Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Hey I'm posting this from a hotel. Thanks a ton Sefer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Good luck on whatever it is you're doing, ForgedIron, and thanks for picking up the match, Sefer! I'll get my pair in soon.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
And we're back!

Beat 8

Malandrax
12 life
Discard 1: Precision Master Plan
Discard 2: Plotting Dash
Finisher: Plots Within Plots

Marmelee
5 life
Discard 1: Nullifying Grasp
Discard 2: Magnificent Drive
Finisher: Astral Cannon
Concentration: 3/5

--Malandrax anted a Trap!!

Malandrax has priority 2. Marmelee has priority 8. Marmelee is the active player!

Before activating, Marmelee declines to spend a Concentration Counter for a useless range boost. After activating, Marmelee advances 1 (and definitely gets hit by a trap).

Marmelee runs into wall spikes and loses 2 life. She is now at 3 life.

Marmelee loses 2 power and Malandrax gains 1 power.

Ingenious shot has a range of 1~5. At range 1, it misses due to dash's effect.

End of beat, Marmelee declines to spend a Concentration Counter to move 1.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 5, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Sefer posted:

:siren: Before activating, Marmelee could spend a Concentration Counter for no reason. After activating, Marmelee moves 1, 2, or 3 spaces. What would you like to do?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I'll advance 1 (and probably get hit by a trap).

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Sefer posted:

:siren: End of beat, Marmelee may spend a Concentration Counter to move 1. Will she?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I'll stand my ground.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Beat 9

Malandrax
12 life
Discard 1: Ingenious Shot
Discard 2: Precision Master Plan
Finisher: Plots Within Plots

Marmelee
3 life
Discard 1: Sorceress Dash
Discard 2: Nullifying Grasp
Finisher: Astral Cannon
Concentration: 4/5

--Malandrax anted a Trap!!

Malandrax has priority 5. Marmelee has priority 3. Malandrax is the active player!

Start of beat, Marmelee must move 1 space. There's only one place for her to go.

Start of beat, Marmelee spends 3 concentration to become active player.

Before activating, Marmelee advances. There's only one place to advance.

Malandrax chooses to activate a trap that he declined to trigger earlier

Malandrax runs away

Petrifying Drive has a range of 1. At range 4, it misses.

Before activating, Malandrax advances.

Leading drive has a range of 2~3. At range 3, it hits!

On hit Marmelee moves, but it doesn't really matter. Marmelee takes 3 damage and is KO'd. Malandrax wins by KO!

Sefer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 6, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Sefer posted:

:siren: Start of beat, Marmelee may spend 3 concentration to become active player. Will she?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

EDIT: Nevermind. Let's just play this through.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Hm, I guess I have to spend the 3 to become active. If he has a Wall trap, I take 2, but if I get hit I will just die.

So yeah, spend 3.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

As soon as she advances, she is in a spot adjacent to me. Activate the Alarm Trap, retreat 2.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Malandrax wins by KO in beat 9! Congrats, ActingPower!

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Good game, Spincut!

Postgame discussion time! Malandrax is really interesting. I got lucky, I think, since I made some good calls early on. I think I demonstrated it pretty well with my two uses of Master Plan. Either you call it right and you deal a whole ton of damage, or you call it wrong and whiff horribly. That's pretty much how Malandrax plays. No wonder he's Flight 5.

Now Marmelee, I was actually pretty surprised with. I was expecting her to be pretty wussy, since it's a cinch to stun her and rob her of her shtick. That's how the first couple turns went, but once I flubbed a couple calls, she actually did pretty well for herself. She has some Style tricks to help her survive. I do agree, though, that her Alternate Ability probably works much better. It's no fun to be sitting around with 1 or 2 Concentration with nothing to use it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh dang, I completely missed that Malandrax's traps were optional to trigger. That sucks for me! :downs:

Yeah, that was a better game than I expected it to be. When I saw the matchup, I was basically like, "Welp, this'll be quick, at least." Marmelee has the odd conundrum of having some neat emergency buttons (like Petrifying and Barrier), but they're locked behind her Concentration counters which are incredibly easy to lose. Compared to Malandrax, who has range and speed to spare, it seems, Marmelee looks...well, weak. You can also compare it to someone like Luc, who has a similar mechanic, but with the added advantage of being unable to lose his counters unless he spends them.

When I played Marmelee UA against I think Alien Rope Burn, though, they commented saying that Marmelee felt too strong with her UA (I lost that match, but it was a lot closer than this one). Not sure if I agree with that assessment though.

Anyhoo, good game, ActingPower!

• Locked thread