Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

T-Bone posted:

So I was looking through these teams again to run through the paces in EHM and I just have to lol really hard @ calling a team contender with an average team sv % of .898

You basically built a shittier Dallas Stars.

Greiss has faced about 1500 even strength shots in his career and has posted a .929. Taking into account the variation on the small sample size he's at least an average starter in the NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

tofes posted:

Greiss has faced about 1500 even strength shots in his career and has posted a .929. Taking into account the variation on the small sample size he's at least an average starter in the NHL.

There is absolutely no likelihood of that based on that comically small sample size and his average to below average AHL numbers when actually starting 40+ games.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thomas Greiss is the 11th to 20th best goalie in the world - tofes

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

In a sample size of this thread, tofes is the dumbest person in all of linear history.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

T-Bone posted:

There is absolutely no likelihood of that based on that comically small sample size and his average to below average AHL numbers when actually starting 40+ games.

Meh, you can think whatever you want.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

As far as I'm concerned, all of my fantasy teams win their respective championships every year.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

eXXon posted:

As far as I'm concerned, all of my fantasy teams win their respective championships every year.

I don't know how this is possible when mine are clearly doing the same.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

There isn't a great deal of correlation between AHL Sv% and NHL Sv%. Some players with great AHL numbers put up very poor NHL numbers (e.g. Mike Leighton or Yann Danis) and vice versa (e.g. Corey Crawford or Pekka Rinne). Basically an AHL superstar goaltender is the same as AHL superstar forward.

quote:

The relationship between the AHL performance and the NHL performance proved to be pretty much random, which largely mimics the relationship between year Save% in the NHL. Thus while we can conclude that achieving a good save percentage is more difficult in the NHL than the AHL, AHL single season results have little bearing on goaltender Save% in the NHL the following season.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2012/7/11/3147551/ahl-to-nhl-translations-save-percentage'

Not to say that Greiss is anything other than an alarmingly mediocre goaltender.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Hey I had something come up for work

I was in the process of updating my cheat sheet so I don't have my picks yet. I'm gonna pm some ideas over but if like 30 minutes or so has passed since I'm up I will probably miss.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It should be noted that this is last year's thread. We should probably leave.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

There isn't a great deal of correlation between AHL Sv% and NHL Sv%. Some players with great AHL numbers put up very poor NHL numbers (e.g. Mike Leighton or Yann Danis) and vice versa (e.g. Corey Crawford or Pekka Rinne). Basically an AHL superstar goaltender is the same as AHL superstar forward.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2012/7/11/3147551/ahl-to-nhl-translations-save-percentage'

Not to say that Greiss is anything other than an alarmingly mediocre goaltender.

An alarmingly mediocre goaltender is exactly what I'm saying he is.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

That link only seems to use one season's worth of AHL data (the previous one) which seems kind of stupid when a few paragraphs earlier they said you need at least 3 seasons worth to have a meaningful sample.

Greiss has nearly 3 full seasons of AHL sucking behind him, for what it's worth.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

It should be noted that this is last year's thread. We should probably leave.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Haha awesome, but Bobrovsky shouldn't be on my team. Schneider was my starter.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

That link only seems to use one season's worth of AHL data (the previous one) which seems kind of stupid when a few paragraphs earlier they said you need at least 3 seasons worth to have a meaningful sample.

Greiss has nearly 3 full seasons of AHL sucking behind him, for what it's worth.

I couldn't find the original article I read, but there is almost no correlation over a long period of time. You need thousands of shots at the NHL level to determine if a goaltender is NHL quality. Like forwards and defencemen, the longer a player played in the AHL there was generally less chance of them becoming a quality NHLer regardless of the stats they put up down there. It's not as pronounced as with forwards, but it exists. Basically saying "this goalie has great AHL stats therefore they will put up at least decent NHL numbers" is incorrect.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Haha awesome, but Bobrovsky shouldn't be on my team. Schneider was my starter.

Yeah I haven't finished doing the teams. I'll make a new thread when I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I'd just like to look back and say that my pick of Vinnie Trocheck in the 10th round was actually a great selection.

• Locked thread