Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Problem description: I have a Lenovo T430 with a stock installation of Windows 7 x64 that has some very frustrating and strange VPN related behavior. Any time I connect to a VPN, be it L2TP or OpenVPN or PPTP, webpages don't load properly, if at all. Occasionally I'm met with garbled sites, whereas other times I get errors suggesting that the page can't be loaded because of incorrect compression or something such. The exact same VPN connections work fine on my desktop.

Attempted fixes: I've scoured Google, though there have been very few relevant pages or posts on this topic. I've updated all of my network-related drivers. I've made sure that the issue isn't specific to one device (e.g., wireless) or another by trying over the wired and wireless connections. I'm kind of at wits end and am thinking about doing a clean install, though I'd strongly prefer to avoid having to do that.

Recent changes: None; in fact, this has been a longstanding issue that I've forgotten about until recently when my need to use a VPN has returned.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

System specs: Lenovo T430 2342CTO

Processor

Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Operating System Language Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - English

Display Type 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready

System Graphics NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory

Total Memory 4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)

Keyboard Keyboard - US English

Camera 720p HD Camera with Microphone

Hard Drive 320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

Ultrabay DVD Recordable

System Expansion Slots Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader

Battery 9 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70++

Power Cord 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)

Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

Integrated Mobile Broadband Mobile Broadband upgradable

Language Pack Publication - US English

I'm using an ASUS RT-N16 running Tomato 1.28, with a Motorola Surfboard modem.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My first guess is that you have some lovely antivirus/security program installed that is causing this issue. Do you?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Just the Windows AV--the same one that's on the desktop.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
I ended up reinstalling Windows which of course fixed the issue, FYI.

• Locked thread