Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Well, you're pretty much a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I like balvenie 15

Nikka is a nice japanesu whiskeyu, but it's very perfume-y so you should only have one glass and then switch to something else because it'll become a bit too much

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

The Rage posted:

Just bought my first bottle of scotch tonight

Any tips on how best to enjoy scotch?

Taste it neat first to work out the weight and texture, then add water (enough just to reduce the burn) and repeat. Adding water softens the alcohol, kills the burn, and allows layers of aromas to be released (in the same way a landscape comes alive after a rain shower). Water changes the flow and texture of the drink, allowing it to glide across the tongue, not march across it wearing cleats.

If you like wine, different whiskies have different flavor profiles similar to wine. If you love sauvignon blanc or riesling, you may prefer floral and flagrant whiskies. The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are good examples. If aged chardonnay is your preference, try a whisky with more american oak vanilla butteriness, such as Glenmorangie. Try sherried malts such as Macallan or Glenfarclas if you like big reds. For smoky flavors, try Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin.

You could also make mixers like south americans, if your prefer. There really are no rules, only pedantic faggots insist that notion.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

The Rage posted:

Don't actually drink it, just take lots of photos of the bottle for the Internets

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

The Rage posted:

chug it then throw the bottle at a child

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010

Clitch posted:

Take your bad opinions on age statements, and get out.

Take him with you.

Wheere we gonna go?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Whisky is good, rum is better.

Chromis
Feb 4, 2004

Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad.
It's not cheap at about £55 (US$90) a bottle, but Ardbeg Uigeadail is a fantastic scotch. It's bottled at cask strength (54.2%) so take it with water.

Chromis
Feb 4, 2004

Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad.
My usual favourite is Dalwhinnie 15-year-old, excellent value at around £35 (US$56) a bottle.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Drinking this at the moment. 10 years old, and delicious.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Chromis posted:

It's not cheap at about £55 (US$90) a bottle, but Ardbeg Uigeadail is a fantastic scotch. It's bottled at cask strength (54.2%) so take it with water.

If it's so fantastic, why can't you drink it straight?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's what they water down to make normal scotch. You can drink it straight, but it's pretty intense.

Edit: For those who aren't familiar, Uigeadail is Ardbeg's cask strength bottling.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 30, 2014

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Bruce Kison posted:

If it's so fantastic, why can't you drink it straight?

this is explained literally 8 posts above yours

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Clitch posted:

Drinking this at the moment. 10 years old, and delicious.

at least you were honest enough to admit you drink this stuff and your previous post makes sense now

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

right now caol ila is my favorite, and by favorite i mean i'm poor and can only afford to own one bottle of scotch at any given time.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Lufiron posted:

this is explained literally 8 posts above yours

I dont read pretentious bullshit.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

extra stout posted:

:hurr: I think scotch casks have a magical 'tastes good' timer that goes off at 12 years

There are so many delicious 10 year old whiskies, not even getting into the young, peated Hebridians, that leave your stupid opinions dead in the water. I can't wait for the "no age statement" floodgates to open, and to see idiots like you in a blind panic, because picking scotches without handy numbers on the bottle is haaaaaaaard.

P.S. gently caress You.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Clitch posted:

There are so many delicious 10 year old whiskies

Glenmorangie most certainly towards the top of that list.

Two souvenirs I brought back on my last business trip to Edinburgh:

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 30, 2014

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

psyopmonkey posted:

Green label is nice too.

Bad news. I learned from my local whiskey store that green label is not produced any more. Prices went up from 40 € to 80 € per bottle already.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Bruce Kison posted:

I dont read pretentious bullshit.

it must be hard for you to navigate the internet, read books, newspapers, magazines and interact with people on a day to day basis then

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
chivas 12 and coke i guess

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chromis posted:

that's kinda pricey

it's less than $80 at my communistic gubmint monopoly liquor barn

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
I love scotch. scotchy scotch scotch.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

comes along bort posted:

that's kinda pricey

it's less than $80 at my communistic gubmint monopoly liquor barn

That's what Corryvreckan costs at my store. :getin:

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Just picked up a nice bottle of Glenmorangie. This is the poo poo that makes working all day seem worth it.

:420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
im drinking some Costco bourbon right now. It's surprisingly good.

• Locked thread