Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I'm hoping some experienced folks can help me with some treehouse questions. I'm trying to put a playhouse we have about 5 feet up a tree for my kids. The playhouse is about 55" x 47", so not very large. I have three decent trees in the backyard to work with. This is the plan I've got so far:

(The big brown box is the playhouse for scale.)

Basically, 2 2x10x10ft. boards as beams, 2x6's as joists, and either 2x4's or 2x6's as decking material. Since I only have the three trees, I was going to use a 6x6 post to support the other corner.

In looking online, it looks like I shouldn't have the joists more than 2' beyond the beam, so I think I need to shift the whole deck over about a foot since they're 2'8" or so over the one beam right now.

For hardware to attach to the tree, I was going to use the 1.25" lag bolts and floating brackets from here:
http://www.treehousesupplies.com/1_25_Floating_Bracket_p/br-f1.25.htm

My questions:

1. Is this going to be sturdy enough? I don't want my kids falling out of a tree because my design is crap.

2. Is this overkill? It seems like a lot... more... than most of the treehouse plans I've seen.

3. Is there a way to get rid of the 6x6 support and only use the trees? The angle seemed bad for that, but I wasn't sure if anyone knew another way to support that corner.

Once I get this done, I'll work on stairs, etc.

Since I never had a treehouse as a kid (and always wanted one), I think this will be cool when I get it done, assuming I can get it strong enough that I'm not terrified to let the kids up there.

I also have to say once you figure out how to make it work, Google Sketchup is pretty cool for a free program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Seems good to me, those lag bolts are tested at 55000lbs, so that covers 5500lbs of actual construction. Where I got the numbers: http://stlouistreehouse.com/hardware_information

If you don't want a post and plan on stairs, you could use the stairs as a support for the corner.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Here's one other thought I had:

The upside is that it's simpler, has the most attachments to the biggest tree, and doesn't use the support - the downside is that on the one side, the beam hangs out for 10 feet past its supporting tree, which seems like it would act as a huge lever. To fight that, I could add a support beam diagonally out from the one tree.

I thought about doing it the other way, with the farthest-away tree having both beams attached, but that tree's only about 10" in diameter, so I'm worried about putting in two giant lag bolts 180˚ apart.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
You can do that as long as you put some triangle bracing to the unsupported corner.

It has long slots to accommodate swaying and that could be a substitute for those brackets you are looking at.

source
http://loganmsmith.com/forest-tree-house/

• Locked thread