Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

ok then, choo choo

Descending further, the tunnel widens out into a large, bell shaped cavern. At the far end (the bottom of the "bell" are a few short steps leading up to a door. The smell of death gets stronger, and the sound of crunching gets louder, but this time the source is not beneath your feet, but from a hunched figure gnawing at a large bone, hopefully of an animal. Gordon and Hardcastle recognize it as the same sort of beast that attacked them on the stairs, a ghoul, and it lifts its head at the smell of a fresh meal delivered right to it.

Now roll initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

"Oh, good," quips the gnome. "A new friend."

[20:29] <Morphball>: Ridley: initiative: 12 = 1d20(7)+5

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Gilaemes Ishuar

The elf draws his sword with a flourish. "Make your introductions quick then, he won't be here long."

Init
[22:58] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 8+11 = 19

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hardcastle

"Wha?" she says, looking up from another sandwich. "Whats going on?"

[00:05] <%WinsonPaine> .roll 1d20+3
[00:05] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 6 (1d20+3=3)
[00:05] <%WinsonPaine> Fuckadoo

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Not this rear end in a top hat again." It takes Gordon a moment to realise it's not the same ghoul. Blood loss is a hell of a drug.

[09:02] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 13 (1d20+2=11)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oh, thats everyone, isn't it

As Gordon or Hardcastle can tell you, these guys are fast, despite being dead! Except they didn't tell you that, and now there is a ghoul on top of you! As if it sensed the murderers of its kin, it leaps ahead, raking Gordon and rolling away in a low, defensive posture as it bounces on the balls of its rotten feet.

Gordy takes 20, and the Ghoul is Cloaked (see below).

Initiative
Ghoul: 23
Gilaemes: 19
Gordon: 13
Sinnika: 12
Hardcastle: 6

...and said I forgot that I said I was doing this, heres stats!

pre:
	Ghoul
	6th level wrecker [Undead]
	Initiative: +13
	Vulnerability: A SECRET
	Rake: +12 vs AC - 20 damage
		Natural even hit or miss: Cloaked until hit by an attacks that targets MD or misses with an odd attack roll.
	Bite: +12 vs AC - 8 damage, 10 ongoing poison damage
	Aura: Odd melee misses: bite as a free action.
	Dark Step: When cloaked, automatically succeed on disengage checks and gain +2 to all defenses vs close and ranged attacks.
	AC 20 PD 19 MD 15 HP 80

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Stepping forward, Hardcastle gets in the thing's face. "You want some of this? Come and get it, jabroni." She swings, and swings hard. This is the beast she has marked for death. It will know what it came for. She cracks it in the face with a hard blow; more willpower and weight of judgement than anything else.

Paladin Challenge on the thing; using my SMITE right off the bat because I am a creature of impulse:

[14:17] <%WinsonPaine> .roll 1d20
[14:17] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 19 (1d20=19)+4+3 = 26
[14:17] <%WinsonPaine> HA
[14:18] <%WinsonPaine> gently caress YOUR MONSTER

[14:19] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 14 (1d8+1d12+4=6, 4)

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 8, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar
HP: 40/40 | AC: 18 | PD: 17 | MD: 14 | Ki: 4/5

Gilaemes leaps into the fray after the dwarf, silvery sword flashing as he laughs. Unfortunately his overconfidence causes him to underestimate the ghoul's speed, so his thrust takes him well past it. He spins, trying to kick the creature, but his momentum is wrong, dealing only a glancing blow as he stumbles into its reach.

Got a 3 on my attack with Panther Spins Free, so spending 1 ki to bring it down to a natural 2 and reroll via two weapon fighting.
[17:18] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 3+7 = 10

And of course I get exactly the same result. :argh:
[17:21] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 3+7 = 10

I do get to deal 3 damage on a miss at least.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

To the external observer, Sinnika is standing back, focusing intently. As she sifts through realities, she sees infinite unfolding possibilities, and selects one where Hardcastle's blow landed significantly more impressively, then adds a little twist, just so, to the cosmos...

[22:58] <Ridley>: .roll 1d20+6 better yet here
[22:58] <Morphball>: Ridley: better yet here: 16 = 1d20(10)+6
[22:59] <Ridley>: hey Dagon does that hit MD
[22:59] <Ridley>: looks like yes
[22:59] <Ridley>: .roll 4d6 damage
[22:59] <Morphball>: Ridley: damage: 17 = 4d6(4,5,5,3)

Unless it has the bonus from cloaked, I guess. In which case, Sinnika is selecting a reality in which she is selecting a reality in which Hardcastle's blow lands better, but fails to select the reality in which Hardcastle's blow lands better because she's selecting her own. If that confuses YOU, think about how the poor GNOME feels.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Gilaemes is first to leap in, or is he? Something weird is going in with Hardcastle, who seems to be in one place, hitting the Ghoul, and at the same time in a different place, hitting the Ghoul even harder. Pretty confusing to everyone involved, except Sinnika.

Those things happen! The ghoul is not cloaked anymore (after Sinnika goes), but it is whenever Gordon goes, which he should.

Initiative
Ghoul: 23 66/80

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Ah, jeez, I'm getting too many holes in my chest," Gordon grumbles, slopping some of his ale over the bleeding gashes to wash away some of the blood. It didn't look so bad, but he was still annoyed. "This is my favourite chest, drat stupid walking corpse."

Since that brought me down to 18 hit points, I'm going to be sensible and spend a recovery so I don't immediately die the next time it hits me.

[07:07] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 15 (3d8+2=4, 1, 8)

I also start off with 2 command points, so if anyone wants to use 'em, feel free. For one command point, you can immediately roll a save (or a recovery) on your turn at no action cost. Or you can use one command point to move and attack in the same standard action.

pre:
HP: 33/45     Recoveries: 5/8 (3d8+2)  Init: +2
AC: 16        PD: 17                    MD: 15
Command: 2

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Hardcastle's purity* stands as a challenge to the ghoul, who is too enraged to bother with stealth and swift movements, and lunges at the dwarf's throat, leaving some deep scratches!

Hardcastle takes 20!

Initiative
Ghoul: 23 (66/80)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

"Nrgh," she says as she swings and misses.

[16:30] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 11 (1d20+4+3+1=3)

Everyone can have a +1 to hit tho

pre:

HP: 31/55         Recoveries: 6/8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3
AC: 22          PD: 16                  MD: 16

Bastion - Paladin’s Challenge
Domain: Leadership
Once per turn when you make a melee attack against an enemy, hit or miss, your allies gain a +1 attack bonus against that enemy until the start of your next turn.
Invocation of War: Increase the escalation die by 1. 

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

The gnome focuses still, sifting through the threads of fate for an opportune moment. No such moment appears with Hardcastle's strike--perhaps her other friends will be more promising.

Waiting for next initiative round to pull off whatever it is I'm going to pull off.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar
HP: 40/40 | AC: 19 | PD: 17 | MD: 14 | Ki: 4/5

Despite there being only one foe, the melee is as confused as any Gilaemes has been in. But the goal is clear enough - attack! Unfortunately he manages only another glancing strike as he leaps at the ghoul again.

Doubled my previous roll...
[22:30] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 6+9 = 15

It's a natural even miss at least so I deal 11 (half damage).
[22:35] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 17+5 = 22

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

The tankard swipes through empty air, Gordon swaying a little as he blinks rapidly, trying to focus. "Stay still, th' three of you. And stop swaying around so- damnit. I gotta get some new blood in me soon."

He plants the keg down in front of him, guarding himself with its bulk, and takes a swift and sneaky drink from the tankard.

Moving into melee with the ghoul and...

[19:07] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 12 (1d20+6=6)

Swing and a miss. Last statement re: command points still stands.

pre:
Command: 2

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

What must be a smile crosses the creature's face as it easily weaves through the swings of three attackers, taking only a little scratch when it seizes the moment to bite an outstretched dwarven arm and deliver whatever foul infection it carries. Fighting off that many of you is hard though, and with a distracting swipe, it slips under Gordon and out of the melee.

Hardcastle takes 10, 8 ongoing poison (save ends) from missing with an odd number. The ghoul misses Hardcastle, but is cloaked (free disengage, +2 defenses, until hit by an MD attack or it misses on an odd) again.

Initiative
Ghoul: 23 (55/80)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

"Nrgh," she says as she tries to get her poo poo together.

I eat one of FF's CP's for a save: [12:34] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 5 (1d20=5) [12:34] <%WinsonPaine> gently caress

Like Taylor Swift, I roll to Shake it Off: [12:36] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 21 (3d10+4=4, 6, 7)

Roll for my normal save: [12:35] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 13 (1d20=13)

Using INVOCATION OF WAR to increase the ED to +3

pre:

HP: 42/55         Recoveries: 6/8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3
AC: 22          PD: 16                  MD: 16

Bastion - Paladin’s Challenge
Domain: Leadership
Once per turn when you make a melee attack against an enemy, hit or miss, your allies gain a +1 attack bonus against that enemy until the start of your next turn.
Invocation of War: Increase the escalation die by 1. 

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar
HP: 40/40 | AC: 20 | PD: 17 | MD: 14 | Ki: 4/5

Gilaemes attacks with lightning quick slashes of his blade. The ghoul manages to elude a telling blow on the first pass, but the elf presses his assault and finally strikes true. "I have you now!"

Yet another crappy roll.
[17:15] <Krysmbot> Snorebash, 6+11 = 17

Again it's a natural even miss at least so I deal 13 (half damage).
[17:19] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 21+5 = 26

edit: Oh right, flurry!

That connects, finally, for 16 damage.
[17:22] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 14+11 = 25
[17:24] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 11+5 = 16

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 13, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

The ghoul was hard to see - for someone who was sober. And who wasn't suffering from minor blood loss. But by swinging at every shadowy ripple, every perceived motion in the dark, Gordon manages to land a lucky hit and smash his tankard right into... something, anyway.

[[09:38] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 25 (1d20+7=18)
[09:38] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 8 (1d8+3=5)
[09:38] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 3 (1d3=3)

Hah! Eight damage, and three more command points to replace the one that got spent. I'm rollin' good.

pre:
Command: 4

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Falling apart from the wounds that are clearly starting to get to it, the ghoul makes one last staggering attempt to tear Hardcastle apart, but just can't muster the strength anymore.

Ridley can retcon Sinnika's thing, otherwise gather more power or whatever and do something this turn.

Initiative
Ghoul: 23 (18/80)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I was sorta waiting to see if Gilaemes killed it first but ok, let's do this!

[21:50] <+skybot> FuegoBook: 13 (1d20+8=5)

gently caress.

Gordon

"C'mon, one of you guys... one of you guys jus' hit it." Gordon clears his throat aggressively and exhales deeply. "I'll just be... sitting down over here."

I haaate my rolls.

pre:
Command: 3

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar
HP: 40/40 | AC: 18 | PD: 17 | MD: 14 | Ki: 4/5

"By your leave, good sir!" Gilaemes steps in and slices the ghoul apart, parting head from neck and limbs from body.

Finally got a good roll! 13 damage.
[17:09] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 17+12 = 29
[17:10] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 8+5 = 13

And I connect will flurry for 17! That should be enough.
[17:10] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 13+12 = 25
[17:11] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 12+5 = 17

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

With a pair of deft slashes, Gilaemes separates the Ghoul into its component pieces. The room falls silent as a tomb as a few coins glitter in the darkness, mixed among the bones picked clean and discarded onto the floor. A few short steps lead up to a wooden door on the opposite wall, an odd piece of construction in this otherwise natural cave.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

"Everyone still standing? This is a harsh place," Hardcastle says with a braying laugh. "Let's see if anything useful is about," she says as she begins to search for treasure, coins, or clues. It was all good.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Its 100gp and I should have mentioned that in the last post.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Scooping up the coins for later use, Hardcastle throws a thumb at the door. "What do you make of that? Someone living down here, maybe? I know crims used to make holdout spots, deep in the mines."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Gordon gives a half-hearted shrug as he sits down on his keg and gulps down a full tankard of brew. No time for chit-chat, he had a lot of vital blood to replenish.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

Sinnika releases her grip on the threads of reality and sighs. "Well, let's hope that thing stays down."

In my defense I was waiting for people to go so I could do my thing, which is how Occultist works. And then I got lost.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaemes once more wipes down his sword, and considers keeping it drawn for a moment, since he's needed it so often today. In the end he returns it to its sheath - much more dramatic to draw it in the face of danger, after all.

"Criminals, perhaps. Or perhaps something worse! If we're lucky." He goes up to the door and checks it to see if its locked.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The door is unlocked, but being close to it, Gilaemes can hear a noise from the other side, like muffled grunting and scraping.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Not holding it against anyone or anything since my week sucked and I was unlikely to post, but hey, you guys should post.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Oh, yeah, sure, let's hope for something worse, five minutes after that," Gordon grumbles, downing another pint. Whether he was surly from the alcohol or the blood loss, it was a little hard to tell, but he seemed to be returning to his usual equilibrium. "Still, guess I signed on for this, so I'm game for anything."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

"Well then! Let us be about it!" And with that Gilaemes kicks the door open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The door swings hard inward at Gilaemes' kick, revealing a smaller cavern. It looks like someone has made this a cozy little home. It is illuminated by a lantern, and contains a cot, some provisions, a small table with candles and an open book, and a man on the floor, bound and gagged. All the comforts you are used to in the civilized world.

The man looks up at you and grunts and wriggles. "MMFH! Mem gre ngh mf mmrm!"

Sorry about delays again, work sucks

• Locked thread