Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

In the 1st starwars Luke is a farm kid who goes on an adventure and learns he might me a SPACE WIZARD

Then he entirely fails to live up to the hype and turns out kinda weeny, then he does a couple p good sword fights I guess. Han was the star of the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
LOL @ OP's Doom House av

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

echronorian posted:

It's not really that insane. JarJar grows as a person, while nearly all the other characters persist in their ways and learn nothing. JarJar says in one scene that he was quite happy to be wandering through the jungle - "my day started pretty okay with a brisk morning munch" - but gradually realizes that "people are going to die," and decides to do something despite being scared, clumsy and so-on. He risks his life for these idiots, and they betray him.

That JarJar's positive traits are devalued is not the fault of the film, or the character, but of those who fail to recognize them.

Quigon calls him brainless, and Jar Jar responds "I speak!" Quigon then snaps back that "the ability to speak does not make you intelligent." And of course, Quigon is totally wrong. Of course being capable of speech means intelligence - it goes straight back to the Turing Test imagery in A New Hope. Fans caught up in the Jedi ideology take what Quigon says at face value, and have simply accepted that JarJar is objectively subhuman.

The focus on JarJar's speech is crucial to the character, down to the 'random' gag where his tongue is paralyzed. See also the gag where Quigon grabs his tongue to chastise his intolerable behaviour. Jar Jar's various alien tics make him the perfect target for racism.

There's a great dynamic between JarJar and Quigon where he treats him with utter contempt. Jar Jar, for his part, is skeptical of the force - literally calling it bullshit at one point. And he's aware of the racism against his people, blaming it on fear of the Gungans' Grand Army - not so much that their army can threaten the Republic, of course, but that it demonstrates their resistance to assimilation into the liberal multiculture.

Jar Jar might be naive, but he's not callously indifferent like the others. When he gets tasered by a cop for no reason, he shouts "how rude!" - and that's also his response to learning that slaves are implanted with remote-detonation explosives to prevent escape. Calling it 'rude' is an understatement, but nobody else even blinks an eye.

This, I claim, is ideology.

Hmm. Makes me think.

Maybe it's we, the Jar Jar haters, who are the true fools.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Lando Calrisian was a cool guy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

In the 1st starwars Luke is a farm kid who goes on an adventure and learns he might me a SPACE WIZARD

Then he entirely fails to live up to the hype and turns out kinda weeny, then he does a couple p good sword fights I guess. Han was the star of the show

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

buzzsaw.gif posted:

a 5'1" 95 pound coked-out Carrie Fisher having the strength to garrotte a 2-ton space slug that probably doesn't even have a windpipe?

It's now my headcanon that Leia was coming up on a small hill's worth of space coke and that's how she had the freakish strength to throttle a two-ton worm, ty

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McDowell posted:

TIE Fighter - best Star Wars experience

ReRelease it Disney!

i remember liking this game but i never finished it then it disappeared because i guess it's one of those things that's only in your life until you learn to take care of yourself and don't need it anymore

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair, luke was a space orphan. and space anything is a lot more powerful than the non space version

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
He isn't real nerd.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

i remember liking this game but i never finished it then it disappeared because i guess it's one of those things that's only in your life until you learn to take care of yourself and don't need it anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78l7v3DqkM

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

He isn't real nerd.
lets see some proof

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Harime Nui posted:

It's now my headcanon that Leia was coming up on a small hill's worth of space coke and that's how she had the freakish strength to throttle a two-ton worm, ty

It's alright, she definitely was bonorworthy, it just never came across in the films.

Of course I love cokesluts, so...there's that.

Edit: as much as I was totally into Star Wars, I never was into Carrie Fisher until I saw Blues Brothers a bunch of times. The late '70s - early '80s had me all into Erin Gray for Buck Rogers and Bess Motta for...well...just being loving hot.

Princess Leia was just an accoutrement to the story. Unwanted baggage. Passed off between the two male leads, and only granted as property to the one when it was revealed that she was the brother of the other. George Lucas was TERRIBLE at bringing out women as characters...If I was 17 sitting at that theater for ANH, it might have been a different story for me. But, my 7 year old self was all "god drat this bitch has just got to complain about everything...doesn't she see all this awesome poo poo blowing up all around her everywhere?" And then I grew up, and was like "so yeah...that was her entire planet and every person she ever met growing up that just got blown apart into spacedust. And she's like...16 or something. That's pretty harsh." BUT EVEN THEN, Leia was always just a hassle, and Carrie Fisher the person is way cooler than Princess loving Leia could ever be.

Wilma Deering, on the other hand...

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 23, 2014

naem
May 29, 2011

Funny, she doesn't look dru-rish

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp
OP got triggered by Skyler thread pretty hard lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Was that before or after the car accident that messed up his face? If before, that accident really did him a favor.

• Locked thread