Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

gnome7 posted:

After the Smash 4 Little Mac trailer where Samus made fun of how short he is, I think she'd be a really good fit for a secret character in the next Punch Out, yeah. They could even give her that animation as a taunt, it'd be great.

I've seen way too many pieces of Little Mac x Samus fan art to ever accept them as rivals.

seasonally appropriate edit:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gnome7 posted:

After the Smash 4 Little Mac trailer where Samus made fun of how short he is, I think she'd be a really good fit for a secret character in the next Punch Out, yeah. They could even give her that animation as a taunt, it'd be great.
Is Samus still over 6 feet tall or did Sakamoto screw that up too?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Y-Hat posted:

Is Samus still over 6 feet tall or did Sakamoto screw that up too?

Only in armor, she's something like 5'5" in the Zero Suit now. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think they officially retconned her size but there are a lot of characters that are a good head or two taller than her in Other M so they either reduced her height (or simply didn't take it into account) or everyone in Nintendo Space Land is loving huge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or it's now operation on Sonic rules. Normal sonic characters are like waist high compared to normal people.

And then Sonic Boom happened and now they're like a foot and half taller than they were.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dresh posted:

Only in armor, she's something like 5'5" in the Zero Suit now. :v:

Originally she was over 6' tall without armor.

fake e:

Wiki says 6'3" in most games without armor, but then 5'1" in Other M. God drat.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think that Other M measurement is officially listed everywhere, people just guesstimated based on Samus' height relative to the other characters ans the difference between her height when she is/isn't wearing the suit. I tend to think they were just ignoring stuff for the sake visual contrast rather that consciously making her shorter or whatever.

Incidentally, Little Mac was made much taller for the Wii version: he was originally 4' 8" (132cm) but they jacked him up to a towering 5' 7" (170cm).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think that Other M measurement is officially listed everywhere, people just guesstimated based on Samus' height relative to the other characters ans the difference between her height when she is/isn't wearing the suit. I tend to think they were just ignoring stuff for the sake visual contrast rather that consciously making her shorter or whatever.

Incidentally, Little Mac was made much taller for the Wii version: he was originally 4' 8" (132cm) but they jacked him up to a towering 5' 7" (170cm).

Jesus Christ! That's as tall as Manny Pacquiao!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
He's not little by any standard at 5'7. I mean, that's just an inch shorter than the average height for an American male. If you're gonna make him taller than a (admittedly kinda silly) 4'10, at least make it 5'4 or something.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Garrand posted:

Wiki says 6'3" in most games without armor, but then 5'1" in Other M. God drat.

The wiki also says she weighs nearly 200 lbs without armor on, which is almost double Little Mac's weight. Samus is buff as hell. But it also makes it kind of weird for her to be shorter than Little Mac at the same time...

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The wiki also says she weighs nearly 200 lbs without armor on, which is almost double Little Mac's weight. Samus is buff as hell. But it also makes it kind of weird for her to be shorter than Little Mac at the same time...

It's Nintendo - the same game company (well kinda) that has a game (Pokémon) with a whale which is 14.5m (47') long and weighs only 398kg (877lb).

That's only roughly twice the density of air. It's a whale which literally wouldn't be able to dive in water!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

NeoAnjou posted:

It's Nintendo - the same game company (well kinda) that has a game (Pokémon) with a whale which is 14.5m (47') long and weighs only 398kg (877lb).

That's only roughly twice the density of air. It's a whale which literally wouldn't be able to dive in water!

Oh yeah, good old Wailord. In fact, depending on how you interpret the Pokedex data - 14.5m is listed as its "height" - you could end up with its stats being even more absurd. If you do go with 14.5m as its length, then approximating it as a capsule 14.5x5.6m big, Wailord is only slightly more dense than air. If, on the other hand, it's the other way around, then the poor dude has a density of 0.07 kg/m3. That less dense than pure gaseous hydrogen. What that thing has on its inside is deeply mysterious.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

JT Jag posted:

He's not little by any standard at 5'7. I mean, that's just an inch shorter than the average height for an American male. If you're gonna make him taller than a (admittedly kinda silly) 4'10, at least make it 5'4 or something.

To be fair, he's quite little compared to the other contenders, let alone the (former) Champion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ArcadePark posted:

To be fair, he's quite little compared to the other contenders, let alone the (former) Champion.

The AGDQ speedrun of this game includes triggering a few camera glitches, one of which shows a side view of Mac vs. Bald Bull. It's kind of hilarious how far over Bald Bull has to crouch to bring his face within punching distance. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RareAcumen posted:

Or it's now operation on Sonic rules. Normal sonic characters are like waist high compared to normal people.

And then Sonic Boom happened and now they're like a foot and half taller than they were.
Is that before or during jumps?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

ArcadePark posted:

What bothers me more is that they updated his height but not his weight. Little Mac is cleary muscular, there's no way he's only 107 lbs

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Edit:double post, ignore

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is that before or during jumps?

What do you mean exactly? What jumps?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a joke that the characters get a foot taller when they jump.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is a joke that the characters get a foot taller when they jump.

I thought you were talking about jumps between games or something. :downs:

MisterBishop
Sep 2, 2011

Nooby engineer
For anyone with a moderate amount of coins left on their Club Nintendo account, Doc Louis's Punch Out!!! (and a lot of other games) is available again until June as part of their closing down sale. Get it, and face the terror of leopard-print Doc!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mac hangs it up for good, thanks to your votes!

"Punching the World with Yoshi's Feet" will be the last video of the LP, and that'll be up on his own time.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I don't think Next Level Games has announced anything concerning their next project. I know the last one they did was the Luigi's Mansion sequel.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I was never a big fan of Super Punch Out, and I only liked the NES game okay, but for some reason, I can't get enough of this game, I really hope Next Level gets to make another one of these on the Wii U someday.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair if you fight Mac as Pit in Palutena's Temple, you get this conversation:

Palutena's Guidance posted:

Pit: This guy looks ready to fight!
Viridi: That's Little Mac. As a boxer, fighting is sort of his thing. No one can match his strength on the ground, but in an aerial battle, he's helpless.
Palutena: So you want to get him in the air, and keep him from landing.
Viridi: He has a power meter that, once full, lets him unleash a lethal attack.
Pit: He seems tiny, though...
Viridi: Maybe that's why he's LITTLE Mac. But even with his small stature, he's triumphed over many heavyweight boxers. Pretty impressive for a puny HUMAN.
Pit: Bring it on! The stronger the opponent, the more interesting the fight!
Viridi: That's the spirit!
Pit: Uh, I can keep using my weapons, right?
Viridi: Ugh! Yes...

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Aksys is not actually a developer; they localize bunch of Japanese games for the English markets. Ark System Works is the boys you are looking for.

Despite having really similar names, both have nothing in common with one another, besides the fact that Aksys localized bunch of ASW games.

That's not to say Aksys is an unremarkable company; they are rather brave for bringing bunch of games to the states that other publisher dare not to.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
So uh just on a final note, I looked up some of the voice actors once again and found a terrifying fact.

The voice of Donkey Kong in this game, Takashi Nagasako, is not only the official voice for DK in all the Nintendo sports games and Mario Kart...but he's ALSO loving Ganondorf...in Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker as well as ALSO motherfucking DEMISE himself in Skyward Sword.

I just found that kind of amazing to realise even though he clearly works close with Nintendo but still drat.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for this LP.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Well done, Yoshi! It was really satisfying watching you waste all those boxers flawlessly. I got to live vicariously through this LP.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thread title fulfilled.

And that's the final video of the LP. Thanks to everyone who watched and enjoyed it, and of course thanks to Yoshi for putting his all into it from start to finish. More Wind Waker HD NG+ is on its way.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
...my god.

I completely forgot you were gonna do this. God dammit guys THIS is the Patreon winner right here. Great work Yoshi, this was pretty awesome to see it all come full circle. You can hang up the belt for real. :)

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 26, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Reminds me of Vicas' run of Mario 64 with only his feet

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Well, can't say the thread doesn't deliver on its title anymore!
Voted 5, this thread deserves to go out as a gold.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
The only thing that would make this better is if you had Vicas on commentary while you do the playing.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

David D. Davidson posted:

In all honestly if you don't tape the wiimote to your feet and try to play a few rounds like that I'm going to consider this LP a failure.

You did good son, I'm proud of you.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You got a win with your feet. I count that as a victory over the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The ending is really kind of melancholic, and I like how it all shakes out, leaving you with challenges to collect and covet.

• Locked thread