Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smushroomed
May 24, 2009
Problem description:
I have this odd problem, in which my FPS in games will drop/lag until AFTER I restart the computer. This only happens from a cold boot

Using Wildstar 64-bit. With no other programs open, I use alt+f1 to show fps, which shows anywhere from 10-50 fps, I immediately restart and repeat the process, which then shows fps at >110.

cold boot -> laggy fps -> restart -> good fps, every single time.

Also

Occasionally from a cold boot, after the BIOS splash screen, there won't be any display on my monitor and it will cycle through inputs "DVI -> HDMI -> VGA" then eventually to its idle setting, I have to push the soft reset button on my tower to restart and show a display

Could these two issues be related?

Attempted fixes: Reformatted SSD, new 8.1 install, everything up to date. Latest (non-beta) nvidia drivers

Recent changes: New mobo - asus z97, new proc - i5 4670k - All software/drivers up to date.

--

Operating system: win 8.1 64-bit.

System specs:
i5 4670k
asus z97
gtx 670 2gb (purchased may 2012)
8gb ram
750w psu
Nothing overclocked.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, my google-fu only suggests looking into cpu/gpu temps after the comp has been on for a period of time, but not after a cold boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have the latest motherboard and VGA BIOS installed?

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
Yes the mobo and vga are up to date

I tried to set pci-e 3.0 to 2.0 as a work around and this also doesn't work.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's weird, I just built a nearly identical machine and do not have this problem, but I also updated to the latest VGA BIOS for UEFI compatibility immediately after installing the videocard, before any performance testing.

• Locked thread