Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
Problem description: I bought a second-hand Sony VAIO All-in-one PC. The monitor's LEDs are cranked up to like a billion loving lumens and it actually hurts to look at. There are no hardware buttons to reduce brightness and the ONLY method offered by Sony is to use Fn+F5. But this second hand machine was sold without a keyboard and how many 3rd party keyboards have loving Fn keys?

Attempted fixes: Sony support is a joke. Also, windows on-screen keyboard has an Fn key, but it doesn't work to change brightness.

Recent changes: N/A

--

Operating system: Win7 64

System specs: Sony VAIO VPCL214FX

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Here's the user manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I looked up key remapping software, but unfortunately Fn combinations are hardware-level and can't be remapped in software. Double unfortunately, I think this means that even third-party keyboards with Fn keys are going to have the wrong Fn mappings (like, there's no guarantee that Fn-F5 from a Lenovo or Apple keyboard will send the same keypress as Fn-F5 on a Sony keyboard).

So you need a Sony keyboard. At least long enough to use a key remapper to see if it can capture the Fn-F5 combination (it may not be able to) so you can set it to a different, more sane keystroke to do the same thing.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
If you have the right drivers installed, Windows should put a brightness slider at the bottom of your Power Options screen

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
Well, I found a solution, but first, gently caress Sony for designing something this stupid. So as I said, the on-screen menu does not provide any picture or brightness adjustment while in PC mode. But it does have HDMI input, and while in monitor mode suddenly on-screen controls appear! Since the computer also has HDMI output, a $6 patch cable later and...

Seriously a person shouldn't have to jump through that many hoops for something so simple.

• Locked thread