Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bartok
May 10, 2006

I wonder how many kids had kayfabe broken for them by going to a Smackdown tapping and seeing a match redone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

They generally still kayfabe it, by having the loser ask for a rematch, or some authority figure coming out to restart the match, or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirDippingSauce posted:

What finally broke kayfabe for me was my step-dad pointing out if the Ultimate Warrior was in the "airtight" casket for as long as he supposedly was, he'd be braindead.
Considering Warrior, is that really that much of a plothole?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bartok posted:

I wonder how many kids had kayfabe broken for them by going to a Smackdown tapping and seeing a match redone.

I've posted about this before, but back when Raw was taped I went to a taping where they did Adam Bomb vs Kwang THREE TIMES, same exact ending. I don't know why they needed to do the first reshoot (a botch maybe) but the third match was probably because for the entire second match Adam Bomb noticeably had Kwang's mist on his singlet from the first match, and Kwang never actually spit it at him until the end.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
My older brother got me a pair of wrestling buddies when I was 3, and any time friends or family came over and saw them they'd tell me how fake wrestling was. Five years later, I happened upon a Men on a Mission squash match and thought "yep, it's as dumb and fake as everyone had lead me to believe" and went back to watching WMAC Masters.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I went through several levels of fakeness. The first time I realized something fishy was going was when Diamond Studd showed up in WWF but his name was now Razor Ramon. Well, maybe he had to change his identity because all the WWF guys saw him on TV as Diamond Studd and knew he was an rear end in a top hat.

Then around '94 when all the stupid wrestler with a day job gimmicks came out I knew these guys couldn't possibly be working two jobs, these are characters they're playing on TV. But at least they're actually still fighting each other, just in costume. Razor Ramon went back to WCW and became Scott Hall, his real name. He didn't want to play a character anymore, but he had been talking like Razor Ramon for so long that he forgot what his real voice sounded like. I got into a fight with another kid during recess because I cheered for the NWO.

ECW came around, WWF started getting more violent in response. WWF was mostly fake; they weren't actually fighting but they still hated each other. ECW was all real. WCW, Scott Hall, and the Wolfpac were completely fake. My buddies and I all agreed on this. I was such a fan of Bret Hart that I sided with him against America.

About a year after that I went to a new school and everyone thought I was really stupid for being so into that fake poo poo.

When I was a little kid my grandma and all the other old ladies in my extended family loving loved wrestling and would get together to watch the PPVs. One of my aunts couldn't bear to watch the Shawn Michaels vs. Rick Martel match from Summerslam '92 because they were both so handsome!

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
My younger brother, who was into martial arts, clued me in. We were watching a match where one wrestler was mounted on the turnbuckle and punching the other guy in the face for a ten count. My brother pointed out that even someone not trained in fighting but that big would be unconscious after about punch 3 and brain damaged by punch 10.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Burt Buckle posted:

I think it's weird to hear that people ever thought wrestling was real. I can never remember a time where I thought it was real.

Yea I think I never saw it as anything but a show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Haha, I totally remember the old "ECW is real, everything else is fake" arguments.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The very first time wrestling ever flashed across the screen while flipping channels, dear old dad immediately stated, "It's fake." I didn't even try to watch for another ten years.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Maybe it was playing WWF-related video games and realizing they went back and forth instead of, say, Hogan being beat down a lot for a while and then hulking up.

Also, when I was more of a casual viewer I thought it was fake when Austin walked out seemingly fine the Raw the night after Summerslam 1997. What was I thinking

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

sticklefifer posted:

Haha, I totally remember the old "ECW is real, everything else is fake" arguments.

I remember I had one of the ECW home video's that had the sandman vs Raven in the barbed wire match, and I was watching it at a friends house and his sister tried to tell us that the blood was cgi. I just remember thinking that was a particularly funny instance of someone just refusing to admit that something in wrestling might be real.

We asked about the crowd watching and she told us that they were just playing along.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I was the same way. I didn't watch wrestling but I knew it was fake so I assumed everything was fake

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
When Jake the snake put Damien the snake on Dean Ambrose and he smiled! I just knew something was wrong.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Probably the best place for it. First bought the magazine after looking at pictures seeing there was Wrestling in Japan and that was where Hulk Hogan and the Road Warriors were hiding:

Inside the brand new issue of the magazine. Finlay Martin says that this is the final edition of the magazine:

:(

Have had a love/hate or combative relationship with the magazine the last ten years. But it was a real outlet for UK/Irish fanaticism and for those who went further - wrestlers extending to WWE/TNA stars to managers, promoters, writers, podcasters, other publishers etc. At launch it's approach and design was really revolution. Helped spread the word about ECW, Puro and Lucha in particular. Also gave me something to read in class during secondary school. :P

The loss of any long standing publication and a small business sucks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That's a drat shame. Used to buy Powerslam all the time. It was poo poo but I liked it. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Rob posted:

I remember I had one of the ECW home video's that had the sandman vs Raven in the barbed wire match, and I was watching it at a friends house and his sister tried to tell us that the blood was cgi. I just remember thinking that was a particularly funny instance of someone just refusing to admit that something in wrestling might be real.

We asked about the crowd watching and she told us that they were just playing along.

I remember my sister watching a Hogan match back in the 80s and laughing uproariously before smugly telling me that it was obvious that Hogan was holding a beanbag in his hand so that it wouldn't hurt when he punched his opponent :laugh:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Jerusalem posted:

I remember my sister watching a Hogan match back in the 80s and laughing uproariously before smugly telling me that it was obvious that Hogan was holding a beanbag in his hand so that it wouldn't hurt when he punched his opponent :laugh:

I had someone tell me they hid packets of ketchup under chairs for the blood effect. I love how outlandish people get about how fake they percieve wrestling to be.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I remember my grandpa having to tell me it was fake because it was the only way I would talk to him. Million Dollar Man did something or the other and I was just SO UPSET and I knew my grandpa always loved him so I was furious he would like a person like that. After I found out that he wasn't really an evil person and, by association, my grandpa wasn't an evil person, I kind of became a fan too. Then my grandpa and I did a puzzle of him over and over and that's a happy memory.

My grandpa died when I was a kid and I was a fan of wrestling on and off afterwards. But I saw Ted Dibiase live at Wrestlemania and I was so pumped because of that.

Oh and I missed his funeral for an Undertaker match.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

The_Rob posted:

I had someone tell me they hid packets of ketchup under chairs for the blood effect. I love how outlandish people get about how fake they percieve wrestling to be.

My parents used to tell us stuff like that, but I have a feeling they knew full well the blood was real, they just didn't want us to think it was. Or maybe not, they were never wrestling people, they probably just fell into the group of 'it's fake, everything's fake'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

My parents used to tell us stuff like that, but I have a feeling they knew full well the blood was real, they just didn't want us to think it was. Or maybe not, they were never wrestling people, they probably just fell into the group of 'it's fake, everything's fake'.

I wasn't allowed to watch wrestling as a kid because my father thought it was fake and stupid, and it wasn't until I was 12, Steve Austin was a thing and I could use my brother's TV that I started. He was always disappointed that "you like that fake junk" and when EXPOSED: PRO WRESTLING'S GREATEST SECRETS was announced he demanded we watch it together so I could see his point of view.

He actually came away from it a wrestling fan, because he'd been operating under the assumption that the falls didn't hurt, the matches were all rehearsed and above all else the blood was stage makeup the ref handed to them. When the show got to wrestlers cutting their foreheads open with razors he adopted a sort of shocked respect for the whole thing.

We ended up going to four or so wrestling shows after that. He eventually admitted that while the wrestling was fun his favorite part was getting to chant "rear end in a top hat" at people.

• Locked thread