Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald

OK, my first attempt to post a thread here. Suggestions and critique welcome!

About This Game
The game is an old-school story-driven RPG with tactical turn-based combat and simple economic model, set in a low-fantasy realm. One could say it's a mix of King’s Bounty and Disciples 2 with several innovations and in original setting.
Game trailer here

More details
There is global map where we are traveling with our army and crushing the enemy (local knights and rogues), capturing castles and monasteries, robbing the villages – all in all, having as much fun as we can. Don’t forget about markets and towns, where we can buy things, take quests and listen to gossip (most of it could be useful).

Like in King’s Bounty or Mount’n’Blade, we command a single army, and the game proceeds on the global map in real time. However, you can switch to autopause mode, so you would not waste time of the game. The game becomes almost turn-based.

Early Access
Now the game is in beta and is on Steam Early Access. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/246760) It has 5 scenarios right now (3 scenario of the main campaign including a tutorial) plus 2 separate ones. When we came out in October to EA, it was not very stable. Since then, it improved greatly, and now it's fully playable with a few occasional glitches. More updates are coming and release is just in a few months. Those who don't like spoilers can play two single scenarios that we have and save the main campaign for later.

Game Realm
Legends of Eisenwald realm is quasi-historical low fantasy. There are no elves, orcs, fireballs and no (!) chainmail bikinis.

Legends of Eisenwald Baroness is one of the female warriors, who don't use chainmail bikinis.

The game takes place at the beginning of the XV century in a fictional duchy somewhere between Thuringia and Silesia. There are supernatural powers people of that time believed in. They believed in blessing, that a priest can give a protection, or a witch might put a curse on someone. They also believed in ghosts, werewolves and ghouls.

Combat
Combat is similar to Disciples 2 (or classic jRPG), but it was creatively reworked. In short, the each army has 3 rows: leading(front), middle and back (support area). The infantry stand on the front, on the middle - archers and pikemen, on the backward - priests, healers and others support units.

You can not just order unit move and stand anywhere. You can order attack enemy unit only. So, every turn ends with dealing damage unless you skip it to activate a special ability and all that gives dynamics to the combat. As usual, units have special abilities. For example, a pikeman can stand in counterattack position, archer - sniping, etc.

Upgrades
Your army can have up to 12 units. Too little? Maybe, but you can upgrade and equip each one individually!

When a unit gets a new level, he changes his appearance (like in Disciples or some card-games). Almost all units have alternate branches of upgrade.

Besides, you can give each unit own weapon, armor, amulets and also potions. He can use them in combat.

Some words about weapons. Each type of weapon have some characteristics. For example, a club stuns an enemy, crossbow ignores half armor, pickaxe damages armor (reduces its value for the entire battle), pike might attack over a hex, and etc.

Also you can set a knight on horse. Equestrian knight is a threatening unit, a real medieval tank!

Campaign
Open world like in King’s Bounty or Mount’n’Blade doesn’t exist in Legends of Eisenwald. The story comes in separate chapters-scenarios like in Disciples or HoMM. Maybe it’s not as cool as open world for some. But on the other side scenarios are not similar to each other and gameplay on one can significantly differ from another. In one case you need just to conquer everything you find, in another place - to unfold a mystery, in yet another you can grind as much as you want, and the next one you have to finish as fast as you can so you don’t run out of time. Main campaign will have 7 scenarios. There is a skirmish like scenario that we added recently, Cursed Castle. It is as close as it can get to open world.

Duchy Map

Scenario Editor
The game comes with Scenario Editor. ALL the tools that we developers use to make the scenarios are available to you. You can make your own maps, create your own units, armor, weapons, write dialogs, make the most sophisticated story. And all of this is easy to share with Steam Workshop released just recently. The Editor is not a complex scripting system, it’s a separate program with intuitive interface.If any goons make a good scenario, bug me and I will put it into the official release at some point later!

Steam Workshop
Scenarios, mods with anything can be shared via Steam Workshop. Granted, since it was released just recently, it doesn't have pretty much anything at the moment but it's bound to change!

How ready is the game now?

The game is in late beta. This means:
  • The game is more or less table;
  • UI is in process of transition, will be changed soon;
  • Not all sound effects are present;
  • There are no video SFX (spell effects, attacks);
  • Only a part of the content is available (3 scenarios of the main campaign, two extra scenarios).

Is it more strategy or RPG?
It’s an RPG like King’s Bounty. Strategy is merely a possibility to grow your strength by taking over lands. The more you have castles and villages, the larger is your income the more powerful army you can have. All like in real medieval times.

Is it a story-driven game or a sandbox?
Story plays an important role in our game, there is no sandbox mode. But we have something better than “sandbox” - Scenario Editor, where players can express their vision on how the game should play. Story based scenario is harder to do, but skirmish like one is way easier. Cursed Castle scenario is available now as an illustration of this kind of a sandbox. I personally played it over 15 times and had lots of fun each single time. To be completely objective, I play tested it about 5 times, but still.

How many ours of gameplay?
We think that main campaign would take 30-40 hours. But some of the players now played first three scenarios and it took them 30 hours and they were pretty happy. So, it is likely that the campaign will take more than 40 depending on your style of playing. Also, the game has Masquerade and Cursed Castle scenarios and they each are about 4-6 hours of gameplay.

How about multi-player?
There won’t be multiplayer in the first release version. Maybe it will appear in expansions. Not only we don’t have the time and resources to do it, but also we have little to none ideas how to actually do it. The only thing that comes to mind is something like Banner Saga: Factions.

Will the be a port to Linux and Mac?
Yes, it is planned after PC release.

I will add more answers here as time goes by.

List of Legends of Eisenwald Goons Post your Steam ID to be added!
Feindfeuer
Arnold of Soissons
Megadyptes
Mugsbaloney
Dreadwroth
DrManiac

Steam Group http://steamcommunity.com/games/246760
Web site http://aterdux.com
Facebook - good to follow dev diaries https://www.facebook.com/legendsofeisenwald

Aterdux fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
New interface will be released soon. Here are two screens how it will look like:

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
This looks really cool and super-relevant to my interests. From your post I'm guessing you're involved with the game development somehow? Can you tell us a little about what you do? I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about a game you're closely connected to as long as you're clear and honest about it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no chainmail bikinis? well you lost me

but seriously, your game (i'm guessing you are one of the developers by the language you use and your avatar) looks fun and i've kept my eye on it since the kickstarter.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I actually picked this up on steam quiet a while ago, I think when it was first released on Early Access. I had quiet a bit of fun in the short time I invested and only dropped it cause people demanded that I stop playing those stupid singleplayer games and start killing internet men with them in any of the common online shooter games.

Anyway, I'll think I'll see if I still got it installed and fire it up again.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald

Fargo Fukes posted:

This looks really cool and super-relevant to my interests. From your post I'm guessing you're involved with the game development somehow? Can you tell us a little about what you do? I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about a game you're closely connected to as long as you're clear and honest about it.

I am a head of the company that makes this game, this is in my profile. SA forum was a great help during our Kickstarter campaign (without us doing anything) and a bit after the campaign ended I registered here and started posting once in a while.

My basic responsibilites are overall management, finances, PR and community management since I am only one in the company that speaks decent English.

Feindfeuer posted:

I actually picked this up on steam quiet a while ago, I think when it was first released on Early Access. I had quiet a bit of fun in the short time I invested and only dropped it cause people demanded that I stop playing those stupid singleplayer games and start killing internet men with them in any of the common online shooter games.

Anyway, I'll think I'll see if I still got it installed and fire it up again.
Some of us are killing tanks instead of people :)

No chainmail bikinis! Yeah, this is hard to live with, no?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
wow when you guys first landed on Early Access I played what was available then and loved it, but it looks like youve done a ton since then. I was planning on waiting for the game to be finished before I reinstalled it, but playing a scenario map sounds like a great idea.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald

Arnold of Soissons posted:

wow when you guys first landed on Early Access I played what was available then and loved it, but it looks like youve done a ton since then. I was planning on waiting for the game to be finished before I reinstalled it, but playing a scenario map sounds like a great idea.
Yes, playing Cursed Castle won't give you any spoilers and there is a lot to experiment with! :) Added you to the list!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So how does Cursed Castle work? Like, what kind of scenario is it, how does it work, and what makes it so open world? I'm a sucker for open world games, and the quasi-historic medieval setting piqued my interest.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald

Archonex posted:

So how does Cursed Castle work? Like, what kind of scenario is it, how does it work, and what makes it so open world? I'm a sucker for open world games, and the quasi-historic medieval setting piqued my interest.

Well, you basically start with a castle and few troops and then you have to go around and figure out your way to complete your objective. Keep your castle, take over others, fight other knights and rogues. Many players wanted open world-like or skirmish-like scenario and that's what we did to show that it's possible to do with our scenario. The main campaign is heavily story driven, Cursed Castle is not but it still have a number of fun side quests and things to do. If you like it, you might as well check it out. We made it based on the Cursed Lake scenario from our first game Discord Times.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I backed the kickstarter and have played around with it a few times and it's pretty fun. didn't want to play too much 'til the full game is out but I'll check out this cursed castle scenario, sounds cool.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
Yes, and the best part - no spoilers or anything just by playing Cursed Castle. One negative aspect for those who never played the game might be to get used first to the current interface and switch to the new a few weeks later. But I think that's not that hard to handle. We switched internally in the office relatively fast, it took a just a few days.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
An empty map with a screen shot is rather popular in our Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=290302552

And I honestly have no idea why. Give 5 star to something you don't even download? Or is it just a vote of support???

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I dug this thread out from page 9 because it's on sale on steam today! I've been ogling this for a long time and I'm just about ready to take the plunge, but I first wanted to hear about how this game is shaping up and whether its development during the last few months has been promising?

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Oenis posted:

I dug this thread out from page 9 because it's on sale on steam today! I've been ogling this for a long time and I'm just about ready to take the plunge, but I first wanted to hear about how this game is shaping up and whether its development during the last few months has been promising?

I bought this too, seems good so far but kinda stuck taking my first castle in the campaign- wish I hadn't picked the book dude for my main...

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
Playing with a Mystic is rather tough in the beginning but after a few levels up it gets much easier. Taking castle in tutorial you mean? Mercenaries should greatly help out there. Also, make sure to buy some weapons and equipment.

Thanks for digging up the thread and announcing our sale, I was going to do that myself.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Your game looks pretty fun, so I'm in I guess! It will keep me entertained while I get ready to move to a new state and look for a shiny new job. Hope my :tenbux: helps!
EDIT: Holy poo poo, Lowtax retired the "tenbux" smiley? What the gently caress?

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
Dreadwroth, it is entertaining if you like RPGs and turn based combat. Hmm, I didn't know there was :tenbux: smiley! That would have been very appropriate here and pity it's retired! It definitely helps!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There totally was for years, weird there seems to be a "thirtybux" one now how odd! I do indeed love me some tactical tun based RPG games, but I am balls-deep in Mass Effect 2 again, so as soon as I get done loading up the mountain of DLC I have for that game I will try yours out and give an unbiased first impression of it. It looks really cool, hell gently caress it I'll go play it right now. :cheer:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I see :10bux: here just fine.

Aterdux posted:

I was going to do that myself.

You probably should avoid doing that. Let the community dig your game and post on the thread.

I know there is interest -- your game did rather well when it came in discussion on the Greenlight thread (when that meant something), so it should happen naturally.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well I suck, I bit off a lot more than I could chew. It would be really awesome to add a tutorial so you know what is going on. Pretty promising so far though, and drat nice-looking. I like it!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The main campaign has a tutorial. Unless you meant a more thorough tutorial, but I've no idea how much fancy stuff the engine could handle.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahhh I'll have to look at that.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
Saoshyant, thanks for suggestion, I guess I better stay in responce mode then.

There is tutorial right now but honestly - it sucks. We are remaking it together with the UI. This is how it will look like:

It will have more instructions on pictures instead of popping out hints that easily get out of place and out of sequence.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahhh that is pretty great, I did find the tutorial and it's not that bad actually. So far I am really liking this game of yours, did you base it on historically accurate stuff? It feels like it takes place in Germany back in the midevil age, what with the Heinrichs and whatnot. I do find it a bit weird that I can't equip the horse to my homie in the white armor even though it looks like I should be able to.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
All armor, weapons and things in the game are historically accurate. The story is fictional but based on medieval time, so you might say it's close to historical but with a portion of mystery and some otherworldly stuff.

As for a horse - only units that have ability to use a lance can ride it. In the Prologue only Berthold can ride a horse but not your knight hero - he needs to get a skill "Lancer" first. And lance should go into the right slot which is a main weapon slot.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there anyway to change the in-game resolution? It cuts off a bunch of stuff when I play on my laptop but I can't change it to anything lower. I literally can't play because I can't get past the rumor section in the tutorial.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 9, 2014

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
If your resolution is lower (I guess that's your case), select the interface size in the Options in main menu. For 1366x768 you need to select small.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

How feature complete is the game now? I'm looking to pick it up and I'm wondering if I should just wait until it releases if there's still a lot of content and stuff that needs implementing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald

Radiation Cow posted:

How feature complete is the game now? I'm looking to pick it up and I'm wondering if I should just wait until it releases if there's still a lot of content and stuff that needs implementing.

It's pretty much feature complete with a few exceptions: combat log is missing, SFX are missing and some interface niceties like ability to equip armor and weapons in markets. Most of the people who are afraid to spoil their experience with incomplete story would be well advised to play single scenarios like Cursed Castle while leaving the main campaign not touched.

Sorry for not replying for a long time. (Is there something like email notificaitons here?)

We are now at the Igromir game expo in Moscow, here are some of the pictures:

• Locked thread