Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What's with all these threads where people complain about things that rarely or never happen, and assume that everyone is also experiencing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I love this phrase because usually it's dripping of passive-aggressiveness

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Fleegman posted:

The other day I had some guy say to me, "Good on you, mate". He did so without irony and he wasn't from overseas. I could tell right away that he was a pathetic poser. I just stared at him and said, "Are you taking a piss, you wanker?". He just walked away.

Ya hosed it ya nong. It's supposed to be taking the piss, so he probably was wondering why you asked if he was urinating. What a flamin' galah.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Squish posted:

Ya hosed it ya nong. It's supposed to be taking the piss, so he probably was wondering why you asked if he was urinating. What a flamin' galah.

Are you taking the piss? What does that even mean? A specific piss as opposed to a general piss? Jesus. How do you people even communicate with each other over there?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I just say whoopeeeeee

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Guy Fleegman posted:

Are you taking the piss? What does that even mean? A specific piss as opposed to a general piss? Jesus. How do you people even communicate with each other over there?

Taking the piss
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Taking the piss is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the piss out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[1] It is also not to be confused with "taking a piss", which refers to the act of urinating. Taking the Mickey (Mickey Bliss, Cockney rhyming slang) or taking the Michael is another term for making fun of someone. These terms are most widely used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia.

Contents [hide]
1 Usage
2 Origin
2.1 Alternative theory of origin
3 References
4 External links
Usage[edit]
The term sometimes refers to a form of mockery in which the mocker exaggerates the other person's characteristics; pretending to take on his or her attitudes, etc., in order to make them look funny. Or it may be used to refer to a ruse where a person is led to believe something is true that is not (usually a fairly unbelievable story) for the purpose of ridicule of the subject.

The phrase is in common usage throughout British society, employed by headline writers in broadsheet gazettes[2] and tabloids[3] as well as colloquially. It is also used in English speaking countries such as Australia.[4][5]

In colloquial usage, "taking the piss" is also used to refer to someone or something that makes a claim which is not in line with a recognised agreement e.g. an invoice that is double the quoted price with no explanation for the added charge could be said to "take the piss", or likewise if something consistently misses a deadline.

The term can also mean to take unfair advantage. For example, if someone has a food buffet and one guest clearly takes more than their expected share. It can also relate to an abuse of trust, such as "You can use my 'phone, but don't take the piss!"

Origin[edit]
"Take the piss" may be a reference to a related (and dated) idiomatic expression, piss-proud, which is a vulgar pun referring to the morning erections which happen when a man awakens at the end of a dream cycle (each about 90 minutes in length throughout the night) or may be caused by a full bladder pressing upon nerves that help effect erection. This could be considered a 'false' erection, as its origin is physiological not sexual, so in a metaphoric sense, then, someone who is "piss-proud" would suffer from false pride, and taking the piss out of them refers to deflating this false pride, through disparagement or mockery.[6][7] As knowledge of the expression's metaphoric origin became lost on users, "taking the piss out of" came to be synonymous with disparagement or mockery itself, with less regard to the pride of the subject.

"Take the mickey" may be an abbreviated form of the Cockney rhyming slang "take the Mickey Bliss",[8] a euphemism for "take the piss." It has also been suggested that "mickey" is a contraction of "micturition,"[6] in which case "take the micturition" would be a synonymous euphemism for "take the piss." The phrase has been noted since the 1930s.

Alternative theory of origin[edit]
One theory is that during the age of the canals in Britain, urine would be brought up the canals to the wool mills in Northern England (particularly to Yorkshire), as urine was used in the process of fixing dye to wool. This was particularly the case for the dyeing items blue with indigo or more traditionally with woad, before synthetic dyes were invented or made commercially available.[9] Being in the business of transporting urine was much less lucrative than transporting wine, so when the boatmen were questioned what they were carrying they would lie and say "I'm taking wine" and the response would be "No, you're taking the piss" to express disbelief.[10]

References[edit]
Jump up ^ Roberts, Chris (2006). Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind Rhyme. Thorndike Press. ISBN 0-7862-8517-6.
Jump up ^ Thorpe, Vanessa (2007-11-18). "Taking the Mickey out of Saatchi". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2010-05-24.
Jump up ^ "Are Jordan and Peter taking the Mickey?". Daily Mail (London). 2006-03-23.
Jump up ^ "Taking the Mickey". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2003-04-21.
Jump up ^ "To mitigate Gibbs outburst is simply taking the Mickey". The Age (Melbourne). 2007-01-17.
^ Jump up to: a b "The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear Words". BBC. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
Jump up ^ Quinion, Michael. "Take the piss". World Wide Words. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
Jump up ^ Martin, Gary. "Take the Mickey". The Phrase Finder. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
Jump up ^ "Taking the piss". Blog.dgwbirch.com. 2009-12-19. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
Jump up ^ "Dying Art". History.uk.com. 2009-02-01. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
External links[edit]
Look up take the piss in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Look up take the mickey in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Categories: English idiomsSatireEnglish-language slang
Navigation menu
Create accountLog inArticleTalkReadEditView history

Main page
Contents
Featured content
Current events
Random article
Donate to Wikipedia
Wikimedia Shop
Interaction
Help
About Wikipedia
Community portal
Recent changes
Contact page
Tools
What links here
Related changes
Upload file
Special pages
Permanent link
Page information
Wikidata item
Cite this page
Print/export
Create a book
Download as PDF
Printable version
Languages
Edit links
This page was last modified on 16 May 2014 at 00:19.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. WikipediaŽ is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
Privacy policyAbout WikipediaDisclaimersContact WikipediaDevelopersMobile viewWikimedia Foundation Powered by MediaWiki

hth

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

i'm liking the word 'piss-proud'

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
On the subject, people who say 'on accident' instead of 'by accident' are loving trash and I'm tired of living in this midwest hellhole where everyone thinks its okay.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

nerds that say 'anyways' gets my aspergers raging.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Guy Fleegman posted:

Is it Americans trying to sound more continental?

Continental? Here in AMERICA we say "faggy european."

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

cor blimey if this inna whopper ovva thread, guv

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW
Speaking of the mid-west (St.Louis), I still hear people say "Wal-Marts" and "Targets" as in, "Let's run to Wal-Marts to get a refund on this here dictionary.". I'm sure these hillbillies pluralize more words than that, but I seem to hear this a lot. Maybe I just need a higher caliber of friends.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
crikey!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The first time I ever saw that was in the Dysfunctional Family Circus, so that's all I think of now when I see or hear it.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Megadyptes posted:

nerds that say 'anyways' gets my aspergers raging.

i say anywho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

TVs Ian posted:

The first time I ever saw that was in the Dysfunctional Family Circus, so that's all I think of now when I see or hear it.

Food on you, Plate.

• Locked thread