Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Normal High School Girls Tried Being Local Idols, or Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yattemita.

What's the deal? What the hell is a "Locodol" anyways you nerdcheese

Normal High School Girls Tried Being Local Idols (or Locodol for short) is a 4koma adaptation being handled by Feel about a first-year high school girl, Nanako Usami, who gets convinced into becoming a "locodol" (portmanteau of 'local' + 'idol') by her uncle. She does performances and promotions alongside another high school girl a year older than her, Yukari Kohinata, in order to promote business for their hometown of Nagarekawa.

So far it's been pretty cute and heartwarming, if admittedly a little bit on the fanservice side from time to time.

Who the what

Nanako Usami (Nana, Nyanako, Nanyako)
Our main locodol. Still pretty nervous about this whole locodol thing. Wanted to be an idol at an early age. This isn't quite how she imagined it turning out.

Yukari Kohinata
Nanako's fellow locodol, her senior of one year in high school. Also nervous but manages to hide it well. Kind of on the rich side of life.

Yui Mikoze
A senior at Nanako's high school. Doesn't like being seen. First to play the role of Uogokoro-kun.

Uogokoro-kun
Mascot of Nagarekawa. Has a rather charming face. By the way, that's a minnow on his back.

Saori Nishifukai
Manager to the Nagarekawa Girls and Uogokoro-kun. Secretly runs a locodol fansite out of her obsession with the girls (which also drove her to become their manager).

Mirai Nazukari
A member of the acting club at Nanako's high school, like Yui. Even more shy than Yui. Understudy to Yui for Uogokoro-kun.

Where can I see it?

Crunchyroll is streaming the series.

graybook fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's less trashy and better than what I was expecting.

When I first heard of "locodol" though I assumed a sci-fi term like LOCOMOTIVE DOLL.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
There are so many weird, stalker types gathering on the main character, that I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and this becoming a face-wearing horror anime.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I thought thread title said "Normal High School Girls Tried Being Local Idiots" and for a moment it seemed interesting.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Forgall posted:

I thought thread title said "Normal High School Girls Tried Being Local Idiots" and for a moment it seemed interesting.

Sometime trying isn't necessary. :p

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh god, that spirit-breaking first thirty seconds of the latest episode.

I'm looking forward to the OST release because of all that light-hearted BGM and such.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was a huge fan of the mascot character tournament. The part where the Date Masamune's eyepatch opened up had me in stiches.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LockHeart posted:

There are so many weird, stalker types gathering on the main character, that I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and this becoming a face-wearing horror anime.

That's what Doujinshis are for.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Schneider Heim posted:

I was a huge fan of the mascot character tournament. The part where the Date Masamune's eyepatch opened up had me in stiches.

That was definitely the highlight of the show so far, and will probably be the only thing that's remembered past the end of the show. Everything else wobbles along a thing line between being insubstantial fluff and slightly skeevy, which I guess is probably also true of actual idol stuff.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
This show should be called Uogokoro-kun: The Animation instead. The mascot chara stuff is really much more interesting than the Locodols themselves. Liked the bit where the manager tells them that kids will copy everything you do so no more backflips, aight?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Evidently there's teasing of a supposed second season, but I think it might have been dismissed as just a joke. Probably the case given that this first season isn't even done yet.

https://twitter.com/ichijinsha_info/status/499972117421510656

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Latest episode felt a little too straightforward with Nanako befriending Mirai, but since there're 4 episodes left, I guess this was bound to happen with a new main character.

I adore the way the ending theme's changed as the group grows. :3

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Just got to 11. Oh man, they've gotta give us that new song next episode.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
They used a new song! I was expecting them to reuse the OP. That was surprisingly decent.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm a bit on the late side, but I finally got to watch the finale.

I'm too affected by this kind of crud 'cause I had happy tears during the new song.

It's been a wonderful journey, and I think from how earnest the show's been, this is going to stay my favorite of the season despite the entertainment factor from stuff like Sabagebu or Nozaki-kun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm rather enjoying this show, too. I think the main reason is all the episodes feel really lively. They animation is really brisk and although there aren't that many characters who have really important roles, the interactions manage to stay fresh and entertaining. I still like how the main character is the most down to earth and still can't remember how to say her name right on television.

If a season 2 were announced, I'd be more than happy to follow along with it.

• Locked thread