Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
How hard is it to find work and living abroad? I am thinking about moving and working abroad after I finish school so I want to know how insanely hard it is to do so. I live in Europe and I will only move and work within the EU as far as I'm concerned right now, and only in places where I either know the language or at least where I'm conversational in the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
What do you want to do in life? What was your degree in? Is it possible to do the job you'd like to do in your home country in the new country (certifications, etc.)?

As an EU citizen, moving to another EU country for work is easy. Going about finding work is another question. Are you currently living in the UK and thinking about moving to Portugal or Greece? If so, it might be difficult to find a job. Wanting to move to Germany? Then finding work should be a little easier.

We'll need more details than "I want to move to another country" to give you a decent response.

For me, I moved to Germany from the US. Spent six months learning the language and then started teaching English. During that time, I interned at a language school and they eventually hired me to work full-time doing administrative stuff. Looking back, it wasn't that complicated, but I feel I was also pretty lucky in some respects. I had a free place to stay and some money saved up so that even though it was over a year between moving and getting a job, I was able to weather the transition.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 14, 2014

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

Gold and a Pager posted:

We'll need more details than "I want to move to another country" to give you a decent response.

I should've been more specific; I live in Sweden and I'm thinking about moving to the UK (I speak fluent English) or to Germany or France (I'm conversational in both.

I'm currently studying media and communications at a secondary school (high school, I think) level but I'm willing to do pretty much any sort of job not requiring proper education.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I think you'll have a hard time finding work in Germany with no formal qualifications and only conversational German. I'm having a terrible time with a master's degree and a similar level of German, although I also need a work permit, which you wouldn't.

Germany has a ton of licensed professions, and some of the kids who go into those professions have 3+ years of experience before they turn 17. It'd be hard to compete with them. There are a lot of mini-jobs (450 euros/month) but those seems to be mostly taken by Hungarian, Polish or Romanian people. There's no minimum wage yet, so some of those jobs are for working 30-40 hours per week.

However, the German federal gov't has a deal where EU members can get up to 2 years of German classes for free, so if you do get here it's possible to get your German up to snuff pretty quickly.

• Locked thread