Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's actually just the limitations of the authors. The part in a story where a character unlocks their true potential is an easy shorthand for some kind of ersatz enlightenment.

Let's take Aquaman, for example. Or The Submariner - whichever one has the power to control water with his mind. I haven't read a single story involving either character, but this stuff writes itself:

Aquaman starts out doing basic stuff like knocking the baddies over with waves, but that becomes less and less effective as he encounters more powerful foes. Then, right near the end, when things look bleak, Aquaman realizes that water is everywhere. The entire world is covered in water and the human body is 90% water. He's using the sediment in the water to create massive limestone structures, using the individual atoms to set off hydrogen explosions, mind-controlling people or popping their skull like a grape.... Undoubtedly this is accompanied by a big splash page of Aquaman with his eyes aglow from the power.

The problem isn't so much this ridiculous videogame fantasy as the fact that the story is effectively over - but hack authors don't know what to do with such an extreme concept. Aquaman will remain a human guy living in an Earth just like today's Earth, and nothing will have changed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

That doesn't make any sense.

I concede that point.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually just the limitations of the authors. The part in a story where a character unlocks their true potential is an easy shorthand for some kind of ersatz enlightenment.

Let's take Aquaman, for example. Or The Submariner - whichever one has the power to control water with his mind. I haven't read a single story involving either character, but this stuff writes itself:

Aquaman starts out doing basic stuff like knocking the baddies over with waves, but that becomes less and less effective as he encounters more powerful foes. Then, right near the end, when things look bleak, Aquaman realizes that water is everywhere. The entire world is covered in water and the human body is 90% water. He's using the sediment in the water to create massive limestone structures, using the individual atoms to set off hydrogen explosions, mind-controlling people or popping their skull like a grape.... Undoubtedly this is accompanied by a big splash page of Aquaman with his eyes aglow from the power.

The problem isn't so much this ridiculous videogame fantasy as the fact that the story is effectively over - but hack authors don't know what to do with such an extreme concept. Aquaman will remain a human guy living in an Earth just like today's Earth, and nothing will have changed.

You literally just described Aquaman's wife, Mera. I'm not saying this to disregard your post, it's just a :goonsay: observation.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
God is the original comic book superhero. All those powers and he's just sat around after day 7.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MacheteZombie posted:

I bought tickets for BvS on opening weekend thinking, "surely my friends would like to go too". So I bought six, with 4 to give. Every friend I ask has responded with, "No thanks, but count me in for Suicide Squad!"

I can't stop laughing at the notion that people would prefer to watch a DC movie about their villains and not their heroes.

While I'm more hyped for Suicide Squad, seems insane to not want to see Superman beat the poo poo out of Ben Affleck.
I think I did sell some nerdy barista on the film by telling her Doomsday was in it though.
Nerds are weird. :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This is like when every comic book did a thing about 9/11 and the horrible tragedy it was, despite the fact that like 5 9/11s happen every week and twice that number are prevented in the comic book world.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

This is like when every comic book did a thing about 9/11 and the horrible tragedy it was, despite the fact that like 5 9/11s happen every week and twice that number are prevented in the comic book world.

I loved it when they had villains react to it with horror and disgust.

Like, Doctor Doom level villains. I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but I swear Doom was one of them. Guys who have committed genocides before.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Burkion posted:

I loved it when they had villains react to it with horror and disgust.

Like, Doctor Doom level villains. I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but I swear Doom was one of them. Guys who have committed genocides before.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Electromax posted:

God is the original comic book superhero. All those powers and he's just sat around after day 7.

Jesus? Water into wine? He just a mutie freak man. Lynch the dude.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy loving poo poo. I could have SWORN I remembered Doom crying because of it, but to also pair him up with Mister "I WILL WIPE OUT ALL NON MUTANT SCUM" and the loving Kingpin?

That's amazing and beautiful

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gatts posted:

Jesus? Water into wine? He just a mutie freak man. Lynch the dude.

...well that is basically what they did so

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I could have SWORN I remembered Doom crying because of it, but to also pair him up with Mister "I WILL WIPE OUT ALL NON MUTANT SCUM" and the loving Kingpin?

That's amazing and beautiful

More confusingly, Kingpin seems to be holding a lollipop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like the Kingpin actually would care deeply. He's a new yorker.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ImpAtom posted:

This is not remotely average. Wolverine's strength and speed are all over the place. He's frequently portrayed as having abnormally inhuman strength due to his reinforced adamantium bones and he's been portrayed as quick and skilled enough to literally cut bullets out of air with his claws, as well as bullshit like being a trained samurai and skilled warrior. Wolverine is exactly as strong and tough and fast as he needs to be in order to stand up to any opponent he wants to and his healing factor is exactly as strong as it needs to be for the drama of the story.

Didn't they also establish that Wolverine's sense of smell is so acute, that he can basically track down anyone in the world by scent?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

greatn posted:

I feel like the Kingpin actually would care deeply. He's a new yorker.

Of course he cared. Half of his downtonwn properties fell in value faster than the WTC. :v:

That issue was good,except for that one page. Doom is probably crying because smashing a plane against the Baxter building was one of the plans he threw in the garbage.

Edit: Oh, hey, Juggernaut is also there. Didn't he smash the Twin Towers during a Spidey/X-Force crossover? He's probably ruminating that it took just one measly plane per building to do what he couldn't with his magic strenght.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 1, 2016

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'd hate to use these as reference, but even a quick scan of versus forums (I used those as a reference for character abilities when playing around with ideas for drawing and writing comics, as they painstakingly collected canon character feats over time to argue them fighting each other every day) prove you completely wrong about this.

- Spider-man is far, far more often than not shown as almost exactly what he is in the movies. He's fast enough to dance around bullets AFTER they're shot, and strong enough to toss cars with a little effort, with really big outliers of holding up parts of buildings (similar to him holding up things in the movies). Villains like Green Goblin are shown as close to him, with extra smart prepping and planning to help them out, villains like Doc Ock are supposedly right at the level to give him trouble, most of the Sinister Six are giant idiots that should be more dangerous, but that he can outsmart, and villains like Carnage are above him to the point in which he needs help. These things are pretty consistently shown. He generally holds back against Kingpin-like characters that normally pose OTHER types of threats to him.
- Wolverine is shown as slightly less the skill/level of Captain America/Batman. Every blue moon, he lifts something stupid, but those are also huge outliers, especially given his billions of appearances. His healing factor was wanked at one time and retconned to "some stuff was going on in the afterlife to bring him back every time he was about to die," and there are some out of context scans of him being brought back from blood (because the blood happened to be on a special device). He shifts more than anyone, but he's shown at around the level of Captain America in the movies (or many of the Watchmen in the movies), where "peak humans" are actually superhuman and can dodge a bunch of people aiming at them. Wolverine has only shown the speed to react to bullets when shot around once in his billion appearances (as compared to someone like Spider-man who can jump around machine gun fire afterwards).
- In comparison, once Wally West realized that he was better than Barry Allen, he was ALWAYS way faster than light and constantly used ridiculous tricks. Then Barry came back and was just as good as Wally was because the author loved Silver Age characters. Then New 52 happened, and I stopped paying any attention outside of Grant Morrison's stuff.

There is no real difference between a singular issue of a comic where some writer decides he wants to Make Wolverine heal from being cut in half in one panel, and years of a character moving around with the world as frozen to him when he wants and using ridiculous tricks every issue and him slipping on a banana peel the next issue because some writer decides that he can't figure out a way to write banana man to beat him. It just seems like the latter is generally more of an issue for writers.

If you look at the movies, this is generally handled in various ways as well:

- Zack Snyder purposely limited Superman's powers in Man of Steel. His "superspeed" was launching himself at things like a cannon, his heat vision was visualize as something that was barely controllable, his hearing and sight mostly had to be contained as opposed to it being a "gift." That also matched many of the themes of the movie, so it worked. However, so many people were so caught into what Superman -should- be that they didn't even notice those changes. Look at all of those complaints about him not using his superspeed to save Jonathan.
- Nolan did similar with Batman. Anything "peak human" was accomplished with devices or armor, for the most part - people got mad because he wasn't running around like a Watchmen movie character.
- The Spider-man movies keep him pretty close to average comic appearances, using his most extreme stuff as very large, emotional, dramatic moments.
- The X-Men movies jettison people like Quicksilver from the plot so as not to cause too many problems (and give them personalities that work)
- The Marvel movies typically don't really do much to establish low or high ends for many of their characters; and instead basically make their powers match the plot

...of course, those movies deal with only a few writers/a singular producer/one creator, that maintains a singular vision for the story they're trying to tell.

When you jump to television, you have the same problem as the comics. More episodes, more writers, less creative control - you get characters, motivations, and plots that are all over the place. I use "powers" as an example because it's an obvious, easy to point to thing as an underlying issue with how things are created/written, but it really shows from top to bottom in comics and television. The Flash is a great example when it comes to consistency, or Heroes, an even better one - as much of the drama is based on characters never growing combined with the action based on them under-using and forgetting their powers.

The interesting thing to see is, if the movies continue and become more serial, and the creative vision gets spread out to different writers/directors/etc., if they will follow the same path as some of the more serial examples of the genre, or continue to try to maintain consistency and not fall on character stupidity. Of course, the Marvel movies already don't have much character consistency between the crossover and individual movies, so they probably will.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Something pretty much exactly the same as that happened in the comics except it was Aquaman's ability to control fish. At one point they were fighting some guy for some reason blah blah and Aquaman realised that all life on earth is pretty much evolved from fish, therefore there's a part of the human brain that is still sufficiently fishlike to be susceptible to his control, so he uses his power to kill the guy. He then goes "Whoa, that was pretty intense, I'm never ever going to do that again!"

Edit: according to Wikipedia he can also turn himself into "a living body of sentient water" and at one point embodied the entire ocean so he could settle the city of Atlantis back on the sea floor but he's only done that three times.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Darko posted:

Even the show has this issue, as Barry will run in the hundreds of Machs to change clothes off camera, but, when fighting someone, he's mysteriously Mach 1 and can be tripped. Those kinds of inconsistencies take a lot of the drama out of things.

Also that time where he couldn't outrun bees, about an episode and a half after learning how to run through walls :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
New thread

• Locked thread