Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I went ahead and bought the game after reading the first update and it's pretty cool. I had trouble with the first boss (playing on hard) because I didn't understand that defense also reduces magic damage, and now I'm wondering whether I screwed myself by picking a team that doesn't shred defense all that well (Vampire, Abomination, Shadow). Am I in a bad spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009
Skeleton

This looks interesting

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Heavy neutrino posted:

I went ahead and bought the game after reading the first update and it's pretty cool. I had trouble with the first boss (playing on hard) because I didn't understand that defense also reduces magic damage, and now I'm wondering whether I screwed myself by picking a team that doesn't shred defense all that well (Vampire, Abomination, Shadow). Am I in a bad spot?
This game's mechanics are nebulous at best, but as far as I know defense has nothing to do with magic. Magic does less damage than physical attacks, but its main sell is that it pierces defense; attacks are just infuriatingly random in damage, especially early. I've had the shadow open a fight against ~7 armored opponents with 150+ damage to all of them, and do the same thing next fight and do 22.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This game's mechanics are nebulous at best, but as far as I know defense has nothing to do with magic. Magic does less damage than physical attacks, but its main sell is that it pierces defense; attacks are just infuriatingly random in damage, especially early. I've had the shadow open a fight against ~7 armored opponents with 150+ damage to all of them, and do the same thing next fight and do 22.

Defense does count against magic damage (maybe not DoT?), it just counts for less.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
This game looks pretty cool.

Abomination

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Goblin. :colbert: Have him ride on the Minotaur's shoulders, call them Master Blaster.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Defense does count against magic damage (maybe not DoT?), it just counts for less.

Indeed it does. Magic damage is reduced by a certain percent depending on the target's current defense. In fact, if your opponent's defense is high enough (and your magic is low enough), you will do zero damage with a magic attack. Add the fact that magic attacks do nothing to defense, and magic parties can have a rough time. DoT's are the exception but ONLY for the DoT itself (and not the initial damage, if any).

I tried a magic party and decided I hated it. DoT's just don't kill fast enough.

On a related note (since we're talking about defense), I really dislike the minotaur. Despite having a high hp, he's a total wet noodle. Seems defense is what really matters when taking hits.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 8, 2014

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Sorry, the Minotaur owns and you'll see why soon enough :colbert:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bellmaker posted:

Sorry, the Minotaur owns and you'll see why soon enough :colbert:

I'm well aware what the minotaur can do....I just don't like the fact that he seems kinda wobbly for supposedly bulky character.

Also, I swear this game has a bias against axes.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 8, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How does grinding work in this game? Can you just fight endlessly or do you stop getting XP after a few levels up?

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

mauman posted:

I'm well aware what the minotaur can do....I just don't like the fact that he seems kinda wobbly for supposedly bulky character.

Also, I swear this game has a bias against axes.

Well, isn't that what something like the Goblin's for, to get the min-maxers like the Minotaur extra equipment? I have no idea how well that works out in practice.

Edit: Oh, does this have an editor? Any word on that? Somewhat underdefined backgrounds like these would be ideal for this type of game (a 10x10x10 room could be the remains of a feast turned into a fierce battle, or an engine room of a space ship speeding through the outer plasma of a star; it's all in the description) and Unlimited Adventures very much is not that. Though I guess a browser game would work best for that, hm.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 8, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It turns out the issue was moot all along because randomized loot is completely bonkers and I found a 100 damage greatsword that turned my vampire into an unstoppable murdergod. Now everyone just runs support for him with items and I'm glad I picked hard as my difficulty because the game suddenly turned into a big pushover.

That said god drat the soundtrack of this game is great. It's kind of amazing to me that the beauty of the graphical style and soundtrack is contrasted with...er, the quality of the writing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Heavy neutrino posted:

It turns out the issue was moot all along because randomized loot is completely bonkers and I found a 100 damage greatsword that turned my vampire into an unstoppable murdergod. Now everyone just runs support for him with items and I'm glad I picked hard as my difficulty because the game suddenly turned into a big pushover.

That said god drat the soundtrack of this game is great. It's kind of amazing to me that the beauty of the graphical style and soundtrack is contrasted with...er, the quality of the writing.

Several of my attempts only got past the brutal early game due to insane random drops too (there's an early chest somewhere that's spit out Elvish Leather for me like 3 times), so don't feel bad.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glazius posted:

How does grinding work in this game? Can you just fight endlessly or do you stop getting XP after a few levels up?

Enemies on the main map stay dead once killed. The game was (supposedly) built to where you didn't need to grind, ever, but you'll have to properly use tactics~. You can't just brute force your way through.

There is a grinding mechanism, but I'm pretty sure it'll be discussed in the future, so I won't spoil anything.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Chokes McGee posted:

Enemies on the main map stay dead once killed. The game was (supposedly) built to where you didn't need to grind, ever, but you'll have to properly use tactics~. You can't just brute force your way through.

There is a grinding mechanism, but I'm pretty sure it'll be discussed in the future, so I won't spoil anything.

The Catacombs were mentioned last update :ssh:

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I'm looking forward to following along with this. Although I managed to win on 1980s mode last night, the final secrets keep glitching out on me. Hopefully watching you will reveal what I've been doing wrong. :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

senrath posted:

The Catacombs were mentioned last update :ssh:

OMG STOP POSTING SPOILERS yeah okay, I missed that. Sorry. :blush:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

code:
Abom     ||||||||||
Skeleton |||||||||
Goblin   |
Well that was a close one! It looks like we want a meatbag over a pile of bones. Abomination it is!

Kind of excited about that. I've never used one before so we'll see if it lives up to the hype :)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I just started playing this myself. Pretty fun!

I get a weird error with the mouse though. I can see a little white dot that's where my cursor actually is. Then there's the pointer, which follows it but not as quickly, so I move the dot and then the arrow drifts to catch up. It's kind of annoying! Does this happen to anyone else?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bellmaker posted:

code:
Abom     ||||||||||
Skeleton |||||||||
Goblin   |
Well that was a close one! It looks like we want a meatbag over a pile of bones. Abomination it is!

Kind of excited about that. I've never used one before so we'll see if it lives up to the hype :)

I'm so happy that I was wrong.

Yay for the abomination :dance:

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009
Who voted Goblin! Don't you know how the two party system works.

Oh well, I guess there always next time skelly buddy

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I think the word Abomination refers to the incomprehensible mish-mash of moves it has. It's pretty good though because it can pretty much do anything (except damage against non-mages).

That said, I've gotten pretty far into the game and, uh, the difficulty is kind of out of whack. Bosses are complete pushovers but if an enemy in a random encounter gets a good Sleep or physical AoE attack off it's basically game over. Fortunately I picked up the Ghost and he's pretty much carrying me through the game with how broken he is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Heavy neutrino posted:

I think the word Abomination refers to the incomprehensible mish-mash of moves it has. It's pretty good though because it can pretty much do anything (except damage against non-mages).

That said, I've gotten pretty far into the game and, uh, the difficulty is kind of out of whack. Bosses are complete pushovers but if an enemy in a random encounter gets a good Sleep or physical AoE attack off it's basically game over.

I was never really impressed by the Abomination's damage against mages, either, and just about everybody winds up with an incomprehensible mess of skills.

My experience difficultywise was just the opposite, though--my team could handle most standard enemies with little difficulty, but most bosses were substantial difficulty bumps (a few were really lame, though.)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So uh are there different items on different difficulties? Because I'm seeing items I've never seen before playing on Normal and it's ridiculous/magical :haw::respek::stare:

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Mwip57 posted:

Who voted Goblin! Don't you know how the two party system works.

Oh well, I guess there always next time skelly buddy

Goblin's the only way out of our coming ecological collapse! You think paper grows on trees? No, we ARE a book, a dead book that we're neglectfully tearing apart for toilet paper, papier mache projects, and our weekly ticker tape parades for people who didn't murder any other sentient being this week. Before long, the world won't be able to fit more than a Two and a Half Men episode synopsis. Just as Goblin changed the way we think about pens with Unsafe in Any Pocket, leading to pocket protector legislation and higher standards for pen nib production, only he can actually stop this disaster before it's too late. The difference between Abomination and Skeleton on any truly important issue is as big as the difference between their votes.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

This game is really reminding me of The Dark Spire, another Wizardry-inspired RPG with shadowed art that came out for the DS. It's a real shame more people haven't heard of it, because it's a really wonderfully put together game from art to music to gameplay.

There's even an old-school RPG mode for extra nostalgia (ignore the screenshot being in Japanese):

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gyre posted:

There's even an old-school RPG mode for extra nostalgia (ignore the screenshot being in Japanese):

Or, as like I to call it, "PTSD Mode."

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I wanted to like Dark Spire more than I did, I got a few levels in, but I disliked the map design that required them to fill every available square with useless, empty rooms, with the occasional secret passage leading to another useless, empty room.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I wanted to like Dark Spire more than I did, I got a few levels in, but I disliked the map design that required them to fill every available square with useless, empty rooms, with the occasional secret passage leading to another useless, empty room.

Dark Spire really opens up around the fourth level or thereabouts. I think there are spells to randomly teleport and/or teleport you directly up or down one level, so they had to have stuff everywhere. Plus that's just the Wizardry way - a block you can't get into is a mystery that must be solved (though in Wizardry, I think you definitely could teleport into rock - did I mention there aren't anything like savegames? And the game constantly saved after every action? You really had to know when to turn off your computer before it could register your entire party has just been killed).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Dark Spire really opens up around the fourth level or thereabouts. I think there are spells to randomly teleport and/or teleport you directly up or down one level, so they had to have stuff everywhere. Plus that's just the Wizardry way - a block you can't get into is a mystery that must be solved (though in Wizardry, I think you definitely could teleport into rock - did I mention there aren't anything like savegames? And the game constantly saved after every action? You really had to know when to turn off your computer before it could register your entire party has just been killed).

For the most part, Wizardry had open spaces and the ability to get back into the main map if bumbled around a bit, but yeah. You can gently caress yourself real bad by MALOR'ing around at random.

Also gently caress Floor 4 and random teleport traps.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Finally got around to finishing the game on Hard last night. Aside from the wonky rear end difficulty -- I had to retry some of the random encounters near the end several times hoping that the RNG would play along and not make two of them rain down AoE hell on my party before anyone got to move, whereas the final boss went down like a chump in one try -- and the straight-up lame ending, it was definitely a fun experience.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how a different party works (if the LP isn't abandoned).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Heavy neutrino posted:

Finally got around to finishing the game on Hard last night. Aside from the wonky rear end difficulty -- I had to retry some of the random encounters near the end several times hoping that the RNG would play along and not make two of them rain down AoE hell on my party before anyone got to move, whereas the final boss went down like a chump in one try -- and the straight-up lame ending, it was definitely a fun experience.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how a different party works (if the LP isn't abandoned).

Nope, work went to hell and the next couple of weeks are gonna be pretty nutty though, aiming for an update Wednesday but who knows :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
For anybody interested, the game is currently .99 cents on the Humble Store for the next 40 hours or so.

• Locked thread