Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

forget this niggas name but he definitely had one

edit: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
T-Rex from Dinosaur Comics

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Good job so far, guys. Going to compile this list and sell the resulting database to Lexis Nexis.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I almost forgot about this, but in the Jurassic Park novel the T-Rex is nicknamed Rexy.

I had to wade through the loving Jurassic Park wiki to confirm this, so you can suffer along with me:

some rear end in a top hat with too much loving free time posted:

Eyesight Debate

Dr. Alan Grant states that the sight of Tyrannosaurus rex is based on movement, so if you don't move the animal won't see you. Alan Grant uses this knowledge to escape from the T. rex in the novel, and the first and third movies.

But, as stated (in the second novel) by Dr. Richard Levine, this is very unlikely because many animals (including humans) freeze or play dead when they are scared. If the Tyrannosaurus wasn't able to see non-moving creatures, it would miss most of its prey. Richard Levine explains the previous instances in which people escaped from the Tyrannosaurus rex by freezing with: "the only reason it would not eat you is if it was not hungry."

Supporting Dr. Alan Grant's theory is that the Tyrannosaurus may not be able to see you, so to counteract this, the T. rex gives a loud roar to scare its prey into revealing their position by running away. The Tyrannosaurus rex may then make the kill. Supporting Levine's theory, in Jurassic Park the T.rex, when it escapes from its paddock, eats Donald Gennaro which may have satisfied its hunger. This may be why, instead of the Tyrannosaurus eating Grant as well, it only gave a roar to scare him out of her territory. This way the threat to her territory was eliminated.

In the second novel, Michael Crichton takes the blame of the wrong theory, that Tyrannosaurus sight is based on movement, away from Dr. Alan Grant. It is stated that the paleontologist Dr. John Roxton wrote an article in which he stated that the brain of the Tyrannosaurus rex was very similar to that of frogs. Therefore, Dr. Roxton concluded that T. rexs sight was based on movement. Alan Grant and also the biologist George Baselton had no expertise in brain anatomy and accepted the conclusions of the article.

It is possible that since it was a predator with binocular vision, Tyrannosaurus had trouble seeing stationary prey in the dark, though this is a dubious theory. Dr.Grant suggested should be applied (the 'don't move' tactic) on Isla Sorna when they stumbled upon a Tyrannosaurus rex - in broad daylight. The T. rex killed Gennaro because he while he was still in one place, he was visibly shaking and moving his arms, therefore revealing his position to the T. rex. Some parts of Gennaro were found when Malcolm was discovered. In Jurassic Park III, the characters in the story run into a Tyrannosaurus devouring its prey (Parasaurolophus according to the special effects commentary). The T.rex then gives a roar scaring the party into running away. The Tyrannosaurus then chases the group. This ironically can support either side of the debate. The Tyrannosaurus rex may have not been able to see the group so it scared them into running so he could find them or he may have not been hungry from eating its prey, so it just wanted to scare the group away by roaring and chasing them away. Supporting this is the fact that in the Jurassic Park novel and film, the Tyrannosaurus chases a jeep away from her territory then ceases the pursuit despite the fact that she could have easily destroyed the jeep.

I'm eager to hear SA's opinion on this fascinating debate

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tyrannosaurus Reich

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
hey fella, are you gonna post a pic of theodore rex's converse or am i going to have to go find it myself?

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
jesus, do i have to do everything?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

The Human Crouton posted:

Genghis Rex Dinosaucers
Genghis Rex is the dictatorial leader of the evil Tyrannos, a team of evolved evil dinosaurs. As his vain personality and constant need to form very specific insults about each individual under his command does not inspire loyalty; he maintains control through sheer physical power, his violent temper, and just a twinge of honor to make his underlings believe that there may be some way to gain his respect one day.

Chomper: Land Before Time series
Chomper is a T-Rex that has been raised by herbivores since birth, causing him to have a friendlier disposition toward them than he normally would as a “Sharptooth”. He is bilingual, and is able to speak the language of both herbivores and carnivores.

Grimlock: Transformers
Grimlock is the adorable, horrifying, and nearly invincible leader of the Dinobots. Fearless and careless in battle, he tends to cause more casualties on both sides than the average Autobot commander. He is also very smart as was proven when he famously claimed: “Me Grimlock, smart!”

Roy “Danger” Hess: Dinosaurs: TV Series
Roy, or Uncle Roy is best friends with Earl Sinclair, and works at the WESAYSO Corporation as a tree pusher. He is a single dinosaur with huge crush on Monica DeVertebrae, an Apatosaurus. This is a normal thing in Roy’s world so don’t think he has some kind of extreme fetish or anything like that. He’s a really nice guy.

these here are my boys

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 17, 2014

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

This is Jane and is either a baby or a a different species of nanotyrannosaur. Hung out with Sue before she moved to Chicago. Currently lvies with a triceratops named Homer but he doesn't count

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Sharptooth: Land Before Time series
Sharptooth is a vengeful force of nature. Sharptooth is eternally chasing Littlefoot and Cera because Littlefoot accidentally blinded Sharptooth as Sharptooth was trying to eat him. He also has an indistinguishable hatred for Cera simply because she rammed into him when he was unconscious, even though she caused him no physical harm from doing so. He cares not about his own safety or health in his pursuit of anybody who he perceives has slighted him. Sharptooth even continued to fight and fatally wound Littlefoot’s mother instead of retreating even though an earthshake was happening right under their feet.

Wasn't this just their term for any meat eating dinosaur?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

dipple posted:

Wasn't this just their term for any meat eating dinosaur?

Wow, gently caress off?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Vengarr posted:

I almost forgot about this, but in the Jurassic Park novel the T-Rex is nicknamed Rexy.

I had to wade through the loving Jurassic Park wiki to confirm this, so you can suffer along with me:

I came to ask this question. Glad to see the research was already done for me.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Vengarr posted:

jurassic park has no scientific inaccuracies because all the dinosaurs are part frog and not real dinosaurs at all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

jurassic park has no scientific inaccuracies because all the dinosaurs are part frog and not real dinosaurs at all.

lol at the thought of that entire sentence

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Red Bones posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

olaf2022 posted:

Elvis, from this piece of poo poo

Is this the one where the dinosaurs are like toy sized and they run around and scare the dog because I remember something like that.

• Locked thread