Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm an amateur musician. I have motley collection of music equipment ($11K replacement value) and a dedicated room in my house for a project studio.
I am usually involved in 2 or 3 different casual music groups at any given time. Once in a great while (2-3X annually) one of these groups will make a trifling sum of money (each member gets >$40). We also play at charity events, such as cancer fundraiser so or marathon running races. I also record/master/mix music at my house, sometimes for money, never very much.
While talking to my insurance agent (house and auto) the other day he said that none of my activities or equipment are covered under my homeowners policy or personal liability coverage, since I have ever gotten paid for anything. In the event something goes awry during a gig or session, I would be personally liable and none of my equipment would be covered in the vent of thefts/fire/etc.
What is the most economically efficient way to shield myself/wife from liability while undertaking these activities?
Wife is telling me that I need to cease and desist. She is an attorney (but not in the field of liability/insurance/etc) and we are both very wary of risky behaviors.
Do I need to have an LLC, business license and some kind of umbrella policy for the LLC? Is there a better ideas for this?
I'm in Denver, Colorado , USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Your wife is an attorney and telling you that? Maybe she doesn't like the instruments, I guess it would make sense then!

Heritage Insurance will cover instruments without question (with the right coverage selected), but your homeowners should offer riders/endorsements for them, too. Just like any valuable, you need it listed and documentation retained. Maybe call a different agent.

I don't see the need for an LLC here - LLC's do not change insurable interests.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think she is worried about him Great Whiteing a venue full of people to death. Do you use pyrotechnics? Is your music so bad you feel you may be sued?

• Locked thread