Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

swovu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

My dvd of The Ring has one where it plays the cursed video, then goes back to the main menu and you hear a phone ringing.

poor substitute for having rear end in a top hat friends with cellphones in 2003, i feel

e. also i just realized how dated the central conceit behind The Ring is

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 21, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

paranoid randroid posted:

poor substitute for having rear end in a top hat friends with cellphones in 2003, i feel

e. also i just realized how dated the central conceit behind The Ring is

Oh no how ever will I copy this film and show it to someone else!

Oops I accidentally showed 2 million people. Well based on the comments below, its not great loss.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
EPIC CURSED VINE COMPILATION WWW DOT FAILWHALE DOT COM

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

psyman posted:

Physical media still has it's place as there's a difference between 1080p on a blu-ray and 1080p streaming via Netflix/Amazon etc, which I'm not sure many people actually realise. Especially if their exposure to HD has been limited to TV and streaming.

Blu-ray is 20gb+ versus about 5gb for HD streaming a film, so if you really care about the best possible picture/sound quality then blu-ray is still the way to go. Here's a comparison article: https://hdguru.com/blu-ray-vs-hdtv-streaming-services-a-quality-comparison-review/

people who care about this are the loving worst

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Memento had an elaborate series of hoops to jump through so you could watch the film in chronological order.

Also, I remember when studios actually made an effort with beautiful special-edition packaging containing lengthy essays and full-color fold-out maps to get people to buy (or re-buy) DVD's. Now all blu-rays come in the cheapest plastic case available with just the disc.

*sigh* Hollywood used to give me chocolate and flowers and poetry, but the honeymoon is over and now Netflix is my mistress and she is a mean mistreater.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Robo Reagan posted:

they're like CD hidden tracks but then once punk and rock and the other poo poo genres that hid tracks went ~mainstream~ they couldn't risk not making even more money so they'd just have a track at the end with [Hidden Track] in front of it lol
To be honest the hidden track after the last song thing is kinda lame anyway. Yeah let's make it so if you're playing an album on loop there's a 5-10 minute pause of dead silence after the last song and then a hidden song afterwards. And if you happened to like that track whenever you wanted to listen to it you had to start the song it was hidden with then skip forwards until it would start which is annoying.

Really the only format where Easter eggs that require interaction with the media itself make sense is video games.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dragonstoned posted:

who gives that much of a poo poo really?

oh noes! i didn't get the super duper HD version of it! doesn't matter if my eyes can't even see the loving difference between them I NEED THE HIGHEST DEF POSSIBLE WAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

it's annoying when stuff is all blocky and blurry. also I don't get why the hell they think anyone is gonna buy 4k tvs when most people don't even watch 1080p content in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It's all about marketing. They'll sell the 4k TVs, don't worry. Marketing is also responsible for us being stuck with 16:9 computer screens even though it's a terrible aspect ratio for computer screens.

• Locked thread