Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nakar posted:

So uh I guess this leaves kind of a huge power vacuum in both Heaven and Hell. That could be a problem.

Minwu takes over heaven, Charlie rules hell.

Problem solved.

I mean, the Gang is basically the embodiment of evil anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the Gang is basically the embodiment of evil anyway.
"The Gang Reigns In Hell" sounds like an actual Always Sunny episode title.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well that was interesting. Don't think I ever beat FFII so I never saw it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So that was a... thing? I'm glad the game taught the valuable lesson that you should always kill people that pissed you off, even if they say they're sorry.

At any rate, thanks for the LP! Really enjoyed it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Nakar posted:

So uh I guess this leaves kind of a huge power vacuum in both Heaven and Hell. That could be a problem.

Usually that is only the case when people replacing the last king pin could be even more destructive. This dude killed satan. While his "good" half killed god...I guess? Then went to earth killed half the world's population before being stopped. And then the "good" half tried to kill half the world's population again in heaven.

I'm pretty sure that is rock bottom as far as problems go.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The lesson of FF2 is that if you'll eventually solve all of the world's problems if you just kill enough people.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

The lesson of FF2 is that if you'll eventually solve all of the world's problems if you just kill enough people.

You can apply this to most video games, really. And most books. Movies. TV shows. Songs.

We're kind of a violent species.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Camel Pimp posted:

Technically that's true.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Technically that's true.

What about too many corpses everywhere?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not a problem if no one's around to be bothered.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Kill the corpses?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Eventually corpses decompose. Just be patient, man.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Eventually corpses decompose. Just be patient, man.

Not with all the micro-organisms dead they won't.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

I always took it as "he wasn't happy just dying and taking over Hell, he had to die and take over Heaven, too." :black101: Have to admit, people give Kefka a lot of credit for actually being a villain that wins, but The Emperor has cast-iron balls.

I'm just going to pretend that this is what really happened, and ignore the dumb story the game just tried to give us.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Camel Pimp posted:

Soul of Rebirth part 3

Hey, a Gold Hairpin. Josef finally gets a helmet.

Since he's bald, I'm assuming he just stabbed the hairpin into his head and called it good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nice to see FF stories making more sense than usual.

Thanks for the great runs, Camel Pimp! It was fun watching you run through the game with a variety of challenges.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Enjoyed the let's play, thanks for doing the GBA bonus dungeon too.

FF2 is certainly a strange yet intriguing game. It would be cool to try and figure out a way to make it more fun and balanced.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheFattestPat posted:

FF2 is certainly a strange yet intriguing game. It would be cool to try and figure out a way to make it more fun and balanced.

Honestly it seems like the main balance issues with the main game are things like Mini and Toad, and the weird evasion/number of attacks/Berserk/Haste stuff. Instant death spells are basically always impossible to balance; FF2 is just one of the very few games in which they're balanced in your favor. And Berserk/Haste should probably just apply a flat buff to your attack, except that then what's the point of leveling them?

Otherwise the main problem with FF2's balance, from what I've seen, is just that it's very opaque, so it's nigh-impossible to make informed decisions. Surprise! Wearing heavy armor nukes your evasion! Surprise! Drain attacks get a fixed-percentage damage bonus! Surprise! You get evasion by having evasion!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly it seems like the main balance issues with the main game are things like Mini and Toad, and the weird evasion/number of attacks/Berserk/Haste stuff. Instant death spells are basically always impossible to balance; FF2 is just one of the very few games in which they're balanced in your favor. And Berserk/Haste should probably just apply a flat buff to your attack, except that then what's the point of leveling them?

Otherwise the main problem with FF2's balance, from what I've seen, is just that it's very opaque, so it's nigh-impossible to make informed decisions. Surprise! Wearing heavy armor nukes your evasion! Surprise! Drain attacks get a fixed-percentage damage bonus! Surprise! You get evasion by having evasion!

I would honestly say it's more the latter paragraph than the former. There are brokenly powerful things in every Final Fantasy game; that's nothing unique to FF2. The difference is that everything about FF2's character mechanics are completely unclear and not well known.

The most obvious example of the terrible mechanics explanation, IMO, is the whole "select-cancel grinding" thing. If you don't abuse select-cancel, you'll quickly hit a plateau with your main weapon at, I dunno, 3-02 skill or whatever, where you can literally go 15 battles stuck at the exact same weapon skill value of 3-02. So it's widely assumed that you need to use select-cancel to get past that plateau and keep improving. I mean, hell, if you check the FAQs at GameFAQs on this, every single one explicitly explains the trick and references it sufficiently to imply that select-cancel is borderline necessary to win the game.

Really appreciate it Camel, great job with the LP. Are you planning on LP'ing another game at any point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
:golfclap: A good LP. Well done!

• Locked thread