Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

am I the only one who's bewildered by why Michael Jackson was so ludicrously famous? Like the dude rode out nearly 4 decades of being the most recognizable human being on the planet for what amounts to a few pop songs.

I'm not saying he wasn't talented or whatever, I just always felt like the dude was overly-famous all the time, it's weird and that's my honest opinion thank you for allowing me to share, gbs.

you're opinion is terrible and dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

well that's rude, I was just sharing with you guys.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

am I the only one who's bewildered by why Michael Jackson was so ludicrously famous? Like the dude rode out nearly 4 decades of being the most recognizable human being on the planet for what amounts to a few pop songs.

I'm not saying he wasn't talented or whatever, I just always felt like the dude was overly-famous all the time, it's weird and that's my honest opinion thank you for allowing me to share, gbs.
The most talented pop singer/dancer, also a weirdo, is overly famous? Well I never.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

it's because he was groomed to be musical prodigy since birth, pushed to the limit by his maniacal father, and subsequently made masterworks of music and theatrics. which means michael jackson was a kind of 21th century mozart

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

lol no it does not mean that

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

michael jackson rules and thriller is still the best music video ever made 30+ years later

if you disagree you're a baka

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Mozart you dummy.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

the circumstances of their lives are too similar to dismiss

Dubsy
Jul 17, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

"SCIENCE WEEKLY: IRREFUTABLY, MICHAEL JACKSON WAS THE 21ST CENTURY MOZART"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Big Beef City posted:

He's just saying their lives had some things in common, which is true. I also don't know why you're surprised the dude was so famous really, people become famous for far less than a few good songs.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Alien Ant Farm was one of the worst bands of all time

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

He's just saying their lives had some things in common, which is true. I also don't know why you're surprised the dude was so famous really, people become famous for far less than a few good songs.

I'm not saying people don't become famous for trivial things. I'm saying that I don't understand why he, specifically, is hailed so exclusively. He sang some good songs and danced pretty good and I dunno this is a dumb argument I was just saying it's weird

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

For example I'm famous for my awesome posting but I don't expect Disney to build me a memorial

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Big Beef City posted:

For example I'm famous for my awesome posting but I don't expect Disney to build me a memorial

Well good, that will save them tens of dollars.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Feranon posted:

michael jackson rules and thriller is still the best music video ever made 30+ years later

if you disagree you're a baka

I disagree.

Smooth Criminal was better. But I ain't no baka :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Big Beef City posted:

"A few pop songs"? The entirety of Off the Wall and Thriller contain nothing but amazing tracks. That was his claim to fame, the dude made two back-to-back fantastic albums.

But I guess it's fair to argue that everything he did post-Thriller wasn't all that great. So yeah, he rode out his early success, but it wasn't just a few pop songs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

"A few pop songs"? The entirety of Off the Wall and Thriller contain nothing but amazing tracks. That was his claim to fame, the dude made two back-to-back fantastic albums.

But I guess it's fair to argue that everything he did post-Thriller wasn't all that great. So yeah, he rode out his early success, but it wasn't just a few pop songs.

So it totally was a few pop songs. I dunno what you're saying here.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I imagine all these words are coming from your avatar's face.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Big Beef City posted:

I'm not saying people don't become famous for trivial things. I'm saying that I don't understand why he, specifically, is hailed so exclusively. He sang some good songs and danced pretty good and I dunno this is a dumb argument I was just saying it's weird

The difference was MTV. It was new, influential, and he literally commanded the channel.

Also, he had a run of amazing songs.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

The difference was MTV. It was new, influential, and he literally commanded the channel.

initially mtv wouldn't even run his music because he was black, until the president of cbs denounced them for it. and even then mtv wouldn't put his music on their usual rotation until he became a hit

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Imagine if MTV refused to play black performers now.
It's hosed up if in fact that were true.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

butplug accident posted:

initially mtv wouldn't even run his music because he was black, until the president of cbs denounced them for it. and even then mtv wouldn't put his music on their usual rotation until he became a hit

Never heard this before. How early into MTV did this continue? Not long I imagine since Thriller dominated MTV, and it was released in 1982 and MTV started in 1981.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

Never heard this before. How early into MTV did this continue? Not long I imagine since Thriller dominated MTV, and it was released in 1982 and MTV started in 1981.

Before Thriller, Jackson struggled to receive coverage on MTV, allegedly because he was African American.[378] Pressure from CBS Records persuaded MTV to start showing "Billie Jean" and later "Beat It", leading to a lengthy partnership with Jackson, also helping other black music artists gain recognition.[379] MTV employees deny any racism in their coverage, or pressure to change their stance. MTV maintains that they played rock music, regardless of race.[380] The popularity of his videos on MTV helped to put the relatively young channel "on the map"; MTV's focus shifted in favor of pop and R&B.[379][381]

Before 1983, Michael Jackson also struggled to receive airtime on MTV.[37] To resolve the struggle and finally "break the color barrier," the president of CBS Records at the time, Walter Yetnikoff, denounced MTV in a strong, profane statement, threatening to take away MTV's ability to play any of the record label's music videos.[37][38] However, Les Garland, then acquisitions head, said he decided to air Jackson's "Billie Jean" video without pressure from CBS.[34] This was contradicted by CBS head of Business Affairs David Benjamin in Vanity Fair.[11]

According to The Austin Chronicle, Jackson's video for the song "Billie Jean" was "the video that broke the color barrier, even though the channel itself was responsible for erecting that barrier in the first place."[39] But change was not immediate. "Billie Jean" was not added to MTV's "medium rotation" playlist (two to three airings per day) until after it had already reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

"I'm pulling everything we have off the air... I'm not going to give you any more videos. And I'm going to go public and loving tell them about the fact you don't want to play music by a black guy." -- Walter Yetnikoff

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

butplug accident posted:

Before Thriller, Jackson struggled to receive coverage on MTV, allegedly because he was African American.[378] Pressure from CBS Records persuaded MTV to start showing "Billie Jean" and later "Beat It", leading to a lengthy partnership with Jackson, also helping other black music artists gain recognition.[379] MTV employees deny any racism in their coverage, or pressure to change their stance. MTV maintains that they played rock music, regardless of race.[380] The popularity of his videos on MTV helped to put the relatively young channel "on the map"; MTV's focus shifted in favor of pop and R&B.[379][381]

Before 1983, Michael Jackson also struggled to receive airtime on MTV.[37] To resolve the struggle and finally "break the color barrier," the president of CBS Records at the time, Walter Yetnikoff, denounced MTV in a strong, profane statement, threatening to take away MTV's ability to play any of the record label's music videos.[37][38] However, Les Garland, then acquisitions head, said he decided to air Jackson's "Billie Jean" video without pressure from CBS.[34] This was contradicted by CBS head of Business Affairs David Benjamin in Vanity Fair.[11]

According to The Austin Chronicle, Jackson's video for the song "Billie Jean" was "the video that broke the color barrier, even though the channel itself was responsible for erecting that barrier in the first place."[39] But change was not immediate. "Billie Jean" was not added to MTV's "medium rotation" playlist (two to three airings per day) until after it had already reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

"I'm pulling everything we have off the air... I'm not going to give you any more videos. And I'm going to go public and loving tell them about the fact you don't want to play music by a black guy." -- Walter Yetnikoff

Cool stuff. TIL that Michael Jackson broke MTV's racism.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

So it totally was a few pop songs. I dunno what you're saying here.

I think he's saying most pop singers manage to put out one or two hit songs in their whole careers, while Jackson was successful for decades and put out multiple albums full of hits.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
no one is claiming Michael Jackson molested them recently; he's dead

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neckbeard posted:

no one is claiming Michael Jackson molested them recently; he's dead

Give it a while, it takes a lot of time to construct a terrifying cyborg body for a frozen head.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Iggy Koopa posted:

yeah the only person who had actual child erotica found in their home i can think of is paul reubens and he seemed legitimately oblivious to the fact that some of his vintage erotica contained children, which is not to say he was being sincere, he was an actor after all

"I didn't know there were naked kids in there, officer. HAHAH"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
off the wall is really fuckin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

paranoid randroid posted:

off the wall is really fuckin good

This is the very first track on the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6t2n_Tbu3E

Now imagine that the entire album is that good. Because it is.

edit: And blah blah "taste is subjective", but if you don't like Off the Wall as a whole album then you have no taste.

• Locked thread