Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

oh wait they were talking about the sequel. yeah that was a mediocre book. i'm dumb, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

did you even finish reading the book? he literally deserts at the end and says 'no gently caress you all i won't stand for this' goddamn. he literally escapes to sweden, no joke

yeah i was talking about the sequel, which sucks because it basically implies that yossarian never did escape to sweden, and instead ended up taking colonel korn's deal after all

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I remember watching the movie a long time ago pretty stoned. I remember watching the scene where Major Major was walking around his office and the picture in the background kept changing and I lost my poo poo. I really like that movie.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yo I read that book and it sucks. At the end some bitch tries to stab yossarian and he is all like "aw hell naw" and runs away

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

did someone say catch 22 was bad?

Who did? I'll fight em!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Keasbey Nights is a rad album.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Is there a romantic teen reboot movie version of this book for me to watch?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Is there a romantic teen reboot movie version of this book for me to watch?

Not yet, but Japan still exists. So, who knows?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

GBS catch 22: making fun of nerds on an internet forum makes you the nerd

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dirty Job posted:

GBS catch 22: making fun of nerds on an internet forum makes you the nerd

I wondered if/when someone would figure it out. Congrats.

How are Hellers other books? I know there are a few of them.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

quote:

Chapter 9: Major Major Major Major

Major Major had been born too early. His mother was very ill on her deathbed during his birth, and his father lied to her, saying he named the boy Caleb. Essentially, Major Major had been born into mediocrity, suffers in mediocrity, and then had mediocrity thrust upon him. He also has a strong resemblance to Henry Fonda.

His father, on the other hand, is a liar who hides Major Major's real name until Major Major enrolls in kindergarten. His mother dies as a consequence, and Major becomes a shy, awkward, submissive boy. Major performs well in school but is viewed with suspicion as a Communist and homosexual. The FBI sends five men and a Scotch terrier to spy on him and then place him in the army, where he is promoted to Major.

favourite bit always makes me giggle

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

They are bad. He hit gold with 22, but then the mine ran dry.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

quote:

The week after Lieutenant Scheisskopf followed Clevinger’s recommendation and let the men elect their own cadet officers, the squadron won the yellow pennant. Lieutenant Scheisskopf was so elated by his unexpected achievement that he gave his wife a sharp crack over the head with the pole when she tried to drag him into bed to celebrate by showing their contempt for the sexual mores of the lower middle classes in Western civilization. The next week the squadron won the red flag, and Lieutenant Scheisskopf was beside himself with rapture. And the week after that his squadron made history by winning the red pennant two weeks in a row! Now Lieutenant Scheisskopf had confidence enough in his powers to spring his big surprise. Lieutenant Scheisskopf had discovered in his extensive research that the hands of marchers, instead of swinging freely, as was then the popular fashion, ought never to be moved more than three inches from the center of the thigh, which meant, in effect, that they were scarcely to be swung at all.

Lieutenant Scheisskopf’s preparations were elaborate and clandestine. All the cadets in his squadron were sworn to secrecy and rehearsed in the dead of night on the auxiliary parade-ground. They marched in darkness that was pitch and bumped into each other blindly, but they did not panic, and they were learning to march without swinging their hands. Lieutenant Scheisskopf’s first thought had been to have a friend of his in the sheet metal shop sink pegs of nickel alloy into each man’s thighbones and link them to the wrists by strands of copper wire with exactly three inches of play, but there wasn’t time-there was never enough time-and good copper wire was hard to come by in wartime. He remembered also that the men, so hampered, would be unable to fall properly during the impressive fainting ceremony preceding the marching and that an inability to faint properly might affect the unit’s rating as a whole.

And all week long he chortled with repressed delight at the officers’ club. Speculation grew rampant among his closest friends.

“I wonder what that Shithead is up to,” Lieutenant Engle said.

Lieutenant Scheisskopf responded with a knowing smile to the queries of his colleagues. “You’ll find out Sunday,” he promised. “You’ll find out.”

Lieutenant Scheisskopf unveiled his epochal surprise that Sunday with all the aplomb of an experienced impresario. He said nothing while the other squadrons ambled past the reviewing stand crookedly in their customary manner. He gave no sign even when the first ranks of his own squadron hove into sight with their swingless marching and the first stricken gasps of alarm were hissing from his startled fellow officers. He held back even then until the bloated colonel with the big fat mustache whirled upon him savagely with a purpling face, and then he offered the explanation that made him immortal.

“Look, Colonel,” he announced. “No hands.”

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm John Voight.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Waltzing Along posted:

I made it most of the way through Good As Gold but couldn't finish it, high-school me thought it was too dull.

Catch-22 blew my mind and I wrote hella papers on it, although now I feel like I must have missed a lot. Gave my copy away to neighbors at bonnaroo this year; guess I'll buy it for kindle. Thanks for reminding me!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

its been a while since I read it, but, I don't think that's right.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Juche Box Hero posted:

I'm John Voight.

Hi John! I'm Charlie

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

its been a while since I read it, but, I don't think that's right.

I just c/p it from an online text source.

http://m.litfile.net/read/97689/95817-96935?page=33

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I'm glad Scheisskopf finally got his parade.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I'm glad Scheisskopf finally got his parade.

Hehehe.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

i reread catch 22 once a year and i always find parts i haven't paid attention to before

it's a very rereadable book

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Spoiler: over time it's revealed (during the last chapter in rome where MPs evicted some citizens claiming catch-22 and nothing else) that Catch 22 doesn't exist, it's the catch-all label for any actions ordered by authoritarians that need to sound plausible by having the pretense of some sort of textual backing. This textual backing's either so vague and sweeping as to be contradictory and insubstantial, or it cannot be shown, because what an authoritarian wants to do changes to fit their current situation.

in the real world you can see it with people claiming what some great authority figures would have said about it based on their own speculations (like "what would jesus/mohammed/the founding fathers have done in their lives" and basing their actions that are contradictory to what hose figures actually did) or invoking the name of a sweeping work like the constitution or a religious text that can be interpreted in opposite ways because of how broad it is

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 21, 2014

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

They are bad. He hit gold with 22, but then the mine ran dry.

Look at this goofball
Something Happened is a far superior story

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Good as Gold is a great read if you're into politics.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Havermeyer was a lead bombardier who never missed. Yossarian was a lead bombardier who had been demoted because he no longer gave a drat whether he missed or not. He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt, and his only mission each time he went up was to come down alive.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

The chapter where Aarfy rapes and murders the maid and then gets away with it was one of the most involving experiences I'll probably ever have reading a book imo

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

the movie and the book are both amazing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rodatose posted:

Spoiler: over time it's revealed (during the last chapter in rome where MPs evicted some citizens claiming catch-22 and nothing else) that Catch 22 doesn't exist, it's the catch-all label for any actions ordered by authoritarians that need to sound plausible by having the pretense of some sort of textual backing. This textual backing's either so vague and sweeping as to be contradictory and insubstantial, or it cannot be shown, because what an authoritarian wants to do changes to fit their current situation.

in the real world you can see it with people claiming what some great authority figures would have said about it based on their own speculations (like "what would jesus/mohammed/the founding fathers have done in their lives" and basing their actions that are contradictory to what hose figures actually did) or invoking the name of a sweeping work like the constitution or a religious text that can be interpreted in opposite ways because of how broad it is

catch-22 is an acquiescence to the meaninglessness and fundamental injustice of the universe, and the declaration that what is is what ought to be simply because there's nothing anyone can do. the point of the book is that this is morally abhorrent and that integrity of values is the only way to live a moral life in a fundamentally meaningless and unjust world. yossarian is about to give up and go home with his pension or whatever, but then at the end he says 'no gently caress you' and deserts anyways even though given the nightmarish hellscape world depicted in the book he will probably end up dead or in prison.

and yeah, the chapter the eternal city about the dream/nightmare-like rome is probably the most emotionally vivid thing i've ever read. the part where the guy is beating the crap out of his 8 year old son and there's a crowd of people just standing around watching and doing nothing is one heck of a scene. it's also an allusion to raskolnikov's dream in Crime and Punishment. FWIW Crime and Punishment is basically the exact same book as Catch 22 but in reverse. raskolnikov starts out thinking that the world is meaningless and that personal integrity is the only way out, and then comes to find the truth of our lord and savior jesus christ at the end.

as for authority yes in the sense that worldly authority is often arbitrary, but the book's not really about any particular war or the military itself, but more the philosophical injustice of existence and mortality itself. heller himself said that during his time in the army he had great, honest and respectable officers in all cases, and that the stuff about loyalty oaths had more to do with domestic politics in the 50s than anything else

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 22, 2014

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Hi John! I'm Charlie

HI. I traded the timeliness of this reply for a crate of lipstick but you'll find a share of syndicate stock where it should have been.

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH
I had a catch 22 once. I left my gym card in my locker and left the gym. I needed my card before I could get in, but I needed to get in before I could get my card.

This moment brought to you by Hung J

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Horse chestnuts.

But yeah I read that book a year ago, I didn't "get" all of it, but I got enough to like it I think.

Except the crab apples.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hungry Joe posted:

I had a catch 22 once. I left my gym card in my locker and left the gym. I needed my card before I could get in, but I needed to get in before I could get my card.

This moment brought to you by Hung J

now let me tell you about the time i locked my keys in my car

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

catch-22 is an acquiescence to the meaninglessness and fundamental injustice of the universe, and the declaration that what is is what ought to be simply because there's nothing anyone can do. the point of the book is that this is morally abhorrent and that integrity of values is the only way to live a moral life in a fundamentally meaningless and unjust world. yossarian is about to give up and go home with his pension or whatever, but then at the end he says 'no gently caress you' and deserts anyways even though given the nightmarish hellscape world depicted in the book he will probably end up dead or in prison.

and yeah, the chapter the eternal city about the dream/nightmare-like rome is probably the most emotionally vivid thing i've ever read. the part where the guy is beating the crap out of his 8 year old son and there's a crowd of people just standing around watching and doing nothing is one heck of a scene. it's also an allusion to raskolnikov's dream in Crime and Punishment. FWIW Crime and Punishment is basically the exact same book as Catch 22 but in reverse. raskolnikov starts out thinking that the world is meaningless and that personal integrity is the only way out, and then comes to find the truth of our lord and savior jesus christ at the end.

as for authority yes in the sense that worldly authority is often arbitrary, but the book's not really about any particular war or the military itself, but more the philosophical injustice of existence and mortality itself. heller himself said that during his time in the army he had great, honest and respectable officers in all cases, and that the stuff about loyalty oaths had more to do with domestic politics in the 50s than anything else

this post is dead on & is probably the best brief synopsis of the entire book (which rules)

also it's EXACTLY why Closing Time was so godawful terrible, although Heller needed the money for medical bills so I don't entirely fault him for writing it

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
great Heller books: Catch 22, Something Happened

fun Heller books: God Knows, Portrait of The Artist As An Old Man, Good as Gold

DNR Heller books: Closing Time, Picture This, Now and Then

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I SEE EVERYTHING TWICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU