapter 4 finale, finally! One of the most satisfying episodes so far...

DirtyPatty
May 30, 2011
Yay, Ben finally died! He was so awful. I always tried to save everyone but him. About Lee getting bit, anyone know if you check the garbage cans before you go to the walkie talkie that you can avoid it? I went right for the walkie talkie in my play through too. As far as getting the newbies to leave you I think it would happen if you didn't give Clemintine the gun so she could shoot the zombie back at the mansion. Also does anyone else think doctor guy sounds and looks like George Carlin? Can't wait for the last chapter.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
There's no way to avoid getting bit. It's a Fixed Point in time, to borrow a phrase. I think if you've been mean to Christa and Omid and then shrugged them off (as opposed to selecting "...") they'd go their own way without you. Ch. 5 plays very differently when you're solo.

A nice touch that telegraphs the cancer people bugging out is that the room you first enter was stocked full of supplies when you first discovered them, and now those shelves are empty.

Even if Kenny is being his usual "you didn't back me 100% of the time even when I was being a dumbass" idiot, you can still win him over in the last dialogue. Of course, telling him to gently caress himself is NOT the option to go down that path.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Even if Kenny is being his usual "you didn't back me 100% of the time even when I was being a dumbass" idiot, you can still win him over in the last dialogue. Of course, telling him to gently caress himself is NOT the option to go down that path.

Haha yeah, I intentionally burned that bridge - I've been trying to get rid of him for ages too. If I can get Omid and Christa to leave in the bonus video I may use that save for the next chapter, depends on which way is more interesting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, I thought the bite wasn't the thing. I thought dead bodies were just standing up and killing, which is what happened to Crawford.

I mean, obviously it's a problem because of all the poo poo living in decayed tissue, but pour some rubbing alcohol on it or something.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

DirtyPatty posted:

Yay, Ben finally died!

Yeah, it says a lot when the game literally gives you a 'let Ben die y/n' option and 1/3 of people take it.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Glazius posted:

Wait, I thought the bite wasn't the thing. I thought dead bodies were just standing up and killing, which is what happened to Crawford.

I mean, obviously it's a problem because of all the poo poo living in decayed tissue, but pour some rubbing alcohol on it or something.

As far as I can tell people turn into zombies regardless of how they die, but being bitten seems to introduce an incurable infection that kills you faster. Zombie rabies.

Edit:

I found a more "scientific" version of my answer:

quote:

The canon explanation in The Walking Dead is that "Everyone is infected with a dormant/passive version of the virus."

Upon the host's death, the virus activates, transforming the host into a walker.

When bit by a walker, It transfers some of the live/active virus into the victim. This virus stays active, slowly killing the host through the process of making them a walker.

This is explained & shown in the final Season 1 episode of the TV series, TS-19

unfair fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 28, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Was wondering if unfair is thinking about doing season 2?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Was wondering if unfair is thinking about doing season 2?

Doubtful, unless people really really want me to for some reason. I still have to finish up Riddick/Infested Planet, and Defense Grid 2 is out in a month as well.

This one was more of a whim to see if this type of game could be LPed without ruining it. While I think it worked okay, choose your own adventure games aren't super engaging to actually play (and I'm not sure if the style I'm using for this would really fit well with the second game anyway, for spoiler reasons).

I'd be happy to hear anyones thoughts about it though - those were just my initial thoughts, nothing is set in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

unfair posted:

Doubtful, unless people really really want me to for some reason. I still have to finish up Riddick/Infested Planet, and Defense Grid 2 is out in a month as well.

This one was more of a whim to see if this type of game could be LPed without ruining it. While I think it worked okay, choose your own adventure games aren't super engaging to actually play (and I'm not sure if the style I'm using for this would really fit well with the second game anyway, for spoiler reasons).

I'd be happy to hear anyones thoughts about it though - those were just my initial thoughts, nothing is set in stone.

I'm enjoying your playthrough of this. I would definitely watch the second seaon of the game if you LPed it. That said, I also want to see the CRF LPs of Riddick/Infested Planet and Defense Grid 2. Guess I am just greedy like that.

• Locked thread