Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TerminalBlue posted:

I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen a game that's so... willfully unfun I guess is the way I'd describe it. Maybe that's the meta point or something, but if I'm not engaged on any level by a game other than being bored by it I really can't bring myself to care.

Somewhere, some goon is preparing a 9,000 word deconstructionist treatise on how this game is a triumph of subverting the player's expectations of enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
YO UHHHHHhh Let me drop some dimes on for you people who don't want to read long boring posts on this game and why it sucks dicks.

1. Every single game is a "Balance meters with other meters" style thing that's unfun and boring as poo poo.

2. The story line is retarded and tries to be a space epic thing when a. its too short b. it's too terrible

3. chapter five is the worst loving thing ever made by a human. gently caress you brazil or whatever poo poo latin country of devs made that garbage and think it's fun. Get this right? Imagine you have to wander around in a gigantic maze and everything takes forever and you can instant kill yer' self by going into a wrong square without spending like ten loving minutes doing a special prep action to see what is there first.

4. The ending sucks. It's complete garbage.

5. The music sucks.

6. It's buggy as poo poo. Chapter 2 and the like has so many bugs it's almost laughable that they claim it to be play tested.

6. It's really boring and the whole "YOU GO SO MANY MORAL CHOICES TO MAKE" is complete bullshit because your choices don't matter at all and 2 there is no morality or anything to the game. You never feel the need to make hard choices because everything single path has pretty much a optimum way of doing things that makes you never dip into these choices.

All in all the game sucks, hard. I've never felt so let down by such a lovely purchase on steam.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
All joking aside it's not that bad for a quick time killer but it's really clunky and isn't that much fun. Kind of a bummer, really, because the art and concept seem really cool, huh?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

exquisite tea posted:

Somewhere, some goon is preparing a 9,000 word deconstructionist treatise on how this game is a triumph of subverting the player's expectations of enjoyment.

I don't think I could debate their core premise at least.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

its like the flash game is a pretty okay pizza and the full game is one of those YOU WIN PIZZA FOR A WHOLE YEAR sweepstakes thing where you just really loving hate pizza afterwards because it makes you poo poo funny and the taste gets old and youre really fat and unhealthy and girls wont talk to you because of your acne

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Control Volume posted:

its like the flash game is a pretty okay pizza and the full game is one of those YOU WIN PIZZA FOR A WHOLE YEAR sweepstakes thing where you just really loving hate pizza afterwards because it makes you poo poo funny and the taste gets old and youre really fat and unhealthy and girls wont talk to you because of your acne
im sorry about your traumatic pizza experience.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I haven't played it, but the previews give me too much of a Spec Ops vibe where it looks like the game is just going to point at you and yell "YOU ARE THE MONSTERS! YOU ARE THE MONSTERS!" but with ~-retraux style-~

I might try out the flash one. Could be really good though. The only "Choices" game I really enjoyed was Walking Dead, because that was more about the characters and the really good voice acting and not deep psychological debates on "If a pregnant woman is drowning and 3 murderers are drowning, who do you throw the ladder? Also it's on fire."

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.

LordHippoman posted:

The only "Choices" game I really enjoyed was Walking Dead, because that was more about the characters and the really good voice acting and not deep psychological debates on "If a pregnant woman is drowning and 3 murderers are drowning, who do you throw the ladder? Also it's on fire."

Gods Will Be Watching is nothing like that.
For me it's just a tedious micromanager with bad luck.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

deep psychological debates on "If a pregnant woman is drowning and 3 murderers are drowning, who do you throw the ladder? Also it's on fire."

My "favorite" one of these is towards the end of Infamous where you either save your ex-girlfriend or six (six, not just one but six!!) doctors, except surprise if you choose the girl it turns out she was really among the doctors all along and you just saved some random nobody.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I thought this game was good but it was a trick. :(

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
This game sure sparked a lot of controversial opinions!

I pretty much agree with the majority of the goons who are saying that the gameplay sucks because of the lack of checkpoints and draconian difficulty that trows RNG into the mix as well.

The game would have been 100% better if there were no fail states and only consequences that carried over. But you know what? I kind of like it, although the game does make it very difficult to be likable.

If you are still trying to beat it, here are some chapter spoilers that will make your life easier (I didn't get to chapters 6 and 7 yet):

Chapter 1
Attacking the guards forces them back 3 steps, Negotiating with them freezes their position for 3 turns.
Charging the hack boost and reinforcing security relaxes the hostages.
Hostages that have been shot in the leg cant run away but will bleed out in 5-6 turns.
If you have 2 hostages who are completely opposite (super relaxed/super stressed), trade one of them for something.
Doing anything to the guy in the jacket will affect the entire group. Doing something to one of the hostages will affect the 2 nearby hostages as well.
Do not bother with the break room.
The best sequence of events from the start is Negotiate -> Charge boost -> Charge boost -> Charge boost -> Improve stability -> Attack -> Negotiate -> Deal with hostages as appropriate -> repeat
Chapter 2
You can split the damage by Provoking the torturers with different characters
The character on the chains can only be cranked once before dying
Medkits are the best thing to get from Liam for most situations
Torture sequence is Fists -> Hammer -> Teeth pull thing -> Heater crowbar -> Crank wheel -> Revolver -> Fists -> Crowbar -> Crank Wheel -> Axe
If you want to minmax everything, consider getting the Information for the crowbar, pain killers for the crank wheel and Information for the Revolver.
Revolver IS pure RNG BULLSHIT. Without lying or confessing, you need to endure 1/7, 1/6, 1/5, 1/7, 1/6 and 1/5 chances of death. You can skip 3 of those with information + thinking
Just Info+Lie or Confess for the Axe if you want Jack to keep his arm
Chapter 3
Getting the cure is a game of mastermind, except symbols cannot be repeated in a sequence. So you cannot have AAA or ABB but you can have ABC.
You will need to find 2 cures, one with 3 letters and one with 4.
Unstable mutagen only has an 11% chance of death, not 20%.
Sedatives restore a character to 100% after an hour of rest. They are way better than adrenaline.
Test your viruses on Donald, he is the most useless character in the room and has a quick recovery time.
Start by making 2 sedatives and THEN start the cure research. Make additional sedatives as they are used up.
Chapter 4
You don't need to cook the food. Nothing bad happens to characters who eat raw food, cooking it just improves morale.
Use the dog to hunt (60%). Don't spend bullets unless you have to.
Spears are awful but can help you out in a pinch.
Space wolves will only attack twice. Always keep 6 bullets in reserve.
Make one antidote at the start of the level in case Zenecz gets paralyzed.
Actual priorities are Fire -> Food -> Morale -> Radio -> Everything else.
Speeches are more effective than individual conversations. Fixing the radio also boosts morale.
The dog and Jack have the highest hunger resistances in the game.
Chapter 5
Check the mission status for the direction that you need to go in.
Since there is no diagonal movement, just move in one of the directions, then the other. If your directions is NE, move NORTH until the scanner tells you that you are moving away, then EAST.
The scanner TEXT is more important than the GRAPHIC
Don't bother with battle remains. Only dig for water if you are below 12 units.
Fighting patrols usually breaks even on magazine expenditure.
Avoid attacking camps EXCEPT when your men are at OK stamina or below. You will need the camp to rest. ALWAYS loot camps after attacking them
At the start of the game scout both directions that get you closer to the destination, then pick the route that has the least fighting.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 29, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something interesting is that apparently the Devs took people's criticisms to heart.

Though it's from awhile back I didn't hear about it until now, but the update made a few changes, specifically adding three new difficulties. Puzzle mode removes the random chance, Puzzle Mode Light does that but makes it easier, and Narrative mode basically makes the game a visual novel.

If you think the story sucks, welp, doesn't do anything about that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good that they acknowledged it, but I still have zero interest in playing more of this awful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
???

• Locked thread