Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Problem description: I have a mid-2011 iMac running OS X Mavericks 10.9.4. For a while now, well before I installed that OS update, my Mac takes a really long time to go to sleep (sometimes a full minute, sometimes even longer). I'll hear it go to sleep and the hard drive will wind down, and I'll go about my day. But then, I'll listen closely to my computer and I'll notice after a while it's still running. The display will be off but I'll hear the fan on and processor noises. This issue has been going on since I had OS X Mountain Lion, but it appears to have gotten worse with Mavericks.

Attempted fixes: I tried googling, and a few posts on Apple's forums mentioned similar issues, but none appeared to have solutions. I use the Adobe Creative Cloud and I thought maybe being logged in to that is what was making sleep so stubborn, so I'd quit that, and all other apps, but it was still behaving like this. I also verified my disk and repaired disk permissions, and it is still doing it. Activity Monitor did not appear to show anything abnormal. I've never opened the terminal, as I'm not very well-versed in it.

Recent changes: Aside from my update to OS X 10.9.4, no. I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard but those were never an issue before. As mentioned above, I use the Adobe Creative Cloud.

--

Operating system: MacOS X Mavericks 10.9.4, 64-bit. (But again, this has been going on since OS X 10.8.*)

System specs: iMac Mid 2011 27 inch, the model number is either MC813XX/A or MC814XX/A, I truly don't know mine for certain and that info was on Apple's website.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Reset the PRAM. I have an older Mac Pro that's doing the same thing, and I have to do this every few months.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

DOOMocrat posted:

Reset the PRAM. I have an older Mac Pro that's doing the same thing, and I have to do this every few months.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Just tried it. I put it to sleep. It did take six seconds to sleep but it had also recently booted so I guess that's normal (and WAY better than usual.)

I'll keep doing this as usual over the next day or two to follow up. Thank you!

• Locked thread