Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
My wife and I found this little guy and it looks like he got crushed by something just above his vent.

Full size image here http://imgur.com/nFWo9IL
He doesn't seem to be moving his tail anywhere past that spot so we believe his spine may be damaged.
he also has an injury to his side pictured here.

We had considered this the least of his injuries until tonight when we cleaned it out with Chlorhexidine
and put some triple antibiotic on. If you look at the full sized image you can see what looks like 2 of his ribs
sticking out http://i.imgur.com/mVuCSvL.jpg
I've sent emails to a couple people at the vet program at Cornell but being the weekend we don't expect much response.
My wife and I can't afford to take care of him or we would and we're just doing what we can for him until we can find a program
taker him in or at least put him down humanely.Hoping someone here at PI has some suggestions on anything else we can
do for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
As for putting it out of it's misery, I suggest a pair of curved garden nippers, lop off the head quick. It will continue to wiggle for a few seconds, up to a minute after death. So sorry, I know we want everything to be happy and everyone live in harmony, but that snake's looking pretty beat up. I dont know of any vet or wildlife rehab that's going to invest a lot of time in a snake, unless it was an endangered species.

You tried, and that's what counts.

edit: I am a dumb who has learned her lesson.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 26, 2014

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Suspect Bucket posted:

As for putting it out of it's misery, I suggest a pair of curved garden nippers, lop off the head quick.
Please do not decapitate a conscious reptile. Cervical dislocation or decapitation can be humane in some bird and mammal species, but reptile brains can keep working a disturbingly long time after being separated from their blood and oxygen supply. It's not humane unless they're anesthetized or otherwise knocked out. A veterinarian should be able to humanely euthanize a snake for you for free if you call around.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
Yea I won't be decapitating him anytime soon. I did get a response from the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at Cornell and I'll be giving them a call in the morning.
I'm not sure what if anything they can/will do but he's still fairly active and doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain so I'll give him every chance I can.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crooked Booty posted:

Cervical dislocation or decapitation can be humane in some bird and mammal species, but reptile brains can keep working a disturbingly long time after being separated from their blood and oxygen supply.

That's terrifying. Effing boa constrictor heads on the loose.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
The wildlife rehab center at Cornell http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/services/wildlife/ took him in if anyone is interested. Whether they can get him fixed up or
have to put him down I don't know but they did say they would call and let me know either way.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sadistic posted:

The wildlife rehab center at Cornell http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/services/wildlife/ took him in if anyone is interested. Whether they can get him fixed up or
have to put him down I don't know but they did say they would call and let me know either way.

Keep us posted!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

E: double post

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So what is the recommended euth for reptiles? I found a Black Racer nearly in half the other day, I must have gotten him with the mower :( He was just twitching a bit, and normally I would have decapitated, but I remembered what you said, so I pithed the skull and scrambled with my pocket knife. Poor guy. I love Black Racers, probably the most beneficial snake on the farm. He must have already been sick to not get out of the way of the mower, I see them getting out of the way from a pretty good distance. I was just mowing the rows too, it's pretty short there.

Then he was eaten by a cattle egret, so no waste.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I would pith too, if it was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004

Dantu posted:

Keep us posted!

Haven't heard anything yet which I take as a good sign.

• Locked thread