Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So we just started a policy of deleting Computer Accounts that have been inactive for 60 days. For the most part, it works well. But we're getting a handful of users who's User Accounts are active, but their Computer Account are reporting that the last login on that computer was 2 months ago. They do not have any other computers, and they can't log into anything else.

Any ideas?

Edit: Thanks to whoever changed my post tag!

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Are you certain those machines are communicating with your domain controller? Normally they would get a Trust Relationship Fail message on login, but I've seen weird issues like this that usually require removing and readding to the domain.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RadicalR posted:

So we just started a policy of deleting Computer Accounts that have been inactive for 60 days. For the most part, it works well. But we're getting a handful of users who's User Accounts are active, but their Computer Account are reporting that the last login on that computer was 2 months ago. They do not have any other computers, and they can't log into anything else.

Sixty days seems like a short threshold. Any specific reason to do it so soon? Also, what kind of server OS/AD are you using?

Could it be that the computers have been running for a few months and haven't been rebooted?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Zogo posted:

Sixty days seems like a short threshold. Any specific reason to do it so soon? Also, what kind of server OS/AD are you using?

Could it be that the computers have been running for a few months and haven't been rebooted?

Windows 2008R2 last I checked, but we may have upgraded to 2012 R2, I believe.

That's the security rules that were handed down, so <shrug>.

Also, I didn't think about that. Sleep mode doesn't count as shutting down, right?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RadicalR posted:

That's the security rules that were handed down, so <shrug>.

Overly stringent policies have been known to induce IT headaches.

RadicalR posted:

Also, I didn't think about that. Sleep mode doesn't count as shutting down, right?

There are many power states with the modern OS/hardware but yea the server may not see some of those as being fully off unless they get a reset or shutdown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

Easiest thing would be to reboot a few of those machines and see what happens.

• Locked thread