Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToDave
Jul 18, 2010
I'm planning on traveling to Kazakhstan for 2 weeks (fly in and out of Almaty) in a little under a month. I know I as a US citizen I don't need a visa for there or Kyrgyzstan. What I don't know is much about what there is to see there in 14 days.

I am roughly planning on spending a couple days in Almaty, then taking a bus to Bishkek and doing most of my trip from there via a rental car. Obviously Kazakhstan is massive so I'm sure there is plenty to see there, but the immense distances between cities makes me think focusing on the more-compact Kyrgyzstan (and possibly less-expensive?) makes more sense.

Uzbekistan sounds very worthwhile, but I imagine the visa at this point in time is a bit unrealistic...

Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
It's a shithole. Don't go.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I've heard Kyrgyzstan is amazing, but Kazakhstan not so much. Kazakhstan has a much higher cost of living because of the oil wealth, and it's generally not as traveler-friendly. People say Kyrgyzstan is cheap, friendly and beautiful, though. Just be careful if you travel alone to remote villages if you're white where there might still be anti-Russian sentiment.

Make sure that you can read Cyrillic and know basic Russian phrases before going.

edit: I just saw you plan on renting a car. You have a fair amount of experience driving in both the developing world and in mountainous territory I'd assume, right?

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Read this: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/92/travel/anyone-been-kyrgyzstan-kazakstan-uzbekistan-1343694/index2.html
It's a thread on a poker forum where a dude wanted to visit all three countries and everybody was like, it's dangerous and miserable don't go. He went anyways and had a great time and wrote a lengthy trip report with pictures that made me envious.

ToDave
Jul 18, 2010
The driving thing I don't think will be a massive issue. Have enough experience in that sort of chaotic-but-logical developing world situation, though not as much in terms of mountain driving.

Vogler posted:

Read this: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/92/travel/anyone-been-kyrgyzstan-kazakstan-uzbekistan-1343694/index2.html
It's a thread on a poker forum where a dude wanted to visit all three countries and everybody was like, it's dangerous and miserable don't go. He went anyways and had a great time and wrote a lengthy trip report with pictures that made me envious.

This is very helpful. Looks like an awesome trip, and I'm only more convinced I should most of the 2 weeks in Kyrgyzstan. Just have to get one of those expat friends in Bishkek...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hit up the Altai mountains, they're pretty and remote and I've always wanted to see them in person. August would be the perfect time.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Be careful with the water. Don't know if it's unsafe overall, but my buddy traveled there for 2 weeks - got dysentery on Day 1 from brushing his teeth and spent the next 13 days in a bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A little different, but similar- I got giardia in Tajikistan.

Everyone was very friendly, and not trying to rip tourists off (perhaps just a lack of tourists?) We ate the same food (pilaf/osh) everyday. You'll have to barter for everything. When buying pirate cds of local pop music, check if the disc inside matches the case and/or actually plays. Unibrows are a symbol of beauty, so much that ladies paint them on with any dark pigment available.

Gas stations outside the capital were a 15-year-old sitting under a tree, funneling diesel out of an oil cooking oil bottle. Coffee was Nescafe. Coca Cola was from Afghanistan which made us lol.

• Locked thread