Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FP 4/5

"Oh my god, it's a talking ant!" Chuck gasps. "So it isn't food for the Roc!" Maybe that eating contest was starting to mess with his dreams a bit. "Uh, hey, ant-y, you don't want to blow on that whistle or, uh...wait, ants don't have lungs! How would you blow on it?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Elodie doesn't think too hard about giant beetles and ants. This is a dream, after all.

"We're on your side!" She exclaims. "Totally registered and everything! We got the VIP treatment too! Didn't your captain tell you about us this morning?" She makes a fake gasp! "Or did you miss out on the memo? That's not very soldiery of you!"

She winks (and it almost looks like a small pink heart blinks in as she does) and smiles brightly! "Is it?"

Going with my absolute cuteness/rapport to talk my way out of this!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Alita is suddenly actually interested in the beetle. She walks over to it, looking for reins or a guide rope, basically anything to control it. She turns to look at the ant. "This is transport?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"It's clearly a pet, Alita. It might also be transport, though," says Adora questioningly. "What is going on in this area, if I may ask? We are but humble travelers."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Shadow☆Nova hops from foot to foot, clearly way too pumped to go out and kick things to stand around talking to weird bugs.

"Hey! What Conflict? I came here expecting to fight something and I'm getting pretty antsy."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

The ant slaps what would appear to be her forehead, as realization dawns on her face. "Oh my gosh! You must be the new mercenary unit I was supposed to debrief! You weren't supposed to show up until tomorrowwww" Her antennae wriggle in an...embarrassed fashion? "I wasn't done with my welcome speech, but follow me back to HQ, and I'll fill you in as we march." With a minor smack to the rump equivalent on the beetle to get it moving, the ant begins to walk towards the high grass. "I'm Licorice, by the way."
As she walks, Licorice begins to talk.

"As you know, this is Forest, the world we live on. Since time immemorial, Onyx and Ruby have been at war with each other for total control of the realm. It used to be that anyone not in either of the Families was just caught in the middle, but ever since the Treaty of 50th Leafchange, the usage of mercenary units has been allowed in the Conflict. And that's where you come in! Last Snowfall, we got some exciting new weaponry from a new manufacturer, and we're testing their efficacy in merc units before we commit to a higher production order. You may be the linchpin that turns the Conflict in favor of Queen Onyx! I'm so jealous! I'm stuck here in the 83rd Cavalry...but at least Gunther makes for some good company! Isn't that right boy? " Licorice starts scratching the beetle ' s chin. "Whoosagoodboy? You are!" She stops suddenly when she sees the group looking at her oddly. "Ahem! We should be getting close now, Fort Oak is right over this last ridge. Prepare yourselves, I know I was overwhlemed the first time I saw it..."

Before you lies a bustling swarm of insect activity around the roots of a gigantic oak tree. Everywhere lines of shiny black carapaces march to various destinations, and you can see the target practice ranges busting with activity as well. Occasionally a non-ant can be seen, like with the dragonflies taking off from the landing pads every so often, or the large beetles hauling supplies around. Licorice chimes in "Totally amazing right!? Let's hurry and talk to Charcoal, so you guys can get kitted out. I want to try and see the Sisters of Battle practicing their CQC maneuvers!"

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 21, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FP 4/5

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, now!" Chuck finds himself holding his hands up in what he hopes crosses species boundaries for "slow down!". "Hey, uh, Licorice, you might have to start at the beginning here. Like, I get wars and stuff, but...why are you guys at war? What started this? Is this a war between a colony of red ants and a colony of black ants or someth--hoooooooly--"

Chuck stares slack jawed at the absolutely massive oak tree turned natural fort. It's obviously fantastic and alien...and yet the beetles are like big 5 ton trucks and the dragonflies take off and land like loaded helicopters. It's like he'd come "home" to an alternate dimension where everything was like earth but with insects--in fact, he vaguely wonders if those ants watching the dragonflies take off might include an ant-Chuck in their number. After a few moments' blank staring, Licorice's words get his mind back into gear. "Wait, mercenaries? Gear? Licorice, wait!!" He turns in confusion and excitement to the rest of the humans. "If I wasn't standing here I'd swear I'm the one dreaming this! Wow!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FP: 4/5

Ash sneers as the party approaches the fort. Great. There were even more of the disgusting fuckers. This wasn't gonna be a pleasant dream. She despised bugs of all kinds, though she made sure not to make it too apparent on her face. "Right right, that's all well and fuckin' good, but I wanna get in and out of here as soon as possible. We need to find that Organplaque thing."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Oh gosh, how are you doing! Hi! Hello!" Elodie makes it a point to greet every black ant that passes her by.

"Is that a gun? Should ants have guns? Oh, hi!"

Even if it does it, like, a hundred times with the size of this colony. This place looks amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Sisters of Battle? CQC?" Adora looks perplexed. "Someone has some very weird hobbies."

• Locked thread