Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Victor Everhart

Victor looks over at Brandt and then mutters, "I have never been incarcerated." He then turns back and looks over Diana, "Your weapons are paltry and worth little. Eisen blades are..." He pauses, shakes his head seeming to let of a bit of steam then turns to Vincenzo, "I'm sorry I lost my temper. Now that I see it your way I understand... Our defense can exploit this. We'll just have to make sure they are payed handsomely enough to bring these revelations about our people's lack of threat to light and to the proper ears... Although..." He motions to Diana, "Our young lady DID draw her pistol. Even got it ready to fire." He sighs and shakes his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Diana

"And your response to a dozen armed thugs strolling up is to just stand there empty handed until they explain themselves? *SLUURP* I was trying to HIDE, one of them got ridiculously lucky. Must've been some kinda game poacher or something before going legit."
No one's stopped her or even commented on it, they must not be hungry. "That was the first toy soldier I've ever seen that could lead a target instead of just stand there in a long line and get shot." She winces again. "-and you know, I had the sense to stop moving once I figured out what was going on unlike the well used pincushions present."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 3, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The day passes. The old robber continues to egg on the man across from him, and make idle conversation with whomever speaks to him. Breakfast is all but destroyed, and replaced with lunch when the sun is high in the sky; fresh water and wine are brought, always with numerous guards wielding muskets. The whole time, the woman across from the cell only ever glances in the direction of the officers. As the sun sets, a final guard arrives, bringing another plate of cheese and bread, sliding it under the bars; the fare has slowly worsened over the day as the shifts have changed, and this time the guard comes alone.

Hours after night has fallen, the woman moves closer to the bars and sits, not looking in any particular direction. The snores of the robber echo in the basement, while the muscled man continues to sit in stoic silence, his eyes closed; it's difficult to tell if he's actually asleep or not. A short while after moving, she clears her throat, speaking in a loud whisper, dripping with a northern Montaigne accent. "Good sir from Avalon, may I speak with you?"

She keeps her head turned, so as to not seem as though she's talking. "The guard is watching, please do not look like you are talking or he will come and he will find out what I have." She pauses, letting the snores fill the silence. "I am Helene. The magistrate, he is not a man of mercy, and cares only for the fear he brings to reduce the crimes of his parish. He will find you guilty, and you will hang." Helene speaks loud enough that anyone else awake will hear her, and she continues after letting it sink in for a moment. "I know of the murder; it was spoke of by the guards while your cell was prepared. They only do such niceties to those who will die."

"If you will help me, I will help you." She lifts the hand she has kept in her lap, revealing a small iron key that glints faintly in the moonlight. "The captain keeps all of our items in his office, and he took some letters from me when I was arrested. I do not know how to fight, and I need you to overpower the guards so we may flee. Mid-watch is coming up, and the guard, he is nearing retirement. He will not be difficult to surprise and subdue; he has but one sword and one pistol, so as long as he does not cry out, we should be able to escape."

Helene finally looks towards the cell, her eyes pleading. "Will you help?"

Feel free to fill in anything during the hours after your arrest, before Helene talks to you; not everyone got a chance to react, but I do wanna keep things rolling. :v:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Vincenzo

The Captain does not speak, as he was not being spoken to. The past couple of days have only affirmed his knowledge that the Montaigne legal system was worth about as much as a Fhideli promise. Everyone just assumed that if they went quietly, things would work out in the end. But Vincenzo knew. He knew they were after the rutter the instant they mentioned that man from the tavern. That's why he tried to fight. But these morons under his command actually thought that going quietly would help. He was betrayed. And now, this Montaigne woman wanted out. How decidedly typical. Still, she had some value. So long as his comrades could actually work together, they might get out. And then he's giving out lashes. Wordlessly, he nods to the woman Helene.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Cal

Cal listens intently before turning to the others in the cell, "Right everyone quit pretending not to be eavesdropping, this isn't my call alone." He gestures at Victor, "Mr Fancypants over there has made it readily apparent we are not to act on gut feeling, so what do you all say?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Diana

"Is this even a question? Lets slap the old fart silly and get out of here."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Victor Everhart

Victor nods, "I want my blade back, is family heirloom." He looks over at Cal before grumbling, "My pants are quite plain, you are just upset because they fit me properly. He rolls his shoulders and crosses his arms, "We are waiting for guard change, then we will do what must be done. I am sorry to say I do not generally fight without my blade. But I am thinking we can subdue one guard.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Padre Clavo
Previously:
Clavo rolled his eyes as best he could while being scolded. "I swore that I would not give up my freedom again, and if I must it would be paid for with blood. Not eggs. While I admire your faith in Montaigne justice, I would hardly be the first priest to...retire in this heathen, piece of poo poo country, if you recall the Heirophant's current vacancy."

Presently:
"I would be free to sail and minister," Clavo muttered. "I will do whatever I must."

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Vincenzo

"Being that I have a certain Montaigne to emasculate eventually, I would be quite amenable to leaving." the Vodacce Captain says in a low, calm voice. "We should make every effort to secure what is ours."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Pierre

Pierre lay back on his bunk. "I'm sure this is all just a misunderstanding that can be resolved like gentlemen" sighing he looks at the rest of the crew "but if you want to escape I will not stand in your way, but I must insist we do not kill a man whose only "crime" is doing his job"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Brandt

"It's as good a reason as any to kill a man." Brandt still relaxes in his corner of the cell, legs stretched out as he leans back. "Or we could get out and leave the port without anyone else knowing. But then you loose the rutter, not that I think it's likely to be worth anything."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
With no further disagreement from the crew, Helene tosses the key, arcing it perfectly so it lands in the cell by Diana's feet. She glances down the hallway and reaches through the bars, unlocking the door but leaving it shut. She pockets the key and nods to the others; the waiting game begins.

As the night drags on, the shift changes, and an older looking guard takes over. An hour into his shift, he comes down the hallway, sword and pistol on his belt, and checks in on everyone. When he walks past the officer's cell, Diana springs into attack mode; she barely opens the door and squeezes out, getting behind the old guard and quickly slamming his head into the wall. The old man is out quickly, and slumps to the ground; Diana takes his sword and pistol, and quickly moves to release Helene and open the door for the others.

The large man in the opposite room opens his eyes, glaring at the escaping pirates. He stands, stretching as he does, and moves to his own cell door, gripping it tightly. The sound of groaning metal fills the air and after a moment, the man has taken the door clean off its hinges, and steps out into the hallway. He rolls his neck, his face mirthful. When he finally speaks, it is with a booming voice that almost rattles the teeth.

"I don't think you should be doing this, friends; you were arrested and placed here to face justice! To escape is downright shameful! I don't think I can let you pass." The man grips the iron bars of the door and gives it a test swing, giving the group an appraising look.

Sorry for the delay, I was expecting people to plan or even try something, and then I had a bad weekend.

You are all out of your cell, and you have one pistol and one sword; the sound of the pistol will surely bring more guards, and the guy in front of you is wielding what is basically a heavy weapon, but there's one of him and nine of you. You can also try to talk him down.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Diane

"...did your dad punch your mom in the gut too many times when she was pregnant with you? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?"
She hands the sword to the first team mate who takes it. "Finish with this loser and lets get the heck out of here."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 12, 2014

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Padre Clavo

"My friend," says Clavo, holding up a calming hand to the tattooed man, "you are right and correct. Theus' prophets teach us that all men will be judged for their sins, and all men must pay for the injustices they have committed. There is none among us who has not transgressed in some respect or another.

"However, this place is not a place of justice. We stand accused of a crime we did not commit and refuse to hang for it, as these men would wish us to. Instead, we will leave as we entered, free and innocent men and women, and invite you to do the same. After all, you were put in here for defending your lady; surely she would be better protected if you were on the other side of the doors that keep us here?"

Oratory Roll=22, (27 if the dude is Vaticine)

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 12, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Brandt

"You... do these men not know how to build a door?" Scratching his head for a moment at the awesome display of strength, Brandt steps back towards his cell and grasps the bars tightly as he strains to pull it free from it's hinges. After a moment of grunting and veins visibly bulging, the door pulls free as the hinges bend and snap with the sound of overstressed metal. The effort sends him staggering backwards, door in hands. "No. They do not know how to build a door. So then, my large friend... allow us to pass? Or shall you face me, man to man, door to door?"

TN 15 to pull door free: Rolled 8
Drama-die spent on reroll: Rolled a 29

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 12, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Remember! You can use Drama Dice to reroll, or add dice to your roll. That's what they're there for; to make suitably dramatic moments actually WORK.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Vincenzo

The Vodacce man remains passive, quietly taking the offered sword. He'd use it if he must, but he'd rather not if he could help it. Unnecessary killing is rarely a pleasant thing. He does carefully sidestep a bit, just enough to give the appearance that the man is surrounded. A surreptitious gesture to Michelangelo sends him to the shadows of the nighttime jail.

"We are adults, and I am sure we can work this out in a quiet and civil manner." the Captain says softly, not wishing to draw any more attention than he must. Discretion is the better part of getting poo poo done.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Hrulf

The giant man looks at Brandt and his face breaks into a grin, "I CANNOT APPROVE OF YOUR BREAKING THE LAW LAD, BUT I CAN APPRECIATE THE FLAIR WITH WHICH YOU GO ABOUT IT." He gestures with his door to the others, "COME THEN FRIENDS, GRAB THAT CHAIR AND THAT BUCKET, IF YOU TRULY WANT TO BE FREE YOU HAVE TO EARN IT!" The man guffaws once more, before placing a foot forward ready to attack.

Cal

Cal sizes up the man, listens to him talk, and takes a step back behind the others, slinging his cloak over his forearm just in case. He does not pick up the bucket.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Victor Everhart

VIctor follows everyone out and then stops as the fellow attempts to accost them. He crosses his arms and moves near the front of the group, grumbling out, "Really, can nothing ever go right?"

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Elaine

Elaine looks at the group and the door-wielding barbarians worriedly."Are you sure this is a good idea? The captain seemed a reasonable man, even if some of those under his command were not. It would be beneficial to us to not be wanted in the entirety of Montaigne, and we have no reason to assume that we couldn't simply explain what happened. Even if we could fight our way out of here, which is not certain, I'm not sure it's wise to trust Helene over the captain. She has far more to gain by misleading us."

I realise I'm late. Sorry. Advocating the peaceful solution.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Hrulf

Seeing no-one else moving to attack Hrulf takes the initiative, moving faster than a man of his size carrying a cast iron door has any right to. His first blow smashes Brandt's guard aside with ease, his follow up blows taking him first in the jaw and then down again on the back of the head smashing the smaller man to the ground. Hrulf halts, panting, "NOW, WOULD ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO PICK THAT UP OR ARE YOU GOING TO GO BACK INSIDE?"

pre:
[20:23] <Dyne> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4612164/ Hrolf attack
[20:23] <Dyne> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4612169/ Hrolf damage
[20:23] <Dyne> if you wanna write those
[20:24] <Dyne> hitting firesight's dude
[20:25] <Dyne> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4612170/ he takes at least one dramatic wound
[20:41] <Dyne> spending a drama die
[20:41] <Dyne> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4612183/ add 5 to the damage
[20:41] <Dyne> so brandt takes two Dramatic Wounds

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Pierre

"Mes amis we do not wish to be named enemies of the state" Pierre pleads. "Try to avoid killing any musketeers I would very much like to return to my home without being a wanted criminal." Pierre wanders over to check if the aging guard is still breathing after the vicious attack. Reassuring himself of this he turns to the angry prisoner and sighs at the thought of fighting such a bear of a man.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Diana

"We're already down for the that trumped up murder charge AND assaulting the guard and breaking out. Sorry children, once you set something in motion you gotta follow through."
She stares at the huge moron hitting the other huge moron. "You guys have the skill set to wrap this up, I'm gonna take a look-see around the area to see where we're going and what's out there."

(Stealth roll to get out 45 :ninja:)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 19, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Elaine

Elaine glares at Diana. "We could've explained away the murder thing by simply telling them the truth. Assaulting the guard and breaking out would be much harder to explain, seeing as we actually did do those. Of course, when someone who appears entirely willing to listen to reason wants to ask you questions about a murder for completely understandable reasons, the right thing to do is to go on a crime spree in a musketeer jail. You shouldn't have set this mess in motion in the first place!"

Since I failed to post when the plan was made, I wont insist on changing it, but I will continue to point out IC how dumb that plan is.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Jan Svennson (1/2 Drama Dice)

With a resounding clang, the man wielding the door smashes Brandt to the ground. Hopefully that didn't alert any other guards, but a full-on fight was just out of the question (although Jan did make sure to take the pistol, just in case). "Please, just wait a moment! How do you know if we are guilty or not? Wouldn't throwing us back in our cell to await execution be the same as murder? We will still have to clear our name after we leave, of course, but it seems we are more likely to be heard outside of a cell. Getting into a fight helps no one, and you can't even claim the moral high ground if you do not understand the situation. So, let's all just calm down a moment, shall we?" Internally, the only thing Jan is thinking about is how terrible it would be to be beaten by a cell door. After all, how would he ever live that down? It's probably the most embarrassing way to lose a fight.

Rolled Oratory, got a 22. Spending a drama die to add another d10 (by the way, it seems the "take highest" command of invisible castle doesn't actually show any of the other dice except the highest, so I'm just rolling a new d10). Rolled a 2, so I guess that's just a 24 then. Welp.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I've been waiting for others to post, and got caught up with some stuff IRL; I'll have an update for you guys later Friday or on Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Brandt

If it wasn't for the massive amount of pain in his possibly broken arms, Brandt might have enjoyed his brief feeling of flight. It was like the freedom he got when jumping off a cliff into water.

Of course, the stone floor was a lot harder than the water usually was. Still, he was only stunned for a moment. The cell door laying on top of him was more of an issue though.

"Ok, ok, you win. Someone help get this door off of me. Oww, my arms... and my head."

Damnit, I could have sworn I had posted over a week ago. Obviously I'm going insane.

• Locked thread