Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Dunbar posted:

What is your Match of the G-1?

very close between suzuki/styles and honma/shibata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dunbar posted:

Melina vs. Alicia Fox

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Dunbar posted:

Scott D'Amore vs Jeff Jarrett's guitar case

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Dunbar posted:

Captain New Japan vs A Girl

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
when is New Japan Pro Wrestling Destruction or whatever

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

when is New Japan Pro Wrestling Destruction or whatever

sept 21

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

wth thats forever... is there gonna be any smaller shows in the interim?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Ouhh Duhh I dont know will there be smaller shows like every tour ever theyve ever done??

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I actually don't know and I'm sorry

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

They will probably take a month's break then start touring, I'd guess.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
the g1 made me forget how lovely the first half of most every new japan show is so it's gonna suck to go back to that

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=7&page=4

next show is september 5

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
So they're doing the 2 shows thing again for Destruction? I assumed they'd given up on that after New Beginning. I guess one show will be Tanahashi vs. Styles while the other is Okada or Nakamura vs. Fale?

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 10, 2014

rashreflection
Sep 19, 2007

So you're the hater, huh?

Flameingblack posted:

I'm so glad Something Awful user Tokyo Slutty Gal is here to star rate New Japan matches because that silly Dave Meltzer can't be trusted, what with all his years of journalism and possibly thousands of hours watching wrestling tapes.

Meltzer genuinely believes that pro wrestling can only be judged in the moment and you can't re-evaluate workers by going back and watching old footage, even when it's stuff that wasn't available in the past. He also tends to think that the opinions of fellow wrestlers trump all else.

I think that is downright silly, and it makes it hard for me to take him seriously on this stuff. I think of Meltzer the Reporter and Meltzer the Analyst as two separate people - have a lot of respect for the former, and not much for the latter. I could go into far more detail on myths that Meltzer has pushed over the years, but that would put this into tl;dr territory.

I mean poo poo, he barely even watches lucha anymore. How can you be the authority on work when you don't pay much attention to one of the top 3 pro wrestling markets in the world?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

rashreflection posted:

I mean poo poo, he barely even watches lucha anymore. How can you be the authority on work when you don't pay much attention to one of the top 3 pro wrestling markets in the world?

because most lucha sucks poo poo and isnt worth watching

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
So Jeff Jarrett Joins the Bullet Club vs. Seth Rollins Turns On The Shield, is there anything else even in contention for best pro wrestling angle of the year? I have to give the edge to Jarrett because the Bullet Club guitar was such a cool visual. I guess you could throw the Jones/Cormier press conference in there...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TSG stars are the anti-matter of Matlock Stars.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Kazuchika Okada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

How much do you value a hot finishing sequence? Everything after the Rainmaker counter into the armbar was just incredible. Everything before that was two guys taking turns to run through their staple offense with no drama or really any sense that an actual contest was taking place. That finishing sequence, though... ***1/4

Don't care to rate any of the random multi-man tags and I was cooking during the Jr. Title match so I didn't see all of it. What I did see looked awesome though and I would be shocked if it isn't my MOTN.

I value the whole match where two men who were clearly friends with some issues took it slow coming out, worked like two people who like each other should, things slowly break down further and further until Okada puts his foot on Nakamura's face to get out of the armbar. Nakamura gets pissed off and things go crazy from here.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Ishii. From your biggest fan, please take some time off and get well

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yuriy posted:

Though Dave does watch lucha, when CMLL I think we're streaming their weekly show online Dave was always tweeting about it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

I value the whole match where two men who were clearly friends with some issues took it slow coming out, worked like two people who like each other should, things slowly break down further and further until Okada puts his foot on Nakamura's face to get out of the armbar. Nakamura gets pissed off and things go crazy from here.

I like this way of looking at it but I don't know that I can see the early to mid match stuff as respectful competition. Even with two guys that like each other there has to be a sense of struggle and I felt that was completely lacking - I didn't see two guys trying to win a match, I saw two guys taking turns to do their typical early-to-mid match offense, essentially doing stuff just to fill up the 15-20 minutes before they got to the hot finishing stretch. It was all very rote, like a stock "I do my poo poo, you do your poo poo, we go home" house show match except with an amazing final 5-10 minutes. I will try watching it again with what you said in mind at some point though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 10, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yuriy posted:

I challenge you to go watch some Extreme Tiger deathmatches. Lucha and deathmatches go together like gravy and mashed potatoes

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

coconono posted:

I challenge you to go watch some Extreme Tiger deathmatches. Lucha and deathmatches go together like gravy and mashed potatoes

See also: La Parka's entire career.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

coconono posted:

tweet me a link to w/e and i will watch it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yuriy posted:

tweet me a link to w/e and i will watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhypyD4UapE

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I like this way of looking at it but I don't know that I can see the early to mid match stuff as respectful competition. Even with two guys that like each other there has to be a sense of struggle and I felt that was completely lacking - I didn't see two guys trying to win a match, I saw two guys taking turns to do their typical early-to-mid match offense, essentially doing stuff just to fill up the 15-20 minutes before they got to the hot finishing stretch. It was all very rote, like a stock "I do my poo poo, you do your poo poo, we go home" house show match except with an amazing final 5-10 minutes. I will try watching it again with what you said in mind at some point though.
I'll be your lonely warrior tonight.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

rashreflection posted:

Meltzer genuinely believes that pro wrestling can only be judged in the moment and you can't re-evaluate workers by going back and watching old footage, even when it's stuff that wasn't available in the past. He also tends to think that the opinions of fellow wrestlers trump all else.

I think that is downright silly, and it makes it hard for me to take him seriously on this stuff.

Hardly downright silly or even silly. Pro Wrestling is a public performance. Closer to stand up comedy than music or film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Just finished watching the final, god drat I loved Okada vs Nakamura. It built to a perfect finishing sequence, drat. Had me on the edge of my seat.

• Locked thread