Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Have been trying it out for a bit but haven't had a chance to try out multiplayer yet. I haven't found any bugs but the level where you have to use a bomb as a platform on world 2 stumped me, maybe you could add a hint or something.

Will report back later if I get time to try out multiplayer.

It's a great game by the way, very well made. I've already recommended it to some of my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Played up until about 3-7 then put the game down for a few days. Started back up and didn't have continue as an option had to start over. Only bug I've found so far.

How do I get the key in 1-3 or the bag of coins in 1-7? I feel like I'm missing some obvious mechanics.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I'm in to do some testing, have PMs!

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I came home from work and played up through 2-1. Did not encounter any problems or crashes. The game is responsive using my Afterglow Xbox 360 wired controller. I like the game so far and it reminds me of "The Lost Vikings," a game I remember fondly from my SNES days. Have not been able to try out the online component yet. Thank you for the key!

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Chalk is Cheap posted:

How do I get the key in 1-3 or the bag of coins in 1-7? I feel like I'm missing some obvious mechanics.

To get the key you need to jump up inside the trees using your ally and the crate then hop across to the flat bright green bottom edge of the leaves. Make sure you push the crate down on the other side so you can get back up. On 1-7 you can jump through the wall in the top right corner and drop down.

Seconding the save game missing since my last play through. Hopefully just a patch that broke save compatibility and not a bug.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Ran into a problem just now. On level 3-2, pushing a crate onto onto someone while they stand on a vanishing block is really hard to do if you're not perfectly synchronized with the other player. The slight lag means each of you will see the vanishing block spawn at different times, making it really awkward to get it pushed across, especially since you have to start the whole level over if you fail. I'm not sure if this is just an issue with the lag, but when I try to push the block (with what looks to me like almost enough time) I just kind of stutter and can't push it a second space.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
I will attempt to break poo poo if you send me a code via PM.

dragoat
Mar 21, 2012

YOU STOP THAT
We tried it a few more times and found that even if we timed it verbally with each other I would push it onto his head and he would immediately drop down as if the block disappeared. Then I got a "waiting for partner" text, and shortly after that "partner has quit" just got overlaid without the first disappearing as shown

spoilers because it shows the final result more or less

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The bonus level with the bouncy springs has some serious desync issues -- also, possibly related, the bombs at the top of the map sometimes go off by themselves. (Assuming that isn't just the result of the desync itself, I mean.)

edit: Actually we've been desyncing all night, it might just be one/both of our connections.

Could you describe a bit more about what you mean by a desync? Like if it happens with boxes being in the wrong position, existing for one person but not the other, the game not restarting/etc for one person?

nftyw posted:

Oof, I loaded up the game after not playing for awhile and it no longer had my old save. No problem, just sped through the levels until I reached the first stage where you have to cut the rope holding up some crates, I jumped on there, hit control and crashed to desktop. :ohdear:

That, I have never encountered - could you PM me the error.log? I've tried getting this to happen and haven't succeeded.

dragoat posted:

We tried it a few more times and found that even if we timed it verbally with each other I would push it onto his head and he would immediately drop down as if the block disappeared. Then I got a "waiting for partner" text, and shortly after that "partner has quit" just got overlaid without the first disappearing as shown

More or less because Crappy Netcode, which i'm working on this weekend again. Who needs a life anyway? :D

And yeah the save-being-deleted was due to me being a dumbass and playing the copy in the upload-to-steam folder, which caused it to create a save file, which Steam then uploaded and overwrote onto everyone elses and I'm really sorry about being such a moron. You can edit your save file to skip levels you've already beaten, or just run through the existing ones real fast and get good scores, idk.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Texmo posted:

Could you describe a bit more about what you mean by a desync? Like if it happens with boxes being in the wrong position, existing for one person but not the other, the game not restarting/etc for one person?

Most commonly it looks like the other player is walking on thin air a couple of tiles above the surface, while my character looks the same to them (and we each seem normal to ourselves.)

Once or twice we had objects exist for one person but not the other, but mostly it's been the above. One time I was bouncing on springs and kept going higher and higher on my coop partner's screen until I disappeared. To me it looked like I was bouncing normally.

Also, in the same session, we had cases where the game would report that the other player was dropped even though we were both still connected and moving around. I think that coincided with the worst of the desyncs but it's hard to be sure since I wasn't actually looking at both screens.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 26, 2014

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I'd like to try and break the game!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I haven't played that thing yet but I know I got the key and I will do it eventually, for real.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I'll give this a shot. As a compulsive stage-canvasser, I'll try my hardest to find something to report.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

I'd like to try this! I will totally tell you why it sucks. If it sucks.

edit: got it, thanks! Gonna give this a try.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 30, 2014

firt
May 17, 2006
Would love a copy, will definitely leave my review!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Hey doods, I've put up some updates that should have fixed a lot of the multiplayer desync and laggings, as well as making some other stuff better - everyone that has a copy (and is still checking this thread for whatever reason), could you please let me know if dodgy stuff is still happening and that i'm still a useless programmer? kthx

firt posted:

Would love a copy, will definitely leave my review!

gonna need an email or something there man

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Well, it's an hour before August 1st and I just noticed this. :ohdear: I'd love a key, thank you.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Oh poo poo it's almost August and I haven't broken enough things. Would love a key, thanks.

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
Hey! I hope I'm not too late, but I would love to review it!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Oh hey we pushed the release date back a week because more work than we anticipated so you are in luck. Should probably update that OP

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'd be keen to have a go as well, will do my best to break it and report back.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
I'll help ya test his bad boy out! PM away!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If you send me two codes my room are and I will promise to play, beat, break and promote your lovely game.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

If you send me two codes my room are and I will promise to play, beat, break and promote your lovely game.

ok sure but you don't have PMs so I'll need an email or something

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I presume by now the new patch is pushed out; we're not desyncing as much any more but now we frequently get "partner has quit" error messages as soon as we connect, even though neither player has.

themaninblack
Aug 14, 2007
So a baby seal walks into a club...
I'll give it a shot.

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh
I'd like to try it out.
E: i guess if you need an email cause I dont have PM its: surfinarbiter@gmail.com

SurfinArbiter fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 4, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Last chance to get in on the free poo poo before we put this live. You wouldn't want to have to pay for a game, would you?
edit: it's all over, thanks for playing! Go buy it or something :)

Texmo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 9, 2014

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I'll take a free game

email is mrsnips@hmamail.com

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I presume by now the new patch is pushed out; we're not desyncing as much any more but now we frequently get "partner has quit" error messages as soon as we connect, even though neither player has.

With the last few patches this has upgraded to "cannot get into a multiplayer game at all."

Regardless of who invites, it says the other person has accepted and then just sits there in the lobby instead of loading the level.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

With the last few patches this has upgraded to "cannot get into a multiplayer game at all."

Regardless of who invites, it says the other person has accepted and then just sits there in the lobby instead of loading the level.

That's really bizarre. I know this is probably a dumb question, but is one of you using steam's offline mode, or otherwise hasn't updated it? Because that would definitely cause said issue; the game negotiation has been improved, though. I want to investigate this more; is it okay if I email you about this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Texmo posted:

That's really bizarre. I know this is probably a dumb question, but is one of you using steam's offline mode, or otherwise hasn't updated it? Because that would definitely cause said issue; the game negotiation has been improved, though. I want to investigate this more; is it okay if I email you about this?

I know I'm not (I also double-checked my firewall and router; out of curiosity, what ports does Wyv and Keep use?), but I'll ask my friend just in case.

And yeah, feel free to email me -- do you still have my address from the key handout or do you need it again?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Just saw Wyv and Keep on the new releases list, best of luck to you buddy! It's a well made game that deserves to sell well.

Are you planning of adding that steam cards thing to this game?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I know I'm not (I also double-checked my firewall and router; out of curiosity, what ports does Wyv and Keep use?), but I'll ask my friend just in case.

And yeah, feel free to email me -- do you still have my address from the key handout or do you need it again?

Port 3261 - though I'm working on making the NAT punching better, so really you shouldn't have to open any ports if you can talk to the server in the first place.
And, yes I still have it in my outbox - I'll mail you.

Kamrat posted:

Just saw Wyv and Keep on the new releases list, best of luck to you buddy! It's a well made game that deserves to sell well.

Are you planning of adding that steam cards thing to this game?

Yup, we've got steam cards in the works - there's a Steam Workshop update planned which'll have a map editor for making and sharing levels online, and the cards will probably come along with that :)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I only played up to part way through the temple but I like it. It's like sokoban and escape goat.

I don't have any particular critical feedback. Good music, good sprites, good dialogue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played this a bit more as well - zero critical feedback here. It's a really fun game and I'll recommend it to people any time it comes up. You guys did a really great job with this.

Map editor sounds cool.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My friend and I have progressed a lot further into the game than we were before, and it's getting harder and harder to articulate what we need the other person to do -- would it be possible to implement some kind of mutually visible cursors or map pings?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My friend and I have progressed a lot further into the game than we were before, and it's getting harder and harder to articulate what we need the other person to do -- would it be possible to implement some kind of mutually visible cursors or map pings?

You've found the Flags which you can plant, right? The ones that aren't described anywhere and are usually only discovered by accident? Use the Action button to plant one. They stick to stuff, too, so you can jam one in a partner's head.
Also: Game has dismally flopped due to not getting any coverage at all, so might be a while before I feel like making that map editor :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Texmo posted:

You've found the Flags which you can plant, right? The ones that aren't described anywhere and are usually only discovered by accident? Use the Action button to plant one. They stick to stuff, too, so you can jam one in a partner's head.
Also: Game has dismally flopped due to not getting any coverage at all, so might be a while before I feel like making that map editor :(

You know, I actually did find those, we just weren't finding them that useful early on and forgot about them. :downs:

Also, that's too bad, it's a great game and it really doesn't deserve to go un-noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Texmo posted:

That sucks, man. I suppose it can be hard to get noticed, even if you have a game like this one that is very well-made in almost every way. I wrote a thumbs-up review for you on Steam, at least!

• Locked thread