Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's your favorite kind of hug?
Friendship Hug
Business Relationship Hug
Bro Hug
Goodbye Hug
Bear Hug
Affectionate Hug
View Results

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I still don't get what Tampa Bay sees in Nick Franklin, though. Do they think they can fix the guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I still don't get what Tampa Bay sees in Nick Franklin, though. Do they think they can fix the guy?

He's still just 23 and was considered a nice prospect recently. Once you dump Zobrist, you give Franklin the job at second base and hope he figures something out. It probably won't work, but it's a better idea than running Sean Rodriguez out there.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

regfairfield posted:

He's still just 23 and was considered a nice prospect recently. Once you dump Zobrist, you give Franklin the job at second base and hope he figures something out. It probably won't work, but it's a better idea than running Sean Rodriguez out there.

I don't really like the trade, but honestly Rays fans are not looking at the whole picture. First thing is less teams are able to absorb 20 million then you think. Many of the teams with a better package probably really didn't want to pay 20 million AND give up a few stud prospects. Pirates and Cardinals fall into this category. Some teams are in contention and have money but didn't have anything the rays wanted, Yankees and Angels for example.
Now we get to the obvious teams who wanted Price and had prospects, like the Dodgers and Mariners. We don't know what they were offering, but sure we can guess about it all day! Would Joc Pederson and 2 other random second tier prospects been enough? If Seattle had sent Walker with Franklin would that have been enough? Who the frack knows what they offered, but the Rays received a pitcher who is already in the majors and a prospect who 2 years ago was getting the same hype as the top 20 prospects today.
After seeing how good Odorizzi has been this year i would rather wait to see how this trade turns out.

Bottom line is it seems like if they struck earlier they could have done better, like the cubs. However right now i would not bet against the Rays.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 1, 2014

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

chilihead posted:

Who the frack knows what they offered, but the Rays received a pitcher who is already in the majors and a prospect who 2 years ago was getting the same hype as the top 20 prospects today.

That is just blatantly false. The only area Nick Franklin was receiving that hype from was the Seattle Mariners. He was a bottom top 100/fringe top 50.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Verlander coming out of the pen as a super-reliever would be so great I'd almost forgive them for being the loving Tigers.

It worked splendidly for San Francisco against Detroit. Timmy Jim was fantastic in 2012.

That said, Detroit is likely trading for a reliever and adding an outfielder.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Andy Dirks is coming back. You'll see! You'll all see!

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Alan Trammell posted:

His rehab in low A is starting tonight, I think :ohdear:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Scob posted:

i swear to god if the cards call up shane robinson and matheny puts his rear end out there instead of oscar im done with baseball

@MLBRosterMoves posted:

The @Cardinals recall OF Shane Robinson from Triple-A Memphis; option RHP Carlos Martinez to Memphis.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Why did they send down Martinez?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
To get him starts

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Alan Trammell posted:

I miss his neck so much.

I imagine they'll cobble CF together with Dirks, Rajai and Carrera the rest of the year. Man oh man is an OF of JD, Rajai and Torii gonna be "interesting" in the meantime, though.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

chilihead posted:

I don't really like the trade, but honestly Rays fans are not looking at the whole picture. First thing is less teams are able to absorb 20 million then you think. Many of the teams with a better package probably really didn't want to pay 20 million AND give up a few stud prospects. Pirates and Cardinals fall into this category. Some teams are in contention and have money but didn't have anything the rays wanted, Yankees and Angels for example.

Per Gammons, "most people thought the Pirates offer, which was all about prospects and minor leaguers, might have been greater in terms of talent". The Rays apparently wanted MLB-ready players instead of prospects. Which really reeks to me as this being not so much about thinking they need to rebuild as being forced to dump Price's 2015 salary.

It's good to see that the Pirates did make a competitive offer and were not themselves the ones cheaping out. Also that these leaks don't seem to be coming from the Pirates so they're not just We Tried.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

regfairfield posted:

I'm assuming they're thinking of replacing Escobar at SS eventually with the other prospect (Willy Adames)? Escobar has been getting lots of criticism lately for not stepping up his game, but I can't imagine an 18 yr old prospect being ready any time soon.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

:smith:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
#hugwatch 2014 : The wrongest predictions you can find.

Philly blockbuster could disrupt quiet deadline

The asking price for Lester is two Grade A prospects, according to executives involved with the Red Sox talks. Lester is invaluable, and proved it a year ago in the World Series, but having him for only two months and one pennant race won't bring nearly the haul Price could.

Indeed, the executives tell us Price could elicit three elite prospects.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"The Rays have no choice but to keep him and deal him for a lesser return this winter, the executives say, if they want to avoid a clubhouse mutiny."

Uh oh, we're gonna have a clubhouse mutiny in St.Pete!

That would be pretty cool actually.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

leica posted:

"The Rays have no choice but to keep him and deal him for a lesser return this winter, the executives say, if they want to avoid a clubhouse mutiny."

Uh oh, we're gonna have a clubhouse mutiny in St.Pete!

That would be pretty cool actually.

According to a book I read, the Mutiny on the Bounty involved someone yelling drat YOUR BLOOD, YOU HAVE STOLEN MY COCONUTS, which translates well into a baseball situation.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

leica posted:

I'm assuming they're thinking of replacing Escobar at SS eventually with the other prospect (Willy Adames)? Escobar has been getting lots of criticism lately for not stepping up his game, but I can't imagine an 18 yr old prospect being ready any time soon.

Adames is very far away (three years+) if he pans out at all, and Ben Badler (Baseball America's IFA guru) has had him pegged for moving off short for a while. The replacement for Escobar soon would be Hak-Ju Lee who used to be awesome defensively but it's been reported that he's not anymore after blowing out his knee (he's in AAA, which is a level I don't see very often so this isn't first hand testimony).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

According to a book I read, the Mutiny on the Bounty involved someone yelling drat YOUR BLOOD, YOU HAVE STOLEN MY COCONUTS, which translates well into a baseball situation.

This act of severity must have been cruelly felt by these poor Rays players, who, without bats or any kind of attendance, must have spent months and probably years in the construction of one of these extraordinary lovely trades.

Such was the inauspicious commencement of our acquaintance with the natives of Detroit. Their determined hostility and perseverance in an unequal combat could only have arisen from one of two motives--either from a bullpen of such ineptitude, as they had never before beheld, could only be come to their city to take their center fielder from them; or an irresistible temptation to endeavour, at all hazards, to possess themselves of so valuable a Price. Be that as it may, the dread inspired by the effects of the arm cannons, and perhaps a conviction of the truth of what had been explained to them, that the 'strangers offered only a smyly and prospects,' had the effect of allaying all optimism.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan Trammell posted:

I hope he does because if not the Tigers are probably going to take B.J. Upton off Atlanta's hands :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Boy I've been trying to figure out who Alan Trammell is for months. I thought it was Detroit_Dogg, but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm bummed I never got my player. I was so close.

• Locked thread