Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
did you legit not know that jumping when surprised by a loud noise wasn't a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

did you legit not know that jumping when surprised by a loud noise wasn't a thing?

Naw I knew. But that poo poo gets me like 90% of the time.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i watched a bunch of bad horror movies in a row once and now im immune to jump scares. its like being the lamest x-man ever.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the best bit is how predictable jump scares are like ooh the protag has his back turned and they're keeping him in focus and WHAT WA-no nevermind it was just him scared by a shadow and OH MY GOD JUMP SCARE

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
I get angry during the portion where there is obviously going to be a jump scare and they're milking the moment and I'm having to prep myself and wait for the natural adrenaline rush that comes with a LOUD NOISE VIOLENT IMAGE appearing in front of me, waiting in the theater, waiting, waiting, creaking floorboards, turning the corner in a dark hallway, waiting, going into a child's room where there's a flickering light, waiting, come on you mother fuckers just do it alreaLOUD NOISE VIOLENT IMAGE

naem
May 29, 2011

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

same

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure I hosed one of those

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
even though she ate the people i still would have tried to just go with it rather then run away. those guys were dicks, she's a supernatural creature, and she LIKES you.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i disagree op I gave that poo poo 9/10 om imdb

was p good imho

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah its pretty poo poo tbh

Worst movie was that one thats a normal haunted movie til the kid hss some special powers or some poo poo, and goes into a dream place. There's an old woman with a gas mask doing a seance and poo poo to make him wake up. Insidious I think it was?

insidious was pretty cool in my humble opinion!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i also liked this movie a lot

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

jump scares are generally pretty lazy though. shock is not the same as fear

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

When I saw the movie in the theater there was this kid named Jake right behind me that kept doing that snorting thing where you suck the snot back up into your nose and he did it the whole movie. I knew his name was Jake because every once in a while his mom would say, "Jake, shh!" but it didn't stop him from doing it. THanks thats my time

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Isn't Sinister the one where Ethan Hawke finds murders on some old home movies & the movie starts off pretty cool & spooky & the home movies are well done but after about 40 minutes you literally see a ghoul in a pool & then Vincent D'Onofrio shows up on Skype & is like "Yup, that's a kid eating ghoul, here's a bunch of lore" and then they are like let's get the gently caress out & then surprise ending? Because I remember that movie flying off the rails way earlier than it should have. Or am I thinking of a different movie?

e:Yup

Sinister had some genuinely frightening scenes. The Conjuring did not.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kaytwo posted:

Sinister had some genuinely frightening scenes. The Conjuring did not.

Sinister was a well put together horror flick for like 85% of the movie, but the ending completely ruined it for me. Would have been way scarier if they had kept it from going explicitly supernatural, but that slenderman/walk into the video bullshit was just dumb. Make it an actual serial killer with some maybe-supernatural abilities and it retains its semi-real feeling.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i like how at the end after the demon is driven out of the mother the whole family dog piles on her and laughs and hugs her like nothing has happened when like five minutes early she was trying to kill her children

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Thing about horror movies is that it takes the stupid ones to make a lot of money so a few good ones will get funded and made in their wake. This has always been the case with horror movies.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
cary movires are too scary for me. i camt watch them witjhout going peepee in my psants lol!!!!! too scary!! its serene nature documentaries for me ONLIE

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Wasn't this movie just another amityville horror that got hyped for some reason I can't comprehend?

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

ilikedirt posted:

cary movires are too scary for me. i camt watch them witjhout going peepee in my psants lol!!!!! too scary!! its serene nature documentaries for me ONLIE

This is pretty hosed up if you are being real...

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games
this movie takes the salem witch trials and pretends the people were actual witches who deserved to be murdered before they destroyed wholesome american families. it's p cool.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cis white male posted:

even though she ate the people i still would have tried to just go with it rather then run away. those guys were dicks, she's a supernatural creature, and she LIKES you.
plus she was kinda hot. plus protection, you don't usually get that with a woman.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Best horror movie is Jacobs Ladder. Note how there is a link between the number of jumpscares and quality of film

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Borneo Jimmy posted:

I can't believe how much this crap was hyped. A whole bunch of a recycled horror tropes and a scene where a character says with a straight face "that knocking on doors is meant as an insult to the trinity". How much money did they bribe the MPAA for an R rating "Because it's so SCARY"

nah, pretty accurate portrayal of evil spirit haunting

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Wasn't this movie just another amityville horror that got hyped for some reason I can't comprehend?

Its actually a prequel to Amityville horror

No joke, the movie actually ends with one protagonist saying to the other "HEY, THERE IS THIS HOUSE IN AMITYVILLE THAT SEEMS PRETTY HAUNTED LETS GO CHECK IT OUT"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Sinister was a well put together horror flick for like 85% of the movie, but the ending completely ruined it for me. Would have been way scarier if they had kept it from going explicitly supernatural, but that slenderman/walk into the video bullshit was just dumb. Make it an actual serial killer with some maybe-supernatural abilities and it retains its semi-real feeling.

Whenever a movie goes to the trouble of playing the is this real or is this magic card and then drops it halfway through for straight up magic & an exposition dump I get annoyed because the laziness is so transparent.

Silent Hill Revelation had a Pop Tart jump scare. It was the best jump scare.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

dialectics posted:

this movie takes the salem witch trials and pretends the people were actual witches who deserved to be murdered before they destroyed wholesome american families. it's p cool.

This can also be done horrendously...it describes "Lords of Salem" pretty well.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
Was it this one or Insidious where they suddenly go into demon dreamworld and literally punch a ghost in the face? And there's a scene where the guy is talking to a possessed man and a surveillance crew is listening in a van outside and doesn't come even when he's obviously in danger, then look at each other and do a comedy-style Home Alone Kevin scream? I saw those two as a double feature and they were p. much the same thing anyways.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

the best part of the conjuring was the farting ghost laying stinkers in those girls bedroom

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
the thing is the best horror film, the 80s one not the new sucky thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Jump scares have been around for decades (For example the bus scene from the original Cat People) But have they always been used this much as a crutch in films?

• Locked thread